Most of you know I was for a time the Tech director for FAST and at the time Wayne's Vette ~10.53 in the heat of the day at the Mopar Nats was the quickest and about 1/2 a second quicker thean the rest of the field.

I always thought the 71 Stang with the SCJ 429 would someday be an awesome combo and much praise and to Lane and I know the kind of extensive time and effort that must've went into it, I'd love to see the mods to the Cylinder heads on that motor, the oem's as cast have a particularly limited exhaust port so I know they've got a ton of work done to them to make that kind of power. (regardless of how many cubes you got). Back then I believe Lane was running a beautifully prepared Torino that was obviously a bit heavier and didn't transfer the weight dynamically like a mustang could. That fastback body was pretty popular in stock in the mid/late 70's due to it's weight transfer/hooking ability. The 429/460 isnt't really substantially (if any) heavier in race form than the ootb Iron headed 351C so it seems like a natural.

as for the mods to the front end if they deem the mods legal then that's what it is, even if it visually doesn't look correct. but that does seem to be a bit of a deviation from the origianl rules because I remember several contestents pointing out that Jack's (Iron's) car had a bit of visual alteration to the front spring eyes of the rear leafs...even though you did have to look under the car to really see it.....to a casual observer the stance of that bad bird was certainly correct. both as it sat and going down the track.

At the time I had wondered if anyone was running 70mm Exhaust (which is european spec and approx 2.75" od....even a nine year old can spot 3" pipe but 2 3/4 vs 2 1/2 can be really tough to eyeball....especially if very few are aware it is even available. I didn't spot any back then but I noted it would be an easy "upgrade" to make to the headpipes off the manifolds.

I want to make it to another show just for the fun of it and to see the great guys again....I had a blast for sure....But it would be interesting to see what "rules" (if any and I'm not saying any have ) might have been slackened up just a tad in the interest of speed and putting the hard found but well hidden power to work...I wonder if I would spot somethings that weren't kosher before or weren't 100% allowed back then...but even what I DID spot I'd sure as heck keep to myself.....after all it's SOMEBODY ELSE's worry now!!

Rulz are rulz but there are always things that fall into a grey area that can (in certain instances) create a double-standard where perhaps it's ok for some brands of cars but not for others and that's where tempers can flair and resentments started...it can definately be a fine-line.

Great job guy's!!!!

Last edited by Streetwize; 10/04/10 07:52 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0