Texans John Dodson and Jason Doisher were once again the first pair down the track. Jason's Marquis wagon put down a nice 8.54, but John's Malibu blew the radials off hard and he had to pedal. The fourth pair down saw Danny Allen's radial equipped twin turbo LS powered 65 Nova wagon blow the tires off and nearly get to the center stripe before he gathered it under control. James Karger's small tire fox body suffered the same fate two pairs later.
I looked up at Rachael, who I was teaching to gap plugs and shook my head. "I don't understand why these guys rush up there to be the first down a green track on a cool overcast morning like this. The track is going to have teeth today, but let the slower guys put some heat in it first!"
"Yeah, 'cause you're mister radial track prep expert", She quipped.
"Nope", I chuckled, "just an old Super Street racer who knows the value of being 5 or 10 sets back in line so you can get the lay of the land!"
Two pairs later Curt Johnson's small tire notch Mustang laid down a nice 8.85, and was followed up by Scott Klepinger's third gen Camaro on a super straight 8.30-166.
"See there", I pointed at the scoreboard, "now the track is coming around...ten sets in, just like I said!"
"Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while, right?" She laughed, and handed me the next plug.

The next ten pairs down the track was pretty much loaded with Mopars. The small block A-body contingent, featuring Corey Pant's 74 Duster, Marty Gorman's 72 Scamp, and a pair of black Darts, a 68 for Rod Munchiando and a 69 for Ron Maguire, all made nice clean runs comparable to what they turned in on Monday, so it appeared they could be one and done if they so chose.
Things didn't go as planned however for Lee Brooks and his 69 Satellite. A loud pop was heard at about thirty feet out and the car made a move to the wall. He expertly lifted and guided the car to a stop next to the wall, but it was clear something in the rear wasn't happy. The passenger's side rear tire looked awry, like there was a broken axle, but when they tried to push the car backwards it would bang and lock up, like a broken ring and pinion gear.
"At least he has time to fix it and make another run", Rachael commented, "unlike us if something bad happens, since you seem to be determined to wait until the last session every day!"
"Point made, little lady, but I'll live by the sword and die by the sword...it's all I know!"

Rick rr.jpgBroken Satellite.jpgBroken 2.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines