Moparts

My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build.

Posted By: CJD AUTOMOTIVE

My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 10:28 PM

It all started years ago as a simple repaint and mild 340 six pak setup.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 10:34 PM

Good solid California car. No rust, but the quarters had been hit hard in a previous life. Spent forever scrapping undercoating...but very pleased with what was underneath

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 10:40 PM

Rented a commercial blaster, regulated the pressure way down, and burned through 300 lbs. of media... then turning and tapping to remove all media. In the booth and epoxy.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 10:50 PM

This is where things started to change directions. I looked into everyones K-frames, and all suffered from lack of camber in compression. This was years before XV was in existence. I build a jig of of a C5 Vette, removed the aprons and built a K-frame.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 10:52 PM

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 10:55 PM

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:02 PM

My goal was to keep this a unibody car. Stock looking 'Cuda with wheels.[IMG]http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/340cuda/IM000352.jpg[/IMG[IMG]http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/340cuda/IM000351.jpg[/IMG

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:06 PM

Now I can hang the suspension for a mockup. 14" rotors and 6 piston brakes up front. 13" 4 pistons out back

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:15 PM

Next came the back. I pocketed the frame rails to accept a link bar. Built a full floater 9" Speedway rear. It is a decoupled three link with watts link

Oops. Can't find the build picks. We'll jump to the finished bottom side. I have 1000 of hours of fab on this to make it look like the factory did it. Went so far as to wipe in every weld!!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:25 PM

Reached the limit on photobucket....will post more later if you guys want to see it.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:40 PM

You can see the headers I mocked up for the small block in the last photos. Now junk, because I decided on a twin turbo R3 engine...Okay time to make that fit.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:41 PM

[IMG]http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/340cuda/100_0769.jpg[/IMG

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:44 PM

and now to make it look like it was built that way from the factory...

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:46 PM

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/26/12 11:51 PM

and a little teaser on the body. If you look in the wheel well, that's where the exhaust runs back in. Lots of subtle mods. Will post more later.

Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 01:04 AM

Great Project!! Are you gonna use the 340 or something else.. Keep us updated.https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6313383&an=0&page=0#Post6313383
Posted By: JS29R0B

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 02:26 PM

WOW this is a KILLER build!
Keep the pics coming!
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 03:32 PM

Quote:

will post more later if you guys want to see it.

Duh,,,,yes . Keepem coming ,please
I am envious of you guys with this kind of shop capabilities and fabrication skills.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

Great Project!! Are you gonna use the 340 or something else.. Keep us updated.https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6313383&an=0&page=0#Post6313383

Thanks. Not using a 340, using a tall deck R3 360 block.

Checked out your project as well. Looks good!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 03:57 PM

Okay...heres some more.
With upwards of 1500 HP, a cage was in order. Didn't want anything obtrusive, so I sucked in into the roof and A-pillars. I'll widen the A-pillar and headliner trim so you really will have to look hard to see it.

I am using a decoupled three thing rear suspension. This requires an upper link used when braking. This changes the IC and loads the rear under braking. The lower torque arm moves the IC the other way, and loads the rear under acceleration

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 03:59 PM

I extended the cage through the floor pan to give me some lift/jack points

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 04:02 PM

I capped and treaded this for a spin on extension. If you notice the metal strip on the underside rocker, I actually lowered the rockers so they are now flat front to back. Really makes a very big but subtle difference.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 04:55 PM

You can see the pocketed frame rails in the back for the links. It keeps the stock profile of the frame from the side.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 05:01 PM

Back to the body. I tig welded an 1/8" rod on all the gaps, doors, trunk lid fenders, etc... I filed everything back to an 1/8" gap. Took a larger filler on the door bottom, but the look is worth it I think

Also widened the lower front fenders an 1" per side. Just makes it flow better to me.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 05:07 PM

The car will be fast and will require a parachute. I wanted to hide it. So this is what I did. The trunk holds the fuel cell flush with the floor but cannot be seen below the valance...speaking of, a ton of work to make the valance fit.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 05:12 PM

and the bumper...widened, filed, etc...

still working on fit..

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 05:20 PM

Did bodywork with seals and trim installed. The seals set the doors and trunk lid at the correct gap. The trim lets you flush up without getting too close that you scratch paint when installing

Did alot of head scratching to make the cage as invisible as possible and still legal. I matched the B pillar angle to make it flow with the car and through the package tray

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 05:25 PM

mock up pics to keep me motivated...

reversed mini tubbed to pull the tire all the way out. I hate a big gap. The watts link keeps it from pushing any further out. Flushed the door handles and markers as well. You are saying they are already flush from the factory. I mean truly flush. No transition when sighted down the body

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 05:29 PM

Have to show this one again. This is what makes it all worth it. At first glance just a 'Cuda with wheels. This shows the flat and lowered rockers, the widened lower front fenders, and the gaps that I busted my ass on. I'm in final final block now and hope to be painted in the next month
Posted By: 440jimr

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 07:53 PM

Daaaaang!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 09:31 PM

Quote:

Keep the pics coming!

Thanks, feels kinda wrong summing up 5 years in fifteen pictures. I'll dig out more so it feels like a project!! Anything in particular you'd like pics or specifics on?

Thanks, Craig

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/27/12 09:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

will post more later if you guys want to see it.

Duh,,,,yes . Keepem coming ,please
I am envious of you guys with this kind of shop capabilities and fabrication skills.

It's more out of necessity than anything else. I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it, and on the occasions I have, it usually gets screwed up and I redo it anyway! Besides I'm cheap. I'd rather take the money I would pay someone and buy the tool(s) and learn to do it myself. It doesn't hurt that I have been a Chrysler tech for 20 years, and love to build stuff.

I have a 1937 Plymouth truck I am doing for my wife now. 390 HP Hemi with ABS, stability, etc... in a totally stock looking package. Just starting that one, but have a few pics of that as well. I was told the 'Cuda is taking too long and she wants her truck!!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/30/12 02:55 PM

It is so AWESOME you can post anything you wanna share with us!

Quote:

Quote:

Keep the pics coming!

Thanks, feels kinda wrong summing up 5 years in fifteen pictures. I'll dig out more so it feels like a project!! Anything in particular you'd like pics or specifics on?

Thanks, Craig

Posted By: Gavin

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/30/12 08:47 PM

Wow, an amazing amount of work and attention to detail, well done, if the finished car is as entertaining as the buildup pics it will be incredible!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 01/30/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

Wow, an amazing amount of work and attention to detail, well done, if the finished car is as entertaining as the buildup pics it will be incredible!

Thanks. It's been a labor of love and hate!! Just finished prepping the bottom and engine compartment/aprons for the last time this weekend. Going to try and get it in the booth the weekend after next. That will be an intensive weekend. My painter/go behind me and make sure everything is blocked, straight, etc, Matt Hayes, has his work cutout for him. We're doing it in Dupont water. Going to have to paint the complete underside, aprons, and engine compartment in one shot. I think that is about as much surface area as a cargo van!!! He's flawless on the paint, so I will post pictures of the before/during/after sequence. Doing it in a tweaked EV2.

Craig
Posted By: jeff_past

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/01/12 05:52 PM

Wow!! You have an unbelievable attention to detail. So many subtle changes, and so many major changes, and they all flow together and look like they would have came that way from the factory. With the inner fender changes to accommodate the turbos, i'm assuming you mocked everything up to determine where you needed space, and holes made for wastegate tubes, etc. I'd love to see some pics if you have any of the mockup of that. Can't wait to see more progress!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/01/12 10:05 PM

Quote:

Wow!! You have an unbelievable attention to detail. So many subtle changes, and so many major changes, and they all flow together and look like they would have came that way from the factory. With the inner fender changes to accommodate the turbos, i'm assuming you mocked everything up to determine where you needed space, and holes made for wastegate tubes, etc. I'd love to see some pics if you have any of the mockup of that. Can't wait to see more progress!

