Quote:

Years ago was at Texas Motorplex and opted to sit in the brand new finish line seats. Cory Mac had a blower come apart at about 1300 ft. As he hit the chutes, one of the rotors managed to free itself from the case and come flying across the track at a good 300+ mph, whizzed past the bleachers and bounced off the ground creating a huge dirt plume. There was two girls walking up the return road and the rotor continues after the bounce to whiz right over their heads missing them by a foot or two. The rotor then bounced in the dirt again and cartwheeled over a row of park cars and disappeared into a corn field. When the rotor bounced over the girls on the return road we were all in the finish line stands screaming for them to "WATCH OUT!". They never saw it go whizzing by. I opted out of the stands for the remainder of the day and hit the fence line near the starting line where in my opinion the probability of getting hit with debris is reduced. I'd say most are not cognizant of the possibility of getting hit until you see something like what just happened at Phoenix...

The 1978 US Nationals a blower came off of a car and hit a photographer in the back of the head(killed him immediately) as he panned the camera around following the car. That led to some serious blower strap/restraint implementations. Some time before that Clayton Harris, in one of his "New Dimension" dragsters, had a clutch come apart at the starting line and that killed a fan in the bleachers adjacent to it. I believe that was in Martin Mi.