Al, That's much prettier than my rat tail filing I did to make room for the rivet.

I got 6 of the pistons installed over the weekend, I was really nervous about rolling an oil ring since they are so small but so far so good (I probably just jinxed myself).

.026 ring gap on both top and bottom rings per Total Seal, I think I had 2 end up being closer to .028-.029... oops

The main and rod called for just oil on the threads so it wasn't as messy as other motors.

The washer on the rod bolts is like 1/4" thick and didn't seem removable, so that was different, just had to take out the bolt, clean it, oil it and then install and torque it in 1 single motion to 75lbs. I didn't check the bolt stretch, they were just ARP2000 bolts. But I do use the bolt stretch method with using the custom age 625 bolts.

That was my first time to install the "dog bone" rear main seal, it was interesting but I think it's a good design.

There was a lot to torque on the block with the dual side bolts and the mains being 5/8". Man 120lbs torque was a work out, I could have used a longer torque wrench. (my daughter helped me oil all the threads and washers, she said she like all the oil on her hands and said if we could make a pool full of oil so she could swim in it and I proceeded to tell her that they do have oil wrestling evens to which she asked to go participate in... I left out the barely clothed women part)

Rod clearance was between .0028 - .0030
Main clearance was between .0029 - .0033

Here is how I check the clearance:
1. I checked the clearance by mic'ing the crank, locking the mic, recheck the crank and then put it in a soft jaw vice.
2. I then take a dial bore gauge and measure the main journal with the bearing and torqued at 12 and 6 position, and find the smallest measurement and Zero out the gauge and then recheck.
3. Then I take the dial bore gauge and measure the center of the mic pads that is held by the vice.

I have repeated this for all the main before but typically if it's in the .0025 - .003 range, I will just set the crank in dry and plasigauge the rest of the mains.

How do you guys check rod and main clearances?

.025 side clearance on the rods, still need to check the crank thrust clearance.

I feel like it's all down hill from here...

KB Pistions install.jpgKB Piston assymbly.jpgKB aspen.jpg