Originally Posted by TobiasM
Originally Posted by moparx
there was a local guy that bought a 66 belvedere hemi car and turned it into a dirt track racer when new.
i do not remember where it was purchased.
this car ended up in the impound lot because of an unfortunate incident involving a fatality.
the guy was testing the car on a state road in front of his house and hit another motorist, killing him.
after the incident investigation was completed, the car was stripped of it's drivetrain and the body was crushed.
i remember looking at it through the chain fence at the impound lot, and seeing the large front page picture and article that was reported in the local newspaper.
as a side note, my wife became very close friends with this guy's daughter. she was my wife's first friend she made when she came to this area from minnesota.
beer

Thanks @moparx, so one more new car, will add it as car#38 “unknown27 (destroyed)”.

Do you by chance remember any further details of that car: color ext. / colour int. / trans / VIN#.

Any photos taken of this “beast behind chains”?

i will try to search the local newspaper and our library to see if there are any saved copies of the paper the accident was published in.
almost all, if not all persons of this family are gone now, and as to the pictures the family of this racer may have had, are more than likely scattered in the wind.
the newspaper has been bought many times over the years, so i'm not very confident of finding anything there.
the history center is expanding quite rapidly here, as they have purchased a very large building. that may be a place to look as well.
as for pictures taken through the impound fence, back then, i never gave it a thought. i didn't own a camera anyway, and "throw away-one time use" cameras were years in the future. poloroid cameras were around at that time, but were expensive.
from what i can remember, at least what the spiders will allow to show through the cobwebs, that car was a light color. white, light blue ? maybe i'm way off...........
i guess i have some "homework" to do. i will try my best, but i can't promise anything.
beer