I live in Kentucky,,,,and found the following definitions,,,
Quote:

When do I need a Kentucky CDL instead of my regular Kentucky Drivers License? (note,,,this is IF you operate a COMMERCIAL vehicle, see definition of commercial vehicle at bottom)

A Kentucky CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

I also looked up rules for Ohio........and listed them .

Who Needs a CDL? – Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.01 (D)
You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles:

Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds;

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of ten thousand pounds;

I am just a weekend racer,,,,pickup truck, and a 24' enclosed, and a 3300lbs car

My GCVW (gross COMBINED weight ) is 14,000 lbs,,,, ( i looked it up on the dodge truck site)

The GVW of my truck alone is 6900 lbs (total PERMISSIBLE weight of my truck, including passengers, driver, vehicle itself, options, and cargo),,,,,i am NOT near this weight at any time,,,,

From reading the thread,,,and above quotes,,,,i DONT think i need a CDL at any time ( at least for my combination )

I think i should be withIN the rules,,,since my gross combined weight should fall BELOW 14,000 lbs,,,,

I was going to register my truck for a GCVW of 14,000 just to be safe....
I'll never be in PA with the car,,,,but do go thru Ohio and Michigan every so often.

I would think my situation applys to most of the "weekend" racer guys on here ? and hopefully the above will hold true...

ps, i also enclosed a pic of out local DOT officer....lol

I also found some definition of WHAT is a commercial vehicle
Quote:

Question
What is a commercial vehicle?

Answer
A vehicle is designated “commercial” when it is titled or registered to a company. This is a broad definition, as commercial vehicles may be fleet vehicles, company cars, or other vehicles used for business.
The Department of Motor Vehicles codes the titles and registrations at the time of issue. Under normal circumstances, a commercial registration is issued for the following reasons:

- the title was placed in the name of a company or corporation
- the vehicle is a leased vehicle and in the name of the financial institution that owns it
- the vehicle exceeds a certain weight or class and therefore is "classified" as commercial even though it may not be commercially used or commercially owned **

I still need to find out what that weight is or class,,but according to the KY rules above on CDL,,,,i still think my combo is ok,,,,,,

Lastly i found this and a DOT info.........
(key words i read is 'for BUSINESS purposes' ) which does not apply......and the wording "PRIVATELY" owned,,,and the word COMPENSATION....

Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a US DOT number?

If you are operating a vehicle in commerce (for business purposes) to transport passengers or property when the vehicle

• has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, or 10,001 lbs or whichever is greater ; or

• Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

• Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

• Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous.

(Transportation of Hazardous Materials).

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

GCWR = Gross Combination Weight Rating (truck & trailer added together)

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight including any load

GCW = Gross Combination Weight of any truck, trailer, and load

Do I need a Medical Examiners Certificate (Medical Card)?

Yes, any driver operating a commercial vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,001 lbs or more needs the Medical Examiners Certificate.

Do I need a trailer plate?

Yes, If you are using a trailer for business purposes. Only privately owned and operated trailers are exempted from licensing in Kentucky. KRS 186.675.

Do I need a KYU number?

Yes, If the vehicle has a registered weight in excess of 59,999 lbs.

Note: You can obtain a temporary KYU # from the Division of Motor Carriers.

Am I required to carry a log book?

Yes, if driver is operating a vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR 10,001 lbs or more.

There are some exemptions to the log book requirement, If the driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius,

And returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours, and

The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing the following

• The time the driver reports for duty each day

• The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day

• The time the driver is released from duty each day

• The total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with 395.8(j)(2) for

Drivers used for the first time or intermittently

If you do not meet all of these requirements, you are REQUIRED to have a log book.

Last edited by 69CHARGERMD; 08/14/08 04:23 PM.