Quote:

NOBODY argues the strength of a stock Dana, but for a RACE CAR, that makes a lot of torque, I don't care how thick and beefy the tubes are, you ARE going to bend them.....period, end of story. You can't properly support the axle tubes on a rear drop out style rear end. And any attempt to do so makes it even more heavy that it already is. Also, the DANA pinion is beefy, but the Ford has support on both ends of the pinion, so no matter how big the Dana pinion is, the FORD is BETTER supported and therefore stronger, as far as gear mesh. With a properly braced housing, a good center section and a good pinion support, a 9" style rear is virtually indestructible. And you need to look no further than the fastest door cars on the planet to realize this...............guys that continually break those rears, either DON'T have the right parts, or it is not set up right.

I have run 9" Ford style rears for 30 years in various cars. The ONLY things I have ever broken were a mini-spool and a couple "street" gear sets.

Now, for a street/strip car and also many race cars as well, there is no right or wrong, just depends on what you prefer. My preference is I DON'T want a truck rear end in my race car and am NOT going to use one. If you do, that's fine and obviously YOUR preference.

Monte

These are the reasons for my choice and it at least looks CLOSE to an 8 3/4..............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....