So, we got thru Drag week 2014 in the Olds with only minor problems, and I came home all pumped up to resume work on the coupe, and make sure that it was ready for DW 2015 no matter what! In my mind, I was way past my disappointment of not being able to use a gen 2 hemi.
Wanting to keep the car as old school as possible, (which was required by the class rules anyway) I set up a dropped tube axle with finned aluminum Buick brakes, and retained the original front parallel leaf configuration:

Along with the 392, I also decided that instead of a 4 speed, I would use the T-56 Magnum 6 speed transmission. The 700 Lb/ft. rating and the double overdrive sounded like the hot ticket for a drag week car. True, it was modern, but it doesn’t show. I ordered the trans, bellhousing, hydraulic throw out bearing and driveshaft as a package deal from American Powertrain. They were way late in shipping it, like 5 weeks late and was in a panic calling them all the time. But finally, it showed up.

Thinking about it, what 1962 or older engine could top a well built 392 Hemi? Nothing! I had all the best 392 parts I could find, Nick did an awesome job on the heads, and I had a really cool and rare intake. It wasn’t done yet, I still was waiting on a few things, and had to blueprint and assemble it and dyno it, but things were looking good for dominating the Hot Rod class in 2015!

My friend Jeff had agreed to be trunk monkey for 2015, and was helping out on the build as well.

Then in December 2014, Hot Rod announced the new rules. The hot rod class lost the requirement for an old school build, and more shockingly to me, engine family’s up to 1968 were now allowed! realmad