After we left the gas station, we had no more rain, and good roads, so we were making great progress. We passed up Kohlman and Hemi Squirrel, it was an unbelievably cool sight to see 2 blown hemi, retro style race cars cruising down the road. Jeff grabbed his phone and filmed them as we drove by. But something went wrong, and the video failed.

With the big aluminum radiator and the 55 gpm Mezziere water pump, the Hemi was running at about 140 degrees. I would have preferred to see it at 180 in the highway. My car doesn't have a thermostat, but instead I had wired in a Davies Craig water pump/fan controller, that senses the coolant temp and modulates the voltage to the pump and turns the fan on and off to maintain 180 degrees. I wired in a selector switch that would completely bypass the controller and run the pump full speed for racing. Thus far I had only used the race mode, but it seemed that now would be a good time to flip the switch and get the motor running a little hotter. So I did.

After about a mile or so, the temp gauge had barely moved off of 140, but some water began to spray onto the windshield! I quickly flipped the switch to race, and the temp gauge shot up to about 225, then slowly started dropping. Obviously, the water pump had not been running, and it was getting hot in the heads, but not where the sensors for the Davies Craig and the temp gauge are located. So now I had to wonder, where did the water come out from? Did I do any damage? I hope its not a head gasket leak!