It sure seems to me that it is pointing to a defective ECU. However, once again night has overtaken me and we are headed back down into the 20's, so I will get the answers to your questions tomorrow. Following the instructions that came with the conversion kit, I did check the reluctor gap when I took the new distributor out of the box. It was no where near where it was suppose to be and with a brass feeler gauge I set it to .008 of an inch, as instructed. Of course it could have moved, so I will check it again tomorrow. Following my Chrysler service manual, I did try to get a spark out of the coil wire by momentary taps with a test lead on the negative post to ground with the coil wire 1/4 inch from ground, but it didn't call for me to remove the black/yellow wire from the negative post (the only wire on the negative post) and it only had me try it with the switch in the run position; nor did it have me try it with the zigzag connector. In every instance, with and without the harness connected, I never got a spark. Just to be sure, I will try everything you ask tomorrow. My question now is about the, as you said, ". . .infamous orange box." I am guessing the use of "infamous" in this instance is not a good thing. I know about carrying a spare part in the glove box. I also drive a '67 Corvair and never leave home without a spare belt and clutch cable. But I also know, with my luck, I will have just cut my hand off on the table saw and need to rush myself to the ER when the 5th Ave. will give me another no start. So are there better, more reliable boxes? I don't have to tear this conversion apart to send it in just to have them send me another orange box? Thanks