Drag Week Rain Video

After I was sure that the highway was dry enuff, we got rolling again to the the prescribed exit, hwy 77 south, a 2 lane road. About the time we made the turn, it started pouring again. I wheeled the coupe onto a semi-rural side street to wait it out. I checked my radar, and it showed that skys were clear just 2 miles away. Should we go for it? What if the radar is wrong, and we got into a situation were we couldn't stop? It was pouring so hard that I could hardly believe that it would be dry just 2 miles away, so we sat and waited.

With Hurricane Florence on it's way, we could be facing a LOT of rain all week. The talking heads on TV said that the towns we were heading for (Darlington, Charlotte) were being evacuated, all the food and water had been cleared from the grocery stores by panicked evacuees, and the highways were clogged with evacuees for a hundred miles, plus the filling stations were out of gas.

But still, after 5 years of effort to get this car to Drag Week, dropping out never crossed my mind. If we got caught in the hurricane, we could take shelter somewhere, I figured. If there was no food, a human can live for weeks with no food right?

And I came up with a plan to deal with the rain. I searched the web for a tire store or a junkyard, where maybe I could get some street tires and wheels, and strap the slicks to the roof. Nothing was nearby, but if we could make it to Darlington, there was hope.