Quote:

Quote:

The very pleasent DOT officer said this follows the federal transportation act guidelines. and if yor rig falls in the CDL requirements you must keep a log book.I will keep everyone informed as I go through the process and pending hearing and get more info.

I would think the log book would only come into play if you were traveling across country and were driving around the guidelines of maxing out the hours you drive. I have driven a truck for 22 years locally and have never had to fill out a log book!

Even though there is zero consensus on this topic, it should be clear that adpting one policy to follow likely gets you under other less understood/undesired regulations. Walk very carefully here, it is a minefield.

On log books, in a nut shell with any DOT Number records must be kept. The DoT is allowed to visit without notice during normal business hours to ensurethe records are kept and up to date. Fines can approach $50K. If you are driving more then 100 miles as the crow flies from your base ( you can only have one) you must have an up to date/hour log book showing at least the entire prior 8 days of activity for the driver in the cab ready for review. If you are UNDER 100 miles, those records can be kept at the office, and of course you must not be driving beyond legal service hours. These records and others are subject to any unannouced audit by the DOT. Think about that. Nobody here follows that, nor likely really understands it. This whole topic is a major can of worms.

Changing the law, not following it is the real answer.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.