Thanks, I was really trying to make it look like it was built that way. And yes, I have mocked up and built this car probably 3 times! All the pics of the underside build and engine mockup are on a crashed hard drive. I did all this before smart phones (at least before I had one) and online pic storage (before I ever considered it). I can't find the camera or sim card either (lost in a move I'm sure)! I'll be painted and reassembling in the next few months, so I guess we both have to wait to see what it looks like (I don't think I remember that well)! It'll be a surprise for me as well.

Thanks, Craig
Posted By: Classic Car Guy

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/06/12 06:47 AM

Wow what excellent work and a real nice project. Best of luck and look foward to many more pic's to get some idea's. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: 69rrgrabber

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/08/12 04:09 AM

Man, I just can't get over those panel gaps. This is welding turned to an art form!

I'm inspired....

Carl

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/08/12 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone. It the the little things that take a tremendous amount of time, but make the biggest difference. My pet peeves are panel gaps and trim fit/condition. I worked hard on both of these. 95% percent of the people never notice stuff like this, but it makes you feel good when the other 5% can appreciate it!!! Thanks!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/09/12 05:58 AM

Craig,

Nothing takes away more from a nice paint job then jacked up panel gaps. What is a good source to go to for learning how to align panels and fixing gaps? I butt welded my floor sections, 1/4 patch panels and various repair patches and just about have my 69 Charger ready to send off to the body man, but you got me thinking.

On my 70 Cuda, I can't stand the trunk lid to dutch-man panel gap isn't right, how did you fix that one?

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/09/12 06:21 AM

Did bodywork with seals and trim installed. The seals set the doors and trunk lid at the correct gap. The trim lets you flush up without getting too close that you scratch paint when installing

I'm trying to understand and internalize this. I can see that this is really going the extra mile to achieve a higher result, but I can't figure out this one. Which is sad because I am getting close to primer and paint. So install the seals and all trim like I'm done and then align panels and doors, then remove trim and seals and paint?

Clearly this attention to detail is the difference between a 5k paint job and a 15k paint job, or a lot more.

Do they teach this technique at the average Community College Auto Body Course??? Know of a good book that goes over this??

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/09/12 06:45 PM

Quote:

Craig,

Nothing takes away more from a nice paint job then jacked up panel gaps. What is a good source to go to for learning how to align panels and fixing gaps? I butt welded my floor sections, 1/4 patch panels and various repair patches and just about have my 69 Charger ready to send off to the body man, but you got me thinking.

On my 70 Cuda, I can't stand the trunk lid to dutch-man panel gap isn't right, how did you fix that one?

Panel alignment is easy in theory, but a pain in reality. Start at the rear quarter panel. It is not adjustable. Hard body lines cannot be moved either. Line up the door body lines the the quarter body lines. Don't concern yourself with gaps right now. You just want the body lines straight. Close up the door to quarter gap to your desired gap. Keep the body line straight. Don't worry if the gap is straight, just close it up until the closest point is your desired gap. Move to the fender and do the same, hood, header, etc... The trunk should be aligned at the back to the rear of the quarters. Again you are lining up hard body lines that cannot move. You will then have to add material to the trunk surround, door edges, etc... I usually just tig weld an 1/8" rod to the edges and use a body file to cut it back to the desired gap. Some places may require cutting a sheet metal strip. My door bottoms needed between an 1/8" and a 1/4" filler strip. I just cut a tapered filler from sheetmetal and tig'd it in place. Your body guy should be able to handle all of this. It is very labor intensive, i.e. expensive, but important all edges are metal, not made with filler!!! It will chip!!

My trunk also had a huge gap that your talking about. I added material to the trunk lid, but you have to be careful on that gap because the trunk will hit the body when opening.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/09/12 07:06 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to understand and internalize this. I can see that this is really going the extra mile to achieve a higher result, but I can't figure out this one. Which is sad because I am getting close to primer and paint. So install the seals and all trim like I'm done and then align panels and doors, then remove trim and seals and paint?

Clearly this attention to detail is the difference between a 5k paint job and a 15k paint job, or a lot more.

Do they teach this technique at the average Community College Auto Body Course??? Know of a good book that goes over this??

Fitting the trim is very important for a few reasons. The front and rear surrounds are critical. The stud position for the trim clips is fixed. You need to snap the trim on and see if it scratched the primer when snapped in place. That means it will scratch the paint too. When snapped in place, is it flush with the body or is their a gap? You need to cut off the trim studs and install a thread in one. This allows you to move the trim further away or closer to the body. It is important that the glass be in the correct position. I thread a blunt screw in each corner to "set" the glass in the proper position. I can manipulate the glass closer or further from the channel to also change how the trim fits. When I find something I'm comfortable with, I then need to do body work to work with the trim position. An example is the side molding on the rear glass of my car. The trim was straightened and installed. The seam where the roof meets the quarter is under this trim. The trim and glass position was correct but the trim to body gap fluctuated, so it needed a light wipe and block. That is trim removed, wiped, blocked, trim refit, removed, blocked, wiped if necessary and so on. It takes TIME!!!

When your done, leave the screw standoffs in the channel. When your ready to install the glass, the standoffs will position the glass correctly, and when the Butyl is dry, remove the screws from the inside.

Door and trunk seals are critical for setting panel alignment. Same with rubber bumpers. They all need to be installed (taped in place). I've seen people do awesome panel fitment and then put a trunk seal in and it jacks the lid all up, or the doors hang out, etc...

I would think most classes would teach production body shop techniques, this is NOT production type work.

Thanks, Craig
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/09/12 11:30 PM

Awesome project. My favorite is your engine bay and how you have it fit for the turbos.
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/10/12 04:03 AM

Killlllller WORK!

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/10/12 09:22 PM

Quote:

Killlllller WORK!

Quote:

Awesome project. My favorite is your engine bay and how you have it fit for the turbos.

Thanks, it always makes you feel good when someone can appreciate the amount of time and labor you have in something...maybe I can get you to talk to my wife.
Posted By: Jambbii

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/15/12 07:23 PM

I love it! I am glad I am not the only one cutting up a rust free ebody! I am heading in a very similar direction except I am running a little larger tire in the back.

Was the K frame hard to engineer? I still can't justify paying 4gs to buy one right now.

Josh

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/15/12 09:03 PM

Quote:

I love it! I am glad I am not the only one cutting up a rust free ebody! I am heading in a very similar direction except I am running a little larger tire in the back.

Was the K frame hard to engineer? I still can't justify paying 4gs to buy one right now.

Josh

Thanks. The world doesn't really need another restored E-Body, so I'm with you. I always hear, "It's one of 60 or something" and I think yeah, and.....pretty much everything was at least a one of 60 or so, nothing special. Besides, if it's not enjoyable to drive, why own it?

K-frame is pretty easy. Just build a jig from the donor car. The automakers spent millions on design and engineering, so it's pretty safe to assume if you copy what they did, it will work very well!!

Check out my '37 Plymouth truck thread. It has a quickie how to on building a jig.

Thanks, Craig

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/19/12 02:26 AM

Just finished in the booth. A few quick crappy pictures. Will post more in a few days...

water base coat.

and clear.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/19/12 04:21 AM

few more...

Matt Hayes doing his thing!

