Quote:

Bought a cam from Hughes and have been very pleased. Mr Hughes was also very helpful when I selected my cam.However, it appears that I may have been the one lucky soul to reach him on a good day.

Been, reading this post, very very interesting. I have had nothing but good things to say about my personal dealings with Dave Hughes. Yes, I've flattened one of his cams, yes he did not give me a new one, yes he sent me one for "cost", yes he spent at least 3 hours on the phone in subsequent calls, yes he is currently helping me figure out why I am eating valve spring shims. I can see why people think he has a holier than thou attitude, But I feel he may have some experience I don't and was interested in learning. The two conversations I've had regarding failures or "issues" he started by, IMO, laying ground rules suggesting nothing that happende was his fault. I then replyied by saying I could care less who's fault it is I just want to fix it and learn from it. After that all gaurds were put down, and the discussions began.

Is that a way to do business? Should he have said what he did? I work in corporate America. I would get fired so fast for doing/saying what was said, no I wouldn't run my business that way. But I do have to say Hughes has some interesting grinds, and at the time, comp hadn't the offering that they do today.

I'm not saying give the guy a chance, just stating the fat that I had my dealings and I think that If I went with comp or lunati or whoever, and roasted a cam I'd be in the same boat. Maybe I give people the benefit of the doubt too much.

Has anyone called him as a "customer" and asked about the story behind the rant on his web page? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say, as long as the person who calls woudl be willing to not get outwardly offended right away, I think maybe he might realize what he did was unproffessional. I'm surprised he hasn't removed it yet....

• 67 coronet 4dr, 383/727/GVOD, blown, EFI, daily driver
  • 230/238, 114°LSA cam, 1.6 rollers, 9:1 comp, 8 psi boost
  • NEW BEST ET - 12.40@110mph...