Quote:

Sounds like you own a really rare and cool car.

The "N" code and E63 on the fender tag only tell you the car came with a 383-4bbl; it does not tell you which version, 330 horse or 335 horse, the car actually recieved. Many sources incorrectly list the 68 and 69 H code and the 70 N code as the HP version of the 383.

You need the broadcast sheet to know which engine assembly was installed.

"L" is the code for the 2bbl 383. I don't think I've seen a source that lists the "L" code for a 383-4bbl 330 horse car.

------------------------------------------
Thanks for the great comments, it seems my manners were left at the door.

Do you also consider official 1970 Plymouth service manuals and official Mopar 1970-71 parts catalogs to be among the sources you 'know' that have incorrectly stated that N is a wrong code letter for 1970 HP 383 335hp?

If not an N, then what letter do you say your prayers to every night? If you were president of Chrysler in 1970...what code would you give the HP motors to differentiate to assembly workers that a 4 door Fury should never get a 'Cuda or R/T's V8? Its tantamount to saying that a 1970 R/T Chally got a 350hp 440 station wagon motor. Lol!!

'Cuda and Challenger were performance models, not 4 door grocery getters. They may have only gotten Hi Po motors installed, no two barrels, the Magnum and Super Commando engines and one hot 340. I like that, never say never, who am I to say. Don't you guys have the same Mopar factory books I do, why do you see it differently?

If one letter, N in this case, was designated for a HP engine, then all others naturally fall under a different letter, in this case, Mopar would give the 2bbl and non-performance 330hp 4bbl's the letter L. Non-performance 383 = L in VIN's 5th place. Just like a 440/440HP/440sxpk (T, U, V)

Also, I've never seen one source that lists a non-performance 330hp 383 as an N code!! Mopar sources state N is 383HiPerformance in 1970...only. Read...only. N = HiPerformance -nothing else, no other motors included. Why so hard to understand?

The sales code was E63, N codes installed into E Body - L code 330hp 4bbl into C body, B body 4 door, etc. Same with 440, non-performance engines installed into grocery getter, 375hp HiPo for all 'Cuda's and R/T's, GTX, etc. That is simple enough, keeps the non-optional Magnum engines from ending up in a 4 door Satellite.

Why would the N represent 383 4bbl's as a whole. The E63 was given to do just that - they didn't need to offer two distinctions, N and E63, did they?!?! Think about it before replying guys.

There were E61 L code 383 2bbl's, and E63 L code 383 4bbl non-HP 330 hp motors (most destined for 4 doors and the like.) Who agrees? Nobody here agrees?!?!