Quote:

I dyno'd a 440 I built for a friend many years ago last summer. It was 8.9-1 (at the time of the build we were looking at 89.5 octane fuel), 906 heads with just a cleanup, factory intake, carb, exhaust, and a MP .474 'hemi grind cam'. Motor was supposed to be dyno'd on 91 octane fuel but due to a mixup we used 100+ octane which lowered the numbers a bit. It made [Email]386hp@5300[/Email] and [Email]462.9ftlbs@3975rpm.[/Email] Installing the factory duel snorkel air cleaner assembley DROPPED the hp to 362.9hp and 442.8ftlbs. Just flipping the lid upside down as we all did back in the day brought the hp back up to 380.9hp.
If it was mine, (your motor) I'd install a MP.528 mechanical, recurve the distributer, install a Holley street dominator intake, use the Carter 4327, and use a A/F meter to tune the carb, use an open element air cleaner assembley, install a TA 10" convertor, use a 3.55-3.91 gear, a pinion snubber and clamp the front spring segments. It would be hard to wipe the smile off your face the first time you got on the throttle.Dave

Very good advice!

I had a 71 440 with 452 heads, .528 MP cam, stock intake and headers.

While I didn't dyno, the difference between the dual snorkel and the open element K&N aircleaner (as you pointed out) was startling! I was going for the resto look but decided it was way too restrictive!

So many small things that people overlook or don't do that make a HUGE difference!