Quote:

Firs off I want to say that I really love this build. I get so tired of the numbers matching 100 point restorations or straight race cars, it's really nice to see someone with tons of creativity and the skills to match. It would be really killer if you could do a how-to thread with pictures on how to make the jig for the front suspension. I weld and have made jigs for small things but never anything like your Corvette front suspension jig. I know you are really busy with the build and all but if you have some time some day I would really appreciate it and I know a lot of other guys would too.

Thanks for the compliments.

Jigs are easy. Here is one I did for my '37 Plymouth truck.

Set the car at the desired ride height. I knew the overall diameter of the tires I was going to use so I just used wood bucks. This sets the suspension at the proper angles for a given ride height.

Block the body so it will not move. Measure the track width. I get a front and rear measurement from outside brake rotor to outside brake rotor. Remove the suspension components. Build jigs to locate all suspension points. Upper and lower control arms, sway bars, and steering rack. I use washers with a piece of tube inside. Bolt the jig pieces back to the chassis.

It's not necessary to make the wheel turn like I did. I have a fat fender truck, tire width will be critical to turn. If you want to do this, you will need the spindle inclination.

This jig on the front bolts into all the suspension attachments. To get it off the vehicle, it needs to come apart. You can bolt it together like a clamshell, or use DOM tubing that will slide together. I may have to narrow my track width for the truck, so this one slides together. On the 'Cuda, I wanted to keep the geometry exact, so that one used a clamshell bolt together jig. If you use a slide jig, make sure the rack mount locations are on the "fixed" part of the jig. I have the end jigs marked in increments. If I narrow the track width, I move each end in the same amount and will then use a narrower rack. Again, this is a small old truck. This what not necessary on the Cuda.

Last edited by CJD Automotive; 05/03/12 10:35 AM.

Craig Scholl
CJD Automotive, LLC
Jacksonville, FL
www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com
904-400-1802

"I own a Mopar. I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification"