It took eight minutes to get Lee's Satellite off track, using a set of wheel dollies. Scott Hendrix's 70 512 Duster ran a 10.65-124 to nearly duplicate his pass from Monday, then a few pairs later the track shut down for an extensive lane cleanup following what appeared to be a perfectly clean run by a CTS-V of all things. The racing was silent for twenty minutes, so we had effectively lost thirty minutes of run time in the first hour of track availability. Considering my brothers were still looking at the inside of their eyelids, that was probably a good thing for us.

With the plug change done, I fired the Valiant, made sure it was hitting on all eight properly, then drug out the timing light.
"Sit in the seat, and fire it up when I tell you to", I instructed Rachael.
"No, I'm the trunk monkey this year so I want to learn how to do it...and not just holding the light on the thingie, all of it, hooking it up, moving the plug wire holder in the back, all of it!"
I chuckled, shook my head, then drew in a deep breath and decided we had time and if she wanted to learn that was a good thing.
"First", I pointed as she looked over my shoulder, "That's the balancer, not a thingie, the piece cast into the cover with a zero mark is the timing tab, and that back there, is a distributor not a plug wire holder!"
I called Will over to man the driver's seat and showed him the process to fire the car, then talked Rachael through the entire process with my hands behind my back, letting her do it all. I realized at some point that this is really what's required to keep these old dinosaurs alive, one generation teaching the next how it was done before laptop screens with plug and play.
"So we've backed it off from 34 to 30", Rachael noted as she carefully removed the timing light leads from the engine. "Are those the settings we're going to use all week?"
"Yeah, that's pretty much it, the MSD will pull out another 9 degrees when the nitrous is applied", I explained.
"That's quite a bit isn't it?" Will asked as he climbed out of the car.
"More than you're used to hearing around my brothers, I'm sure, but small blocks are more sensitive to timing on the bottle than all their big blocks are!"

We heard Heinselmann over the loud speaker and looked up in time to see the purple AAR Cuda stop the counters at 9.31-144.
"That big Hemi is flying", Will exclaimed.
"No doubt", I agreed, "and that run is within thousandths of what he ran at Cordova, so I'm sure he and Connie will be heading for Byron shortly!"

131-Racing-Action-Tuesday-Gateway-Drag-Week-2017.jpg21740687_10156704099164899_1154454539806936703_n.jpg21762279_10155784810052112_8634761823380091937_o.jpg21743516_10155784814027112_943110246656594231_o.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines