Quote:

The exhaust flange is the saem..HOWEVER they are usually on the large side and the other issue is they are wider and taller heads. So depends on what you are trying to put them in. This is another area where I feel most guys cheap out is a shelf header. If you are building a more seriouos piece the additional added expense of a few hundred for a set of custom headers shoudl not be a big deal. But that is just my opinion.

I realize that everyone SHOULD use a custom piston. But most guys wont, just a fact of life. be it cost, time, or uncertainty on their part it is what it is. Oh yeah dont recall the last time I paid $750 for a set of pistons either, usually a few hundred more. So they see that as another added expense, which it is. To me a shelf piston is a compromise and not meant to be used in an all out type build. But I accept that, I also understand people have a budget to live within. But that is an entirely different conversation.

They have their place but it is not on a big stroker set up. You can certainly use them but you are leaving power on the table. For a steet/strip car or a power adder application, or if rules of a sanctioning body require a stock valve angle then great, they can make good power. They are good heads and have their niche.

To put it brutally simply a -1 motor is just easier to do. Not so much work involved, or thought. You can buy stuff from the shelf and bolt it together. Then wonder why you have a mid 10 second BB "race" motor

Thanks for the info, Al. Was thinking of possibly upgrading in the future to B1's and I just had custom headers made for my 440-1's. Sounds like the headers will work just have to adjust them a bit to work with the B1's.

LBSR