Posted By: Challenger_Nut

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/19/12 04:08 PM

All I can say is that's a work of art!! I just want a ride in it. It should be as tight as a new car with the gusseting that you have done. Please keep posting...

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/20/12 01:28 AM

Quote:

All I can say is that's a work of art!! I just want a ride in it. It should be as tight as a new car with the gusseting that you have done. Please keep posting...

Thank you. This is starting to get to the good part!! I will post more as I get them. A want to do a little touch up on the bottom and spray the undercoat in the rear wheel wells before taking it off the rotisserie. We'll paint the outside on the body dolly. Hopefully in a month.

Thanks again
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/20/12 02:06 AM

Wow, your car is incredible. I really enjoy seeing that level of fabrication work.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/20/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

Wow, your car is incredible. I really enjoy seeing that level of fabrication work.

Thanks. It's not as flashy as some of the recent pro-touring cars, but a lot of those mods tend to date a car to a specific period (like billet wheels and tribal graphics). I wanted subtle mods that would preserve the original 'Cuda, which is timeless!!

Thanks again.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/20/12 05:21 PM

And a lot of the current Pro Touring cars get rid of the inner fender shock towers which I think really define a Mopar front end. It's cool that you kept them even though it wasn't necessary.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/20/12 07:39 PM

Quote:

And a lot of the current Pro Touring cars get rid of the inner fender shock towers which I think really define a Mopar front end. It's cool that you kept them even though it wasn't necessary.

I knew I was going to keep them, so I incorporated them into a structural part. The lower was boxed for the control arm. I tied it into the down bars and actually use it for the upper coil over mount. I closed up the old shock hole, but have since built a strut tower brace that mounts where the old shock was.

It's a little heavier than cutting them out, but I went more for authenticity/purity. It still looks like a Mopar and a 'Cuda.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/20/12 07:43 PM

No one has noticed the tunnel? I centered the engine/trans from the original passenger bias that was their to clear the steering box. The engine is set back 1" and lowered 2". Guess I need to wait until I put the engine in and post the pics.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/26/12 01:07 PM

Let the car sit for a few days and viewed it in different light. Spray out cards are only so useful. I really didn't care for the side tone of the color. Matt mixed up a "cleaned up version" of the color. Knocked the car back down with 800 and resprayed!! Here is the new color. My wife says it looks the same, but it is different. Tell me you can see it!!

Posted By: curleysracecars

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/28/12 03:54 PM

Absolutely awesome build. Excellent work, and its all done the right way. Ive been around fab work, done a lot of fab work, etc. and can appreciate the time invested in this project. Keep it up, and keep the pictures coming.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 02/28/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

Absolutely awesome build. Excellent work, and its all done the right way. Ive been around fab work, done a lot of fab work, etc. and can appreciate the time invested in this project. Keep it up, and keep the pictures coming.

Thank you! Hope to have more pics soon. Right now, time for the car is weekends only, so progress is slow.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/01/12 11:05 PM

Was just looking at the last pics I posted. My painter tells me it's right if you look at it and want to lick it!!! I think it does look like candy, and yes, I have licked it!!

Working on the outside prep. It's all in the details. Will paint the trunk this weekend, and then it goes on the body dolly for outside paint.

The K-frame I built will be back from powder coating next week. Stay tuned!

Thanks

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/02/12 02:43 PM

AWESOME
Posted By: CUDAJAS

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/09/12 03:18 AM

Quote:

and the bumper...widened, filed, etc...

still working on fit..

Quote:

Wow...you are nuts...I LOVE IT. What a great build.

Do you have any progress pics of the bumper? I am in the midst of something similar with the bumper on my 74.

Look forward to seeing your process.

Jason
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/09/12 06:27 AM

Excellent, excellent work, WOW!
Did you look into the Alterkation unit for a choice possibility? I need to do a custom front suspension on my project.

Robert

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/10/12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Do you have any progress pics of the bumper? I am in the midst of something similar with the bumper on my 74.

Jason

Thanks Jason. Yes and no on progress. I finished that bumper and sent it to StarBright Finishes in Oregon. They ruined the bumper and kept my money. I have since built a new one and it is at a reputable chrome shop. I was so mad about that, pictures were the last thing I was thinking about when building a new one. It cost me two bumpers, a set of bumperetts, 25 hours of work, and the money to have them chrome it. Oh yeah, and another set of bumpers, bumperettes, hours, and money to chrome again.

My advice is stick with the two or three reputable platers and forget about trying to save money. In the long run it will cost you more. A lot more.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/10/12 02:42 PM

Quote:

Excellent, excellent work, WOW!
Did you look into the Alterkation unit for a choice possibility? I need to do a custom front suspension on my project.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I looked at everyones K-frame. The problem with the factory setup is it gains positive camber on compression. All the aftermarket K-frames can minimize the condition and stay neutral, but won't gain negative. The only solution is the XV or build your own. The XV is using C5 Corvette lowers with a short upper. That shortened upper really gains negative when compressed. Almost too much. It was a compromise XV had to make to package in the E and B bodies. I chose to stick with how the factory engineers designed it and move the lower aprons in, allowing me to use stock uppers and lowers.
Posted By: CUDAJAS

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/10/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jason

Thanks Jason. Yes and no on progress. I finished that bumper and sent it to StarBright Finishes in Oregon. They ruined the bumper and kept my money. I have since built a new one and it is at a reputable chrome shop. I was so mad about that, pictures were the last thing I was thinking about when building a new one. It cost me two bumpers, a set of bumperetts, 25 hours of work, and the money to have them chrome it. Oh yeah, and another set of bumpers, bumperettes, hours, and money to chrome again.

My advice is stick with the two or three reputable platers and forget about trying to save money. In the long run it will cost you more. A lot more.

Thanks for the tips. Sucks that you had so much trouble.

I am going to paint my bumpers, to expensive to rechrome them right now!!

Good luck with the build.

Jason

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/20/12 02:59 PM

Some progress...a little is better than none!!

No, the Viper's not mine, customer car.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/20/12 04:52 PM

I can't wait to see the motor...

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/21/12 03:04 PM

Quote:

I can't wait to see the motor...

Me too! Motors done, but switching it to Holley's Dominator EFI. It's only ever ran on a dyno and I'm already upgrading! Sent the intake out for a 16 injector conversion. Should be one of only a handful of R3 engines running DIS and sequential fuel injection.

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/27/12 10:08 PM

Got the K-frame I built back from powder coating. The lower control arms still need to be done. I painted them after I built them not really sure what I was going to do. That was 4 years ago! Just checking everything to see if it still fits. This stuff hasn't seen each other in awhile...

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 03/27/12 10:24 PM

See, it really does fit an E-body! If you scroll up a few pics, you can see where this fits under the lower frame lip.

Don't forget to add lift points! - 04/18/12 09:00 PM

Not really an update, but something everyone should do. I've been a tech for 20+ years, which means lifting vehicles everyday, all day. (Vipers suck the worst!) Make sure you add lift points to your ride. You will have to lift it at some point, and I've seen to many "custom" cars get fuel lines crushed, wiring pinched, paint scratched, skirts bent, etc...

This was my solution. I ran the cage through to the bottom of the pinch weld. I welded a nut and washer into the bottom of the tubing. I then made screw in "stand offs" that can be installed to lift the vehicle. This is something that never seems to be important until it comes time to lift the car and you have to monkey with wood, etc.

Posted By: Jambbii

Re: Don't forget to add lift points! - 04/23/12 02:33 AM

Craig,

Great idea! I am planning to invest a lot of time detailing the bottom of my car. I guess jacking it up is something you never really think of when building a vehicle.

Josh

Re: Don't forget to add lift points! - 04/30/12 06:13 PM

Any updates?

Re: Don't forget to add lift points! - 04/30/12 06:40 PM

Quote:

Any updates?

Cars back on the body dolly. Doing the tedious stuff that's not worth posting, i.e prepping under the hood, fitting the spoiler (that I will post, a few tricks going on), etc...Hoping to paint this thing in May.

Doing a few engine tweaks as well. Trying to get it ready and set up for EFI to go back on the dyno. Sold the 67MM turbos and waiting on the 72MM's!!
Posted By: Bones

Re: Don't forget to add lift points! - 05/03/12 02:29 AM

Firs off I want to say that I really love this build. I get so tired of the numbers matching 100 point restorations or straight race cars, it's really nice to see someone with tons of creativity and the skills to match. It would be really killer if you could do a how-to thread with pictures on how to make the jig for the front suspension. I weld and have made jigs for small things but never anything like your Corvette front suspension jig. I know you are really busy with the build and all but if you have some time some day I would really appreciate it and I know a lot of other guys would too.

Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/03/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

Firs off I want to say that I really love this build. I get so tired of the numbers matching 100 point restorations or straight race cars, it's really nice to see someone with tons of creativity and the skills to match. It would be really killer if you could do a how-to thread with pictures on how to make the jig for the front suspension. I weld and have made jigs for small things but never anything like your Corvette front suspension jig. I know you are really busy with the build and all but if you have some time some day I would really appreciate it and I know a lot of other guys would too.

Thanks for the compliments.

Jigs are easy. Here is one I did for my '37 Plymouth truck.

Set the car at the desired ride height. I knew the overall diameter of the tires I was going to use so I just used wood bucks. This sets the suspension at the proper angles for a given ride height.

Block the body so it will not move. Measure the track width. I get a front and rear measurement from outside brake rotor to outside brake rotor. Remove the suspension components. Build jigs to locate all suspension points. Upper and lower control arms, sway bars, and steering rack. I use washers with a piece of tube inside. Bolt the jig pieces back to the chassis.

It's not necessary to make the wheel turn like I did. I have a fat fender truck, tire width will be critical to turn. If you want to do this, you will need the spindle inclination.

This jig on the front bolts into all the suspension attachments. To get it off the vehicle, it needs to come apart. You can bolt it together like a clamshell, or use DOM tubing that will slide together. I may have to narrow my track width for the truck, so this one slides together. On the 'Cuda, I wanted to keep the geometry exact, so that one used a clamshell bolt together jig. If you use a slide jig, make sure the rack mount locations are on the "fixed" part of the jig. I have the end jigs marked in increments. If I narrow the track width, I move each end in the same amount and will then use a narrower rack. Again, this is a small old truck. This what not necessary on the Cuda.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/03/12 02:28 PM

You can see the jigs have "feet". They sit flat on the floor and locate everything at the proper angles and ride height. The next step is pretty easy. Set the car or truck at your desired ride height. I make wheel flanges on the jigs so I can even bolt on the wheels and tires. You can play with stance by moving the body up, down, or raked. When your happy with the stance, lock down the body. Make sure the jigs are square and start building your suspension mounts from the body to the jig. If it's a frame vehicle, it's pretty straight forward. K-frame cars take a little more work. Bolt rails, tubing, or whatever to the body in the previous K-frame mounts and start building mounts. You'll need to check oil pan to rack clearance. Either one will require custom steering linkage which is readily available.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/04/12 05:00 AM

Wow, thanks a lot for the explanation. I read through it a few times and spent some time really studying the pictures and it's starting to make sense. For the upper part of the Corvette suspension, you really only have to locate where those two bolts go so it looks like a plate is all that's needed. The vertical steel tubing that connects to the upper plate and then curves down would be the wheel center line, yes? The lower control arm location looks to take a bit more work but seems pretty straight forward. I didn't know what some of those other points on your jig were before but now see that they are the bolt locations for the rack and other parts.

I guess it's really important for the Corvette suspension to be in a neutral position before you start (neither suspended or compressed. How do you find out what the suspension angles should be at rest? Are they listed in a manual somewhere or do you crawl under a good Corvette and measure them?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/04/12 04:10 PM

Yep your right. Just bolt a plate to locate the upper control arm holes and the down bar is the wheel centerline.

You need to measure control arm angle on a stock vehicle or at the very least keep the lower control arm level or slightly up. Your other issues will be fabbing brackets for coil overs (I doubt you'll use the transverse spring) and probably lowering the rack for oil pan clearance without affecting geometry. You can make them or buy them. http://www.streetrodgarage.com/c4vettesuspension.aspx

Thanks, Craig

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/17/12 01:34 PM

Any progress?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/17/12 08:59 PM

Quote:

Any progress?

Nothing to mention. Shops been real busy. Working on everything but mine, but somethings got to pay for it!

Trust me, I'm as anxious as anyone to get this thing back together!! Going to actually take a Saturday this week and work on it.

You know when I was young, It seemed I had all the time in the world to work on my stuff, just no money. Now that I'm older and can afford it, I don't have the time. That just sucks.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/18/12 01:37 PM

I have the exact same problem.Seems like something comes up every day to keep me out of the shop.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 06/19/12 05:10 PM

Got the intake back from Marcella today. Now I can get this engine back together!

Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 07/02/12 04:40 PM

any more info..

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 07/05/12 03:08 PM

Quote:

any more info..

Shop has been super busy. Paying customers come first (mine just cost money!). Making progress, just slow. I'm hoping to have this thing painted in the next month. At some point I'm going to "close" for a vacation and put in some serious hours.

I appreciate the interest and please keep prodding me for progress. Sometimes the last thing I feel like is working on Sunday, but that's what it's going to take to get it done!
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/02/12 08:09 PM

Sweet build. I can relate. Building a twin turbo 70' Challenger myself. Here is mine.

Attached picture 7318679-100_1664[640x480].jpg

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/02/12 08:10 PM

The HEMI & twins.

Attached picture 7318680-100_1455[640x480].jpg

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/03/12 02:00 PM

It is about time for an update on this AWESOME build.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/05/12 02:47 AM

Quote:

I know, I know. Car is ready and heading to the booth in about two weeks. I got stalled with customer cars. Building a '70 Roadrunner using EVERYTHING from a '07 SRT8. Just started fab and hope to finish it off in 4 weeks. I don't have to do any body or paint (whewwhoo!!), just mechanical, fab, and electric. I'll start a separate thread for it next week.

I'm working the 'Cuda to paint at the same time. When the RoadRunner is finished I'm planning to knock out my '37 Plymouth truck with a late Hemi and modern suspension, and by that time the paint should be fully cured/wetsanded/buffed. Then the reassembly starts. Not doing any paint and body on my '37 Plymouth at this time, just want to get it driving!

Trust me, when the time comes to put it together, you'll be sick of me posting updates!

Speaking of posting, lets see more of that TT Challenger.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/10/12 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I know, I know. Car is ready and heading to the booth in about two weeks. I got stalled with customer cars. Building a '70 Roadrunner using EVERYTHING from a '07 SRT8. Just started fab and hope to finish it off in 4 weeks. I don't have to do any body or paint (whewwhoo!!), just mechanical, fab, and electric. I'll start a separate thread for it next week.

I'm working the 'Cuda to paint at the same time. When the RoadRunner is finished I'm planning to knock out my '37 Plymouth truck with a late Hemi and modern suspension, and by that time the paint should be fully cured/wetsanded/buffed. Then the reassembly starts. Not doing any paint and body on my '37 Plymouth at this time, just want to get it driving!

Trust me, when the time comes to put it together, you'll be sick of me posting updates!

Speaking of posting, lets see more of that TT Challenger.

I have a post of the progress in the race section titled "coming to strip near you, 25.5 (70) Challenger". I didn't think about putting it here since it is more of a race car than a street car.
Posted By: rgreule

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/10/12 04:01 AM

Awesome build.. keep up the amazing work..

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/10/12 01:32 PM

Update please

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/10/12 10:32 PM

Quote:

Update please

Still over at the paint shop. Matt has started, but not yet done. Gonna let it sit over their and cure good, and then cut and buff it before I go get it. It's safer over their until I get done welding and grinding here!

Don't believe that Overhaulin' crap about color sanding and buffing the next day. Really needs 30 days to cure.
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/14/12 08:18 PM

wow-the effort in the bodywork is outstanding-i`m doing simular for a friends 67 fastback stang and just can`t beleive how good your welding is on all the gaps-really good!! i`ll keep an eye on this page-keep up the great work.
all the best
frank.
Posted By: '84 D150 Shorty

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/21/12 04:39 PM

This is by far one of the most gorgeous detail oriented builds I've ever seen...absolutely phenomenal

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/22/12 09:34 PM

Quote:

wow-the effort in the bodywork is outstanding-i`m doing simular for a friends 67 fastback stang and just can`t beleive how good your welding is on all the gaps-really good!! i`ll keep an eye on this page-keep up the great work.
all the best
frank.

Thanks Frank,

Been more than once that I didn't think it was worth it!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/07/12 09:02 PM

Paint tease....

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/08/12 02:01 PM

Awesome I am glad to see a new picture on this post.
Awesome car and Awesome work.
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/23/12 05:14 AM

Im at a loss for words after looking at this. Simply amazing.
Posted By: mopar383

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/24/12 05:55 AM

Awesome
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/01/12 11:45 AM

Nice job !

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/03/12 09:13 PM

Thanks Guys! All this and moving for the last two weeks (house and shop!). I'll have more when I get the 'Cuda to the new shop. Right now just trying to survive day to day life, personal cars and customer project cars are on hold. Late model mechanical repair only until I get moved.

I'll have a flood of pics soon!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/04/12 04:49 PM

Awesome I can't wait....Hang in there it will get better!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/31/12 02:36 PM

Loaded it back on the rotisserie this weekend. Headed to the back shop. Will black out the wheel tubs and do a little nibbing on the bottom. This also makes cutting and buffing the outside a lot easier, as you can turn every panel to you.
The photos really don't show the color very well.

Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/31/12 05:36 PM

Looks good!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 01/02/13 07:00 AM

Looks awesome!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 01/02/13 02:16 PM

Awesome....

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/08/13 09:55 PM

Thanks guys.

Got my housing back from powder coat (along with a huge tub of other parts!!). Waiting on the gear to get back from Cryo-REM, and then I'll finish putting this monstrosity together....

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/22/13 09:56 PM

Finally got the rear setup and together.

I had started this project with a different engine combo, so I installed a 3.91 gear long ago. The new engine combo needs a 3.07.

This is an XP 9310 from Richmond. They made these for the Cup teams on the super speedways. They are a 9310, but heat treated to be softer for durability. Perfect for a track day/daily driver/Bonneville car!

I want to keep the gear lube in the center section and out of the axle tubes. These are
seals that press into the housing.

The center section is in for good.

and the external oil pump.

I bolted the hubs down without the oil seal and no grease in the bearings. I'm looking for .001 end play as measured on the centerline.

Got a customer thats an A&P mechanic. Comes in handy when you need bolts.

I know it's not a Mopar rear, but the E-brakes are off a Viper!
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/23/13 02:29 AM

I'm speechless at how tech all this stuff is.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/31/13 03:41 AM

Probably the best build I have seen on Moparts. Hi-tech is right.
Posted By: Old School

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/01/13 02:06 AM

BAD ASS!!!!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/02/13 08:19 PM

Thanks guys!! The really cool stuff (at least to me) is all next! ASSEMBLY!!! You guys will never look at an LA small block the same...

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/28/13 01:08 PM

Haven't worked on the 'Cuda in awhile. Drug it out for a little more cutting and buffing this weekend.
[URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/340cuda/media/file_zps7e247c3e.jpg.html]
[/URL]

One more round with 2500 and I'm calling it good. It's not perfect, but sometimes you just gotta say that as good as its going to get if I want to be driving this year.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/28/13 03:53 PM

Oh Yeah!!!!! Thats looking great to me!!! Nice work!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/29/13 10:28 PM

Quote:

Oh Yeah!!!!! Thats looking great to me!!! Nice work!!

Thanks,

I keep tabs on yours too. Like where your headed with it!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 07/31/13 01:38 PM

Any updates?
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 07/31/13 06:42 PM

Quote:

Any updates?

I saw it at the top and opened it, anxious to see an update.... oh well.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 09/07/13 12:44 AM

Sorry, been a.while. Working on the belly pans. Next pics should be a roller!
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 09/08/13 07:36 AM

Post some pictures of your work on them please. Awesome.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/25/13 02:01 PM

Going to see if I can get this thing rolling this week. I have no idea where the time has gone. I plan to work on this and think I'll get something done in the next few weeks, and months roll by. So going to take a few days off and actually put a little time in on it. I'll post some progress pics. First is getting it off the rotisserie for the last time!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/25/13 05:41 PM

Looking forward to more progress. I would love to see some pics of your roll cage,the bars near the windshield have my intrest. I'm trying to decide if I want to add them to my build or not. This is one of my favorite build threads. Keep us posted

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/29/13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Looking forward to more progress. I would love to see some pics of your roll cage,the bars near the windshield have my intrest. I'm trying to decide if I want to add them to my build or not. This is one of my favorite build threads. Keep us posted

Thanks John. I'll post some pics for you.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/29/13 08:05 PM

Front K frame in.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/29/13 08:08 PM

Rear trailing arms, sway bar, upper brake link.

Working all weekend to get it rolling. More pics coming.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/30/13 12:00 AM

Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/30/13 04:06 AM

What is that you are using in the wheel wells?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/30/13 10:28 PM

Quote:

3M rocker paint.

Putting the front together.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 11/30/13 10:48 PM

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/01/13 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

3M rocker paint.

This is paint? Looks like formed plastic or some kind of upholstery?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/01/13 06:16 PM

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/01/13 06:25 PM

It rolls! Working on the torque arm. The one shown was a prototype that is no where near beefy enough.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/02/13 06:40 PM

This car is KILLER.....

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/02/13 08:49 PM

Quote:

This car is KILLER.....

Thanks. Going to finish redoing the torque arm and belly pans before putting the engine in, so the next pics won't be all that exciting, but still progress.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/03/13 01:14 AM

The way I really want to praise you for your work, is in the form of words that can't be typed on this website.. Attention to detail and perfectionism {which I don't believe in}, is waaaayyy beyond anything I've seen. I can't say enough. AWESOME..

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/03/13 04:01 PM

Quote:

The way I really want to praise you for your work, is in the form of words that can't be typed on this website.. Attention to detail and perfectionism {which I don't believe in}, is waaaayyy beyond anything I've seen. I can't say enough. AWESOME..

Thanks, but everything looks better in pictures!
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/03/13 10:36 PM

Amazing build up of this cuda,crazy.. Hi tech build at its best!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/03/13 11:35 PM

Quote:

Amazing build up of this cuda,crazy.. Hi tech build at its best!

Thank you. I don't know how high-tech it is considering I kept it a unibody, but it was important to me that it remained a Mopar, not a shell on a frame/chassis. I'll call it new(er)-tech meets old(er)-tech!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/03/13 11:52 PM

Got a pic in the sun today. Mid 70's, gotta love Florida! It sits outside taunting me during the day. I'll get back on it this weekend.

Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/04/13 05:18 AM

Absolutely retarded. McNasty. Bonkers.

Amazing work.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/05/13 03:47 PM

Quote:

Absolutely retarded. McNasty. Bonkers.

Amazing work.

Thanks! Wait till you see the engine!
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/05/13 08:50 PM

Gorgeous inspiring work.
I'm in a place where I need inspiring in my life, your threads on these builds are truly a wake up call to life for me.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/06/13 04:11 PM

Quote:

Gorgeous inspiring work.
I'm in a place where I need inspiring in my life, your threads on these builds are truly a wake up call to life for me.

Thanks. I'm not sure how inspiring as they are taking forever!
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/06/13 04:44 PM

First time I have looked at your build....
Nicest I have ever seen!!
Posted By: V��peli

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/06/13 04:51 PM

This build is just pure carporn

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/06/13 07:40 PM

Quote:

First time I have looked at your build....
Nicest I have ever seen!!

Thanks! Maybe it was all worth it after all...

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/06/13 07:41 PM

Quote:

This build is just pure carporn

Thank you. I like car porn. Cuda Diggler.....
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/06/13 09:46 PM

Truly an amazing and awesome project! I keep trying to detect where the original cuda sheet metal is and where you have transformed it, it appears seemless. Really nice, clean and fine craftsmanship to say the least. Good Luck!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/07/13 01:11 AM

Quote:

Truly an amazing and awesome project! I keep trying to detect where the original cuda sheet metal is and where you have transformed it, it appears seemless. Really nice, clean and fine craftsmanship to say the least. Good Luck!

Thanks. That was what I wanted. I'll never do it again! Stupid amount of work for something no one will ever see or care, but I had to do it once to see what it would look like, and comments like yours make it all worth it. Thanks again.
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/13/13 01:04 AM

I'm not a pro touring fan, but your car looks just right and is well executed. It's one of only a couple pro tour builds I've followed. Keep up the good work.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/13/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

I'm not a pro touring fan, but your car looks just right and is well executed. It's one of only a couple pro tour builds I've followed. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Their is a lot about "pro touring" cars I'm not a fan of either. Trying to blend handling, stability, comfort, and speed while still keeping the soul of the 'Cuda has been challenging. Still not 100% what the final product will be in these respects, but getting closer to finding out!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 01/05/14 01:10 AM

Been working on the Road Runner, but did put the doors on the 'Cuda today. Still tweaking adjustments, but pretty pleased with the effort on bodywork to get the gaps and panels fitting nice.

Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 01/05/14 02:27 AM

As said before easier on the Internet than real life congrats!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 01/06/14 12:55 AM

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 01/06/14 06:56 PM

Thanks guys. Now the small detail stuff that takes forever!!

Case in point. Door strikers. Spent 3 hours sanding and polishing just this one!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 01/07/14 01:09 AM

Worth every minute..

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/06/14 07:03 PM

Haven't had much time to mess with either car, but did start on the spoiler and bumper.

The spoiler will be a functional piece with an inner structure that will allow attachment of different wicker bills.

I started with an AAR spoiler for a plug. Had to cut it into 6 pieces to get it to fit the trunk. This is in progress and doesn't show the body work to finish the spoiler.

Jeff Munssey at Munssey Speed and Design will use my spoiler for a plug and then layup the piece with the aluminum inner structure and finish in carbon fiber. This can be made in fiberglass as well if anyone is interested. I'm going to have him use my bumper as a plug too. It's the only bumper that will actually fit the contours of a 'Cuda. Metal would be too expensive, so the bumpers will be available in carbon fiber or fiberglass if anyone wants one of those.

I made these for my car, not to sell, but the molds will be made and pieces available if interested.
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/18/14 01:01 AM

bad -ss build keep at it
Posted By: sparcy

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/19/14 03:49 AM

what are the rear lower control arms ? are those g body ? I am building my own 3 link rear , for my 69 charger ben gathering parts ! I was going to order some from pst !! to get me started but then I always build my own !! I love all your work MOTIVATES ME to work on my own PROJECTS IM building cannon ball pic drawn by ben hermance for pop hot rod 74 charger I turned into a 68 !! car was close to paint and i cut the rear 1/4s up , wide body steel wheel flares !!! the 3 link going in my 69 charger , too much goN on at once !!! you give me crazy awesome hope love your work !!!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/22/14 10:19 PM

Thanks, actually putting in time today on it…took the day off!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/22/14 10:22 PM

Thanks. They are GM A body. When I designed the rear in SA, that length worked good. I always try and find a working part than trying to fab or reinvent the wheel. I've got enough crap to fab because I have a Mopar and not a GM or Ford!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/23/14 05:13 AM

I do really like how close you have the bumper fitting to the body. With a 'glass option, what would be used for mounting brackets?
Posted By: Chally426

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/24/14 02:55 AM

I defiantly what a bumper and probably the spoiler, any ideal as far as cost, or contact info..
Thanks...

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 03/25/14 03:10 PM

Quote:

I defiantly what a bumper and probably the spoiler, any ideal as far as cost, or contact info..
Thanks...

Jeff will handle that parts once the molds are made. Here is a link to his site: http://www.munsseyspeedanddesign.com

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/01/14 04:05 AM

What is SA?

Quote:

Thanks. They are GM A body. When I designed the rear in SA, that length worked good. I always try and find a working part than trying to fab or reinvent the wheel. I've got enough crap to fab because I have a Mopar and not a GM or Ford!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/02/14 03:11 PM

Quote:

What is SA?

Quote:

Suspension Analyzer.

Great program to see how the suspension will work and what effect changing points, lengths, etc will have on the geometry, roll center, etc.

http://performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/19/14 10:11 PM

Time to throw some fenders on this thing and see what it looks like.

Still need to adjust some and then I can finish the final wet sand block and buff.
Posted By: Bzzzz

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/20/14 01:30 AM

wow just wow!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/20/14 03:32 AM

Absolutely unreal. Your skills are magnificent! Your decisions on the build are impeccable.

Have you thought of a name for this yet? Will it see track? Street? Shows? Magazines? TV?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/21/14 02:24 PM

Quote:

wow just wow!

Thanks.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/21/14 02:28 PM

Quote:

Absolutely unreal. Your skills are magnificent! Your decisions on the build are impeccable.

Have you thought of a name for this yet? Will it see track? Street? Shows? Magazines? TV?

Thanks.

Never named a car. If it wants one, I'm sure it will decide on it's own and just start wanting to be called something!

The car will definitely be tracked. It will run the Monster Mile in Texas first and then Bonneville. After that, just track day stuff and driving. I built this car to be driven often and driven hard! An Optima invite would be very sweet!
Posted By: Turbo224

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/24/14 09:40 PM

I've never liked red for a muscle car, but dang. That just looks amazing!
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/25/14 10:02 PM

I don't think I have ever seen better quality work. Absolutely amazing.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 04/26/14 07:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I'm in a slump on it now, but progress should pick up soon!

In the sun. It is Orange!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/29/14 11:23 PM

Okay, this is where I lose all the Mopar purist and piss everyone else off...

Wanted to get some feedback on how this looks. If you hate it, feel free to say so!

Mocking up the rocker extensions and diffuser spill plates. These are just cardboard to give a rough idea.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/29/14 11:27 PM

Quote:

Thank you, You may change your opinion when you see the aero mods!!
Posted By: edison1970

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/30/14 11:21 PM

I think the rocker extensions look good. Not sure about the diffuser behind the rear wheels. Have you ever seen the LMC Super Cuda? The diffuser was in the middle of the rear valance.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/31/14 12:12 AM

What size wheels and tires are you running....looks awesome..

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/31/14 12:27 AM

Quote:

I think the rocker extensions look good. Not sure about the diffuser behind the rear wheels. Have you ever seen the LMC Super Cuda? The diffuser was in the middle of the rear valance.

My wife hates them too. I'll probably make them bolt on and off.

The placement is important. It keeps the air from spilling up from under the quarters. This disrupts and turbulates the air from the side of the car. The curve of the body really hurts the airs ability to "cling" to the boundary layer. It wants to "fall" off below the belt line. The side splitters "pick" this air back up. The air between the diffuser plates needs to make a clean exit from the back and merge with the air off the rear spoiler.

The Super 'Cuda was stupid unstable at just 200 mph. That car had a less than ideally designed belly pan (just a partial pan) due to so much "hanging down" and air was allowed to go pretty much as it pleased. They basically did no aero work to the car. The diffuser was cosmetic only. The front lift on that car is ridiculous. Watch the vids. The nose is 2" higher even at 120 mph.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/31/14 12:29 AM

Quote:

What size wheels and tires are you running....looks awesome..

18". 9's in the front and 11's in back.
Posted By: Black 69 Beeper

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/31/14 01:14 AM

great car and awesome work. i am a body shop/restoration/welding instructor in new jersey. i would love to relocate to Florida. do you know of any names of state trade/ vocational schools i may be able to send a resume to? sick of the winter up here.

Attached picture 8160388-rrbodydoorjampainted.JPG
Posted By: jcc

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/31/14 05:27 AM

1st, this is my favorite mopar body style. However improving high speed aero and keeping the proper lines is got to be very tough. Your mock up maybe beneficial but as I suspect you already know, doesn't IMo enhance the visuals, which is probably not your #1 priority, but the car does look so nice. I don't disagree with your thinking, however, unless you plan on wind tunnel testing, it is all just an educated guess, that being said, I might give more difference to cosmetics, since it may not detract from your intents. I was on my ebody tossing around the idea of an at speed deploy able/foldable and/or air extended side skirts. Keeping it simple and reliable and non breakaway is my big hurdle, but would give streetable ground clearance, have little downside to appearance, but hopefully be effective when needed.

Short of recontouring your already gorgeous nearly finished cars sides into slabs, or adding FG covers, you have a tough hurdle here.

This you may not want to hear, but if this much concern is invested in aero on your car, I would ditch the OEM style spoiler and jump right to a swan mounted real multi element rear wing.

And the NC low speed wind tunnel runs about $450/hr.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/31/14 01:16 PM

JC,

Luckily I have a good racecar aero guy that is helping me concept and design. I will fine tune at A2, i.e. Diffuser plate sizes and shapes, wicker bills, etc. I consider it cheap insurance as apposed to flipping the car at Bonneville.

The stock rear spoiler has already been tested on this body style by someone else and the numbers are good for what I'm after. A long, flat deck spoiler would create equal down force with less drag, but not the look I'm after. I'll sacrifice drag for cosmetics, but not cosmetics for stability.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/31/14 01:25 PM

And on the same subject of cosmetics, I set the ride hieght higher than the current PT cars so the belly pan would be flat and sit right against the sub frame connectors and the bottom of the K frame. I set this to be a flat plane when i was building the car. So while it looks like the rockers are too low, if I were to scrape the rockers, I would have scraped the bottom of the car anyway without them.

I lowered the front K's lower control arm mounts and made the Watt's adjusted to pull the roll center down without having to slam the car to the ground.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 06/02/14 07:05 PM

I don't like them but if you make the bolt on and leave them a black color it would look okay.I know this car will be fast so it prolly needs them.Awesome build and I am glad to see more pics.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 06/03/14 11:58 PM

Quote:

I don't like them but if you make the bolt on and leave them a black color it would look okay.I know this car will be fast so it prolly needs them.Awesome build and I am glad to see more pics.

I'm not overly thrilled, especially about drilling the roof for rails and windshield tabs. For this cars intended purpose, this is all necessary. The trick is to try and make it as subtle as possible. At least she is still all Mopar.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/18/14 01:59 PM

Bump to the top...
Any progress?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/19/14 06:35 PM

I mean this hidden jab in the most friendly and complimentary way, IMO the OP is a sharp, and talented perfectionist and craftsman, and will likely always be tweaking and pushing the envelope with his project, while many of us just watch in wonder.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/19/14 07:26 PM

Quote:

Bump to the top...
Any progress?

Just buttoning up the Hemi "shop truck" for a customer. On the RR as we speak, getting it ready to go to media blast. Once this two are gone, I won't be taking in any more projects. I'll get back on and finish the 'Cuda.

I know I've said it before, but unfortunately this one doesn't pay, only cost money!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/19/14 07:35 PM

Quote:

...and will likely always be tweaking and pushing the envelope with his project...

That's probably true, but the 'Cuda is getting a big tweak now. I started this car so long ago that technology blew by me. Just catching it up on the suspension/tire/brake technology. I could get it done in a few months, but the road course performance would be sub-par to what's out their. I don't have to beat anybody, just want to be competitive.

Might be getting a peak soon at a subtle wide body, carbon brakes, PPG sequential Magnum T56, etc...

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 08/22/14 04:39 AM

on the diffusers, the rear of the rocker panel, would you want to have the tail end angle outwards to the tire sidewall, instead of ending the way you have it mocked.. Also, the rear of the 1/4 drop, would you want to taper that towards the center of the car? I'm not totally sure of the top speed concept, just throwing that out there. Would doing this make the car more apt to be "squirrely" at top speeds? And, what do you plan to do for cooling those ginormous brakes?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/08/14 06:24 PM

spoiler and bumper plugs are done and shipped to have molds made. Both will be available in fiberglass or carbon fiber. Bumper will have aluminum blocks on the back for attachment, and spoiler has an aluminum inner structure for attachment and strength. The spoiler will be available with a channel in the top to allow sliding in a 1/8" wide extension piece to make as much or as little downforce as you need.

The blue tape represents the channel that will be molded in the spoiler. You can slide in any height 1/8" plexi to make an extension. Through bolts from the back into the inner structure will secure it. You can make a contoured piece that looks stock and then slide it out for a taller one for track days. Once in awhile I actually have a good idea. I'm really liking this!

And the bumper... The valance is not bolted in the center which is why it looks pushed out. The bumper is laser straight!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/08/14 06:34 PM

both parts...

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/08/14 07:46 PM

Awesome

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/08/14 10:49 PM

Nice

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/10/14 01:11 AM

Thanks guys. I'll post up the production pieces as soon as I get them back.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/10/14 08:22 PM

Quote:

on the diffusers, the rear of the rocker panel, would you want to have the tail end angle outwards to the tire sidewall, instead of ending the way you have it mocked.

Sorry, missed this one. Yes, they will have an angled plate that is actually the exhaust...

Quote:

Also, the rear of the 1/4 drop, would you want to taper that towards the center of the car? I'm not totally sure of the top speed concept, just throwing that out there. Would doing this make the car more apt to be "squirrely" at top speeds?

Not sure which part your talking about?

Quote:

And, what do you plan to do for cooling those ginormous brakes?

