Our pit area was closer to the final turn off than the finish line, so Dad and I just found a spot on the bleacher furthest down track and settled in. It really looked difficult to find seating next to the starting line anyway, as those stands were packed and they were three deep on the fence.

While Lohnes kept telling us that the track had plenty of teeth, some of the times from the first hour, and the fact no sevens had yet been recorded, led me to believe otherwise. Doc McEntire's Pro Street NA Hemi Powered 68 Camaro had turned in 8.06,7.99,8.00 for the first three days, and went 8.14 at a DW17 best 168. Nathan Chesler's 600 inch nitrous assisted BBC powered 93 Mustang went 7.86-178 on Monday, but had blazed the tires to a stab and steer 8.32-176 in the early going at Great Lakes Dragaway. The same result occurred when Cal Hayward's Twin Turbo SBF Fox Body gave it a shot, another low eight out of a car normally in the 7.70 range!

It didn't give me much confidence for a good run when I realized that Shroeder and Ens, along with help from the Lutz family were preparing to send the Monte Smith Performance 66 Vette down the left lane.

452-Thursday-Great-Lakes-Drag-Week-2017.jpg589-Thursday-Great-Lakes-Drag-Week-2017.jpg499-Thursday-Great-Lakes-Drag-Week-2017.jpg469-Thursday-Great-Lakes-Drag-Week-2017.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines