As the first session neared completion, many guys were making improvements over their Monday runs, while others were inexplicably slower. Paul Cornman's Demon made two hits, but could only manage 9.50's after starting the week with a 9.35, he would return later in the day for a 9.49-141.9 pass. The defending class Champ in Street Race Small Block NA, Jason Tabcott and his 70 Camaro, found his mojo at Gateway, with a 9.36. after an opening 9.48 Monday, so Paul would leave St. Louis with a scant eight thousands lead.

Terry Keifer's 67 Barracuda improved, as he continued to acclimate himself to the new twin turbo, blow through carb setup, turning in a 10.71-129. Scott Abbott's 67 Belvedere showed strides as well, and while the 10.26 was a nice number for the small tire B-body, the big normally aspirated, millennium headed Hemi was really starting to get attention by carding 137.6 mph.

Glenn Hunter's Pro Street Power Adder winning 56 Chevy laid down an incredible 7.47-186 mph pass, that squarely put pressure on Matt Blasco and the Dirty Dart to try and keep up with. Tom McGilton's '13 ZL-1 Camaro, also competing in that class, couldn't achieve boost on the line and idled down on his first attempt, so answers would have to wait for later in the day. Schroeder's Vette was the talk of the morning however, with a straight, problem free, 6.60-214.3 that led everyone to really start believing this might be the year. Bailey's Pro Mod Camaro rattled the tires at the top of low and made a move to the center stripe. He gathered it in, and managed a 7.41-214, but like so many of us, they would have to come back for the all-run session in the afternoon.

The SME cars were well into their runs before the rest of our group filled out the pits. Rachael immediately grabbed the grille out of Darren's truck, and started preparing to feed everyone. The group looked surprisingly well rested as they methodically began prepping and unloading.
"10:55", I raised my arm to examine a non existent watch, "thought you were going for a record!"
"Considering we rolled into Noble a few years ago with mere minutes to make a pass, this seems fairly routine", Dale shrugged.
"How many passes have you made so far?" Boone inquired, as I helped him and little Billy push the trailer back from the Duster.
"Uhh...well, I'm pitted all the way back here, and the starting line just seems so far away...".
"What have you been doing?"
"Scouting the competition, getting the lay of the land, making crucial adjustments to the car...".
"Rachael!"
"I think he took another nap under the car...he was down there for a long time", she laughed.

97-Racing-Action-Tuesday-Gateway-Drag-Week-2017-1.jpg222-Racing-Action-Tuesday-Gateway-Drag-Week-2017-1.jpg21741204_10155784817037112_4484227518946848549_o.jpgIMG_0451.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines