I have a feeling I'm going to regret this.....

Quote:

That's not why I posted this question. The answer to your question has been posted. It's quite obvious its not clear yet , I have read many of the membes say they think, and then concede they think Dan is right, and he may be, GG costs too much to ask personally, he's the expert witness. GG is not the only person qualifed to speak on Mopars. He's just very visible and published. While he's acknowledged as a great source of info and respected for compiling a ton of useful information, his works and statments are know to contain errors.

Now then, I stated, I use the 1970 factory service manual, the 1970 Mopar parts catalog, and 1970 Barracuda owner's manual to find my answers. I have researched for 19 years, maybe not as hard as others here. In this official factory literature, it states, the N code 383 is a HiPo in 5th VIN digit, and all others are L code. This only leaves two versions, the 2bbl and the 4bbl 330hp. This does it for me, the N in the VIN for engine is only used for one engine, the 335hp Road Runner engine from 1968. No one has convinced me otherwise that there are mutiple N code engines, that goes against everything Mopar printed in their factory literature! Why belive anyone but Mother Mopar. The 70 N code is an administrative code that only indicates the car has a 383-4bbl. It does not tell you which version, HP or non HP, engine the car recieved. Only the broadcast sheet, or the tag on a Lynch Road built car, can verify which assembly the car car recieved

All info I've ever seen states the 335hp 383 was standard on 'Cuda and Challenger. What members here are saying is a 'Cuda or R/T with an automatic didn't get a super commando/magnum engine. That's not what has been said. Installation of the HP engine in some models was contingent on tranny. A/C is another component that affects whether or not the car got an HP engine. Wrong. For one, I have an article from a book 'Plymouth Barracuda' full of 1970 road tests by different magazines like Road and Track from Road test magazine June 1970 in where there is an automatic 383 'Cuda being tested and it has a SuperCommando pie tin and did the 1320 in 14.4 seconds @ 98.97 mph. Sounds like a hi po motor to me.

Think about it, why would they not install a HP motor in their two performance models, the Ebodies, just because customer ordered an automatic, that makes no sense. The carb certainly didn't give the extra 5 horses. The auto tranny did not affect which engine a 'Cuda recieved.

Also, break out a 1970 Mopar parts catalog if you have one handy. Fuel - section 14-11. The 383 4bbl automatic cars came with both Holleys and Carter's, it depends on shaker hood option, w/ECS, w/out ECS, a/c, no A/C as well as auto or manual (3 & 4 speeds). So there is another false statement provided by one member that only Carter's were installed on automatics. A 383 4BBL auto w/out A/C and w/out ECS came with either a Holley R4368A or a Carter 4736S, as is in my case, I got the Carter 4736S.

All 4bbl 383's had high compression 10.5 to 1 pistons, unless an export model. The 440HP cam and springs makes the extra 5 horses, not the Holly carb found on most 4 speeds.

So, what carb came on a 383 4bbl with a 3 speed? Depends on above.

My N code 383 does not have an HP stamped next to 383 on the pad near distributor hole. This too may be a clue. Always bothered me, kept me curious. If anything, there is difinitve proof your car is not an HP car and that N does not equal HP

Why am I wrong in quoting Mopar literature directly that all 1970 N codes are HP 383 335hp, & all others (290hp/330hp) are L code? Because that info is incorrect even if it is from Chrysler. Don't blame the messenger! I'll believe my Mopar literature before believing anyone here or anywhere for that fact. Then you will miss out on A LOT of very interesting information on this Board. Mopar issued publications that contain known errors or have been found to not be entirely correct. If you believe everything published by Mopar is absolutly, entirely and without question 100% correct is to do so at your own risk. You'd think that the added weight and power loss of the A/C would dictate the added 5 horses was neccessary.

Also, there were 59 2bbl E convs, but, there are also 59 total 4bbl's w/ 3, 4spd, and auto, combined, do the math, 118 total 383's built. It just so happens that adding 36 + 17 + 6 = 59 = the 59 2bbl as well = 118 total.

My suggestion is to relax a little, pop a top on a cold drink, sit back, and read some of the posts by folks like Dan, Nigel and Randy. I think you'll find out how truly amazing some of these members are in their depth and breadth of knowledge and the resources they have at their fingertips. (plus they'll do it for free) There are some of the best e-body guys in the world on this site. You could learn a lot from them if you want...

Seeking:

1969 St. Louis plant VINs, SPD, and VONs.
Over 2,000 thanks to you!