Quote:

I have never figured out why they are not more popular period. I think there are way to many myths out there about them. However I am sure the biggest issue with most people is pistons. No one stocks a shelf piston for a B1, so you have an additional cost there. Or could be guys are happy with Indy and their stuff. As I have said a hundred times if you cannot make at least 800 hp with a set of B1 originals you are doing something seriously wrong.

Problem with that thinking is (as I'm sure you've already figured out), when you do a new build you have to order pistons anyways. Many 440-1 combos out there already run a custom piston for various reasons, so that cost is negated in a lot of builds. Yes the heads themselves are more expensive, but at this level the valvetrain is about the same cost (T&D or Jesel) for everyone and you don't have to get as aggressive with the cam to make the power you want...so you end up with a more reliable engine. Koffel should really be promoting this little detail. I think the other problem is that you can't simply throw a set of B-1's on an engine built around another head as an upgrade, without getting into the short block.