Terrible indeed. Anytime I have seen wheel studs sheered off it was because the wheels were not torqued properly, retorqued or checked once in a while in the case of us bracket racers that make a whole season on a set of tires. I know they change the tires on a TF car quite often and humans do overlook things from time to time. This accident happened early in the run and had nothing do do with high speeds so slowing the cars down in this case would have not solved anything. I have seen 12 sec street cars send wheels flying that could just as easily killed someone, maybe not as far away. Gary Bagshaw wrecked and debree killed a couple people in the stands at Gateway many years ago and IIRC was only a high 9 sec car. Hate me if you will for being different than the majority on this post, but the top fuel class is pretty much unlimited and the goal is to make it as quick and fast as posible and that is what the fans show up to see. Slowing them down would kill spectator count. The drivers and fans know of the dangers. Freak accidents will allways happen no matter how much is done to prevent them.

Also ESPN anounced the completion of this race tomorow including resuming with 2nd rnd of Pro Stock. If they dont complete the Pro stock race in Phoenix the fans should be getting a refund on there high $$$$ tickets.