I was thinking about the gas situation. I wanted to race tomorrow with as little gas as possible in the tank, but of course we couldn’t let it go empty. At about 7:45 pm, somewhere in South Carolina, we pulled into a gas station. They were open, they had gas, and there was no line. And the shelves inside were full of food and snacks and stuff. Hmm…
We dipped the tank with a wooden dowel that we were using as a gas gauge, and I calculated that we should add 4 gallons. That would be just enuff to get us to the track. Then we were off in search of the 2nd and last checkpoint for today.
At 8:45 we found it. As usual, there was a couple Drag Weekers coming and going. We were getting tired, so we didn’t linger.

We drove all the way to the track entrance, so we officially completed the day 1 drive!

Then we had to continue on another 10 miles or so to the hotel. By now, I had all of my test and tunes, day one of drag week, and this days drive on the same oil, and I decided to change it tonight before we checked in to the hotel. I also needed a metal measuring cup for the Klotz, and a couple other supplys, so we found a nearby Walmart, and pulled into the outdoor garden department for the oil change. I had brought a bunch of oil and some filters, but I had nothing to drain into, so I went inside and bought a drain pan with a cover that seals. Jeff worked on the oil change, while I went back in the store for a couple more items I forgot. Here we were in Darlington, a mere 70 miles from the coast with Hurricane Florence charging in, and it was business as usual at Walmart. Hmm...

Jeff didn’t spill a drop, and I sealed up the drain pan, and hauled it and the garbage to a trash can, and left the pan next to the trash for Walmart guy to recycle.
We packed up, and got ready to depart. It was well after 10 pm, and we had been up since 4. The thought of a hotel bed sure sounded good right now. I started the car, watched the oil pressure come up, and drove about 100 feet before I looked at the oil pressure gauge again. It was at ZERO, so I killed the ignition.