I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it's time to slow those fuel cars down. The accident rate in the past several years has been very high....the last period I remember being like this was the 67-69 period when all the cars were being sawed in half by slider clutches.

It seems to me that the sport, professionally, is at a crossroads. NASCAR had the same decision to make back around 1970 or so when the winged cars were running speeds actually faster than what they run today.

My way of thinking is that those cars are so powerful, so violent, and so quick that it is almost impossible to react if something goes wrong. The driver just belts himself in and goes for the ride.

They can be slowed down without sacrificing the show. Smaller blowers, single mags, and a limit on fuel pump size would be a good place to start.

Instead, my fear is that NHRA will make some sweeping rule change, applying some new rule to everyone from TF to the regular bracket guy to spend several hundred dollars on the latest trick from some sponsor that just happens to post some contingency money. They will do this rather than make some changes in the way the fuel classes are run, lest they tick off some big money sponsor or Fuel owner.

Did you hear Greg Anderson's comments regarding the Pro Stockers? What were they doing running when the track was in that shape? NHRA hosts Full Throttle events one on top of the other, no break, no latitude to change the schedule to make things right. It is all about TV, and the "show must go on".

I am sorry for my cynicism, but NHRA has basically lost credibility to me, and has for several years. I remember when the motto was "dedicated to safety". I really don't like feeling this way about the grandfather of drag racing organizations. But, I do.

The more I see what is going on, the more I continue to love Nostalgia racing. Give me my Nostalgia Super Stocks any day.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com