Quote:

Quote:

Maybe this will give you a few ideas. We invited the neighbors over for a 'dyno day' at the shop and made a few changes to a 7.5:1 compression 440 over about eight hours and made a dyno pull after each change. It wasn't designed to be a perfect combination, we started with stock 906 heads and used parts we had laying around.

Low compression 440 dyno test.

400 seems pretty easy as I suspected. I would think it might have done even better with the 528 solid.

I did a ring and bearing and head refresh on a '71 440 shortblock with 452 heads. CR ended up being 9.5:1.

With a.528 MP solid, headers, recurved dist. and a 750 3310 Holley being the only mods, it did a 13.50@104mph. No traction and horrible 60ft. times. With slicks and decent springs it would've easily hit 12's. It was a torque monster on the street! 2500 stall converter and 3.23 highway gears. The .528 barely had a lope once warmed up! 320 HP at the rear wheels. I really feel the stock intake was a major cork in the combination.

My most recent build is kinda the opposite as I used a '75 shortblock that only needed rings and bearings as well. It was lower compression but I used 906 heads and a .484 MP hydraulic. It feels stronger than the previous motor but I haven't had it to the track. It too still has the cast iron lump of a dual plane but will be getting my Holley Street Dominator installed soon. May do a back to back comparison.

The recurve and degreeing in the cam is where most people miss the tuneup. Mr. Gasket #925B lightweight springs in a Chrysler electronic distributor feeding an MSD 6AL box is a great ignition!

Using the Holley 750 3310, I used the lightest weight spring in the vacuum secondaries as well and never had it bog. I have an 850 Demon that I'm going to try on the latest build.

Good flowing heads are KEY in making 440's run. The 906's have a slight flow advantage over all the other head castings. They wake up even the soggiest low comp. motors.