Quote:

The problem stems from the fact that these testers are not professionals. These amateur, although well-intentioned individuals are always challenged, financially, time wise, equipment wise, and experience wise. In other words their "wise" is always a negative. Not only that, but this in not the way they make their living and therefore the have no incentive to see the project thru when the going gets tough and problems arise. And they will and they can and will be frustrating and-the big one here, EXPENSIVE. Yea baby, money and you can't budget enough for it. Been there, done that, and we'll do it again, the road to success is paved with failure, broken parts and empty check books.

When reality bites and it does, they try to cut corners and do it on the cheap. Like duh, if it was cheap everyone could and would do it. We calculated that for our shop to seriously compete in the first Challenge could cost upwards of $25,000.00 in lost time in the shop, machine work, parts, dyno and testing time and travel expenses. Many entrants do not figure their own time and think the cost is much less than it really is.

i was re-reading this part of his statement...and i think im going to go through it line by line.

"The problem stems from the fact that these testers are not professionals. "
thats not entirely true...at least two of the Moparts EM team make their livings working on HP/racing engines and/or parts.

"These amateur, although well-intentioned individuals are always challenged, financially, time wise, equipment wise, and experience wise. "
i would say the collective resources of our team were funded as well as at least half the other entries.
all the EM entries had the same amount of time to prepare and test.
the collective list of equipment used by the EM team im sure is more impressive than what Mr. Huges has in his shop, and i'd wager to say the collective experience of the team had greater depth than what Mr. Hughes could offer.

"Not only that, but this in not the way they make their living and therefore the have no incentive to see the project thru when the going gets tough and problems arise. "
uuuummm....yeah....that $100,000 prize had nothing to do with us wanting to enter. theres obviously NO incentive in that.

"And they will and they can and will be frustrating and-the big one here, EXPENSIVE. Yea baby, money and you can't budget enough for it. Been there, done that, and we'll do it again, the road to success is paved with failure, broken parts and empty check books."

read that last sentence.
soooo, failure and broken parts. he's been there, and done that.
i guess he's the only one who's allowed to make a mistake, and learn from the experience?

"When reality bites and it does, they try to cut corners and do it on the cheap. Like duh, if it was cheap everyone could and would do it. We calculated that for our shop to seriously compete in the first Challenge could cost upwards of $25,000.00 in lost time in the shop, machine work, parts, dyno and testing time and travel expenses. "

i cant think of too many individuals who would enter a contest like this with a blank check, money is no object attitude.
we didnt cut any real corners on the EM motor. the reasoning behind the decision to not bush the lifter bores in the beginning wasnt for cost reasons, but rather because the majority of the team felt it wasnt necessary.
as it turned out, that was a poor decision.

"$25,000.00 in lost time in the shop, machine work, parts, dyno and testing time and travel expenses"
its interesting that he assumes when you consider all those things that we didnt spend the equivilent of $25,000 to field our entry.
i know the intake alone had about 40hrs of labor in it. thats 40hrs that MD could have spent making money in his shop doing something else.
same goes for Dan, or Ryan, Jesse, or myself.

the point is...that entire statement has no credibility, and isnt based on any facts at all.

his ramblings are simply his way of saying, coulda, shoulda, woulda.....but in the end......he didnt.
had he fielded his own entry, kicked our butts, and took home the 100G's, id be able to swallow his rant a little easier.
until you show me you can do better....youre just talking out of your a$$.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads