Originally Posted by 440Jim
I look forward to hearing how your engine build goes. Are you going to dyno test it?

My block was s/n 426-538 and yours is 426-536, so very close together in Ken's shop. I was happy with his machine work on the block. Bore, deck height, mains, etc.
I expect you will have to clearance the block for the pushrods, my 440-1 heads needed a little more then Ken machined the block. My head opening is traced, but I only needed a little with the grinder right where my pushrod was touching (look carefully at my pic for the grinder).

I may have told you about my experience with the oil to the lifter galleys. Back then his blocks had the oil going around the rear cam bearing to the rear holes for the lifter galley. That special groove around the outside of the cam bearing was a nice restrictor and I didn't need any additional oil restricting for push rod oiling. I put an oil pressure gauge on the main oil supply galley (priority main oiling) and a second gauge on the top/back of the block while priming the system on the engine stand. Are you using spray bars for the B1 heads?

The one set of B1 intake spacers I saw had very small openings, and significant variation from one port to the next. A lot of material to remove, and the angled intake manifold bolt holes and port angles may need a hand grinder for final work after milling the spacers a little closer to size. This is what I saw (pic).

Jim, I'll be careful to check for pushrod clearance as you pointed out.

I've haven't totally decided on plan for head/rocker/push rod oiling. I was originally planning to do do pushrod oiling but I'm now considering just using the standard oiling up through the block and rocker stands through the shafts to the rockers and pushrods. I wouldn't have to buy special lifters or put restrictors in the pushrods. The B1 heads have a 10/32 in the rocker stands so I can put in a restrictor of like .060 and the adjuster screws in the rockers have oil holes in the cup to oil the pushrods. Scott recommended having the #4 cam journal grooved to it would oil all the time and not pulse oil, but also been told the pulse oiling is enough and full time will put too much oil in the top end, so still thinking about that decision. (not planning to use spray bar oiling)

I had plan on going with Isky bushed lifters but I've learned of a different option that people are suggesting are even better design. BAM is making a roller lifter where they coat the pin with some coating that is harder than steel and eliminates the need for needle bearings and bushings. So without those the roller and the pins can be thicker. My understanding is this technology came from NASCAR. Doing some research on this before buying.

Regarding the intake spacers, the new spacers that come from Koffel already have a counter sunk hole in them so you can drill and tap the head for a cap screw so that was a nice improvement.

Wade Metzinger 918-809-0987
71 Cuda 9.28@145 -1s, Pglide
68 Cuda 10.64@124 1.45 60's 318->390 eddys
Moparts discount code on WIX - moparts www.Filter1.com