Quote:

I would get a jy dana 70, 40 spline axles and put ford ends on with explorer or crown vic brakes. 10.5 ring gear and no heaver than the 60....and it comes with .5 thick tubes. You could build this for about $900 if you get a deal on a housing with the gears you want.

I got my 60 for $75, it was 600 to narrow and shafts from Dutchman. Pick your locker/posi unit and gears, you may get lucky and get what you want from the yard.... Brakes were $80 for the explorer discs I got a 3.55 r&p for $55, real Dana, so with a little work you can get a real nice setup fairly affordable...that will be indestructible.
Tim

Well, not indestructible, but it will take quite a beating !
I ran a 4.10 geared stock Dana with a clutch type posi, shimmed so the clutch packs were locked solid. Wulla! instant cheap spool! That and a pair of spring perches, and axle ends to weld on and you are ready to go. The drive shafts might inter change as well or need a cross over joint. If the clearance is a little tight to the tranny a few shims behind the spring hangers take care of that.
Dom, I doubt I changed your mind, but posted this for those who might need a poor mans rear end swap! Hope you find exactly what you want!

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky