Actually if you pull the pentastar connector off of the ECU yes you dont have to take off the black/yellow wire from the coil neg primary post, just pull the coil wire out of the dist cap terminal & make/break jumping the coil neg primary terminal to ground with a jumper & see if the coil wire held 1/4 from ground makes sparks & I would do it in run and in crank. if it sparks then that tells you all is good ex for either the ECU, the dist, their respective wiring. then plug everything back in & drag the pickup body half male metal tip across the intake metal surface & same deal, see if the coil wire sparks in run and in crank & in fact I would do that first & if it sparks then the dist pickup is the issue but with you showing continuity on it I don't think it is the pickup but it is an easy first test (& yes this ain't a "factory" procedure) but it is safe/effective. The newer orange boxes do have a higher failure rate than the old ones did but we are the fixit dept so we (mostly) do get bad news here & it did run so it is wired right so K.I.S.S. (keep it simple sam) does point to the ECU as the culprit. & make sure the ECU is grounded well.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth