Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If cost is issue the nice thing about the 8 3/4 to Dana swap is parts. If you make the Dana 1" narrower than the current 8 3/4 the current ends can be cut off and reused, along with the axles and brakes. The stock gears will take a ton of abuse. Buy a used Dana that features a 4.10, cut it up and add spool, done.
Doug

You can put mopar ends on a nine inch and use your existing brakes and axles too.

The 9" obiviously enjoys huge aftermarket support. True those components would work, but would you use a factory 9" carrier? I'd bet not. How about using a stock unbraced 9" housing? I'm not up on the quality of the factory 9" gears. They may be usable? My point is the Dana is very stout in stock form and cheap.
Doug

Even with all of their aftermarket support, they still have a smaller pinion than a Dana 44, that is why I would upgrade to a 70, cheap, lots of choices and easy to build. All of the big truck manufacturers used them, AMC, IHC, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, etc. Could not have been that bad for all of them to use them in their heavy duty applications.
Some info comparing a truck 70 vs 60
http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/Dana_70_Rear_Axle/index.html

If I was building a truck, I would consider a 70. But I am building a race car so I wouldn't use one if it was given to me.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction