Most "fast" cars that have 8.8, 12 bolts, 8.75, etc, rears have them, because at one time the car was not near that fast and the rear under it was "good enough" at that time. As time wears on, a complete replacement is usually a pretty good cost, so the OK rear gets patched and band aided to try and make it passable. Nobody in their right mind is going to start a NEW build and say "I think I will put an 8.8 rear in my new low 5 sec radial car"..........c'mon.

The Buick we currently race in Drag Radial, had a 10 bolt under it when we bought it. The car had run 5.50s with small blocks when we bought it and our big block made it a 5.20 car right off the bat. We ran the 10 bolt until we broke it (which wasn't long). The point was, the car "evolved" from a streeter to a low 5 sec car and the 10 bolt was "good enough" to a point.......then it wasn't.........so in Dom's case, moving from an 8.75 TO an 8.8 under his car........well he may as well light that money on fire, because it will accomplish the same thing.

Monte