Twin ducts with fans for the front wheels. The valance will have a door that opens and closes to allow air in.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/16/14 08:28 PM

Again, nice execution, and well thought out

Not clear, what holds the spoiler Plexi in place?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/18/14 01:17 AM

The spoiler has an aluminum inner structure. Through bolts from the back of the spoiler secure it in the channel. The channel is deep enough to hold the plexi in double shear, and the bolts in the back prevent it from coming up and out.

This was my first idea before deciding to use the channel, but the inner structure remains the same.
(Sketch from Jeff Munssey at Munssey Speed and Design. It really pisses me off that he can do this while I'm on the phone with him telling him what I want...I wish I could draw well!)

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/18/14 11:49 PM

[quote
Quote:

Also, the rear of the 1/4 drop, would you want to taper that towards the center of the car? I'm not totally sure of the top speed concept, just throwing that out there. Would doing this make the car more apt to be "squirrely" at top speeds?

The black piece to rear of the tires. Below the 1/4 panel.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/19/14 12:27 AM

Quote:

[quote
Quote:

The black piece to rear of the tires. Below the 1/4 panel.

Okay, I see. No. The air on the rear quarter needs to stay "attached" to the side of the car, and be prevented from "rolling" under the car until it can merge back together behind it. Merging the air from the spoiler, under the car, and from the sides smoothly is the trick. People make LOTS of money figuring that out. Balancing downforce with drag. I'm not that concerned with every last .001 of a second lap time. I'll error on the down force side for stability and pay the drag penalty. That being said, I still want it fast! The rear extensions are the outside "plates" of the rear diffuser. Between them, on the valance, are 3 smaller plates that help direct airflow from under the car, and between them all is a lower wing!! So air exits out the back, is forced to stay straight by the plates, and then is curved upwards from the valance shape with vortex generators and lower wing. This merges with the air coming off the spoiler, without disrupting the airflow from the sides of the car too badly, to make a clean hole through the air. Theoretically!! We'll see what the wind tunnel says when its done. I can't afford to develop parts in the tunnel, so am relying on a few people with tons of experience from two completely different back grounds. One a race car guy and one an aerospace engineer. Don't forget to throw me in to screw it up with my own ideas!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/20/14 12:01 AM

Okay.. makes sense now..I wasn't sure what you had going on underneath the rear of the car..Its great you have people to bounce ideas and thoughts off of.. Helps out BIG time..
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/22/14 04:26 PM

Speachless, this is the most impresive build I have ever seen. PERIOD!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/24/14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Speachless, this is the most impresive build I have ever seen. PERIOD!

Thanks, it's in version 2.0 now! Ben Hermance is doing a rendering now so I can finally see if the picture in my head is the same as reality!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/24/14 04:39 PM

Thanks guys.

Here is a link to Jeff @ Munssey Speed and Design, who is doing the molds and production pieces. He is just starting out, does very good quality work, and is still affordable!! Check out his Facebook page for pics of the process from plug-to-mold-to-production-pieces. He just posted up the bumper start procedure. http://www.munsseyspeedanddesign.com

I think this stuff is cool to see, but then again, I watch a lot of How it's Made and Factory Made on TV.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/13/15 09:41 PM

Okay, here it is. Been working with Ben Hermance on rendering the new mods to the 'Cuda, and here they are. Calling it Twin Turbo 'Cuda 2.Oh!

Love it, hate it, lets hear it!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/14/15 02:44 AM

I love the wheels on the second pic, That's the exact style I'm looking for...The car it's self speaks for it's self...

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/15/15 01:15 AM

Think I am going to ditch the chrome. I think this looks much better.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/15/15 01:18 AM

Quote:

I love the wheels on the second pic, That's the exact style I'm looking for...The car it's self speaks for it's self...

Thanks, those are Forgline DE3C's. My wife likes those better, too. I'm really liking the Rodsters. Guess I'll wait until time to order to have that "discussion".

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/15/15 04:13 AM

Holy cow...1500.00, no wonder I like them...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/15/15 04:46 AM

What's with the stripe on the roof?

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/15/15 02:41 PM

Quote:

What's with the stripe on the roof?

Those are roof rails with integrated windshield clips. Both required by SCTA for cars running over 200 mph.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/19/15 09:56 PM

Well, I guess I have strayed too far from the Mopar purist. It was bound to happen. Updates will be on Cuda-Challenger as the car progresses.
Posted By: 68_661charger

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/19/15 10:09 PM

Huh? Why? You receiving hate mail or something? This build is awesome!
Posted By: jeffl300

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/20/15 12:07 AM

AWESOME build!!! Agree with the no chrome look and like the 2nd wheel choice too. Don't listen to the haters. I love ALL Mopars....BUT if EVERY Mopar was numbers matching,all original,Steelies and dog dishes, blah,blah,blah...how boring would the hobby be??
Stay true to your vision!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 02/22/15 01:26 AM

blacked out !!! version for sure i love bens designs he lives in the next town over from me !! i have ben building his cannon ball 74 charger for 5 years now !! lol time flies !! I got it out of popular hotrod !! for free !!! WAHOOOO !!! poor man living in the rich mans world !!! your builds are awesome !!! car looks sick !!! wicked pissa awesome !!! when cannon ball is done !!! in comes a 2007 srt 8 and a 68 charger !!! convertible will drive out !!! you inspire me to build it !!! your cars are really truly beautiful !!! with the performance to back it up !!! you are a real craftsman !!! LOOKS PERFECT !!!! great job WOW !!!!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 05/18/15 11:57 PM

Thanks guys.

Actually scheduled some weekend time for this!! Haven't had a chance to even wipe the dust off in about 6 months.

Time to squeeze in some 345's and start the wide body.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 06/16/15 05:41 AM

looks wicked killer !! blacked out 2nd one wheels too< love it !! just watched lmc super cuda wow yours looks a lot betta wow !!!

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 06/19/15 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By sparcy
looks wicked killer !! blacked out 2nd one wheels too< love it !! just watched lmc super cuda wow yours looks a lot betta wow !!!

Thanks! Not posting pics just yet, but she is wearing 345's in the rear and close to fitting the 305 fronts.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/16/15 10:34 PM

Well, as all things do, change is coming in a big way for the 'Cuda. So, the entire front clip is available for sale. I'll cut it at the firewall, so you get aprons and rails forward, all suspension, brakes, rack, etc...The whole clip, including wheels and tires if wanted. Call me if interested.

Posted By: racerx

Re: My '70 'Cuda twin turbo build. - 10/19/15 02:47 AM

Cool Build thumbs
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/19/15 04:18 AM

All I can say is wow. This thread started years ago and you are starting over on the front end again. After watching your work I can only imagine that a hellcat or better is coming along to the cuda.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 10/20/15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By moparpollack

All I can say is wow. This thread started years ago and you are starting over on the front end again. After watching your work I can only imagine that a hellcat or better is coming along to the cuda.

Actually front and back! Basically building a GT-1 car. I'll make the car legal to race in NASA American Iron Extreme and will run the OUSCA events. Car will still have a full interior, creature comforts, A/C, etc. So a GT-1 car you can drive on the street, but still a 'Cuda....just a stupid fast, road racing rocket of a 'Cuda.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 12/23/15 12:29 AM

All parts of the 'Cuda have been sold! The entire front clip with suspension, rear, wheels/tires, trans, etc...

All the new RSRT stuff is being readied, so I think it's time to close this build thread and start another. Look for something like, "GT1 Track Warrior 'Cuda build..."

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

Re: Twin Turbo Cuda - 06/04/16 01:00 AM

New build thread on the 'Cuda for those interested. I'll post over here if you want to see it on this forum as well.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=52748
© 2024 Moparts Forums