Back in the 70s, in Tulsa, we all cruised South Peoria Avenue. It was a 3 mile loop that moved very slowly, as many have described, to check out other cars and ladies. The exception was at 41st, where there was a traffic light. When north and southbound traffic would stop, it was normally with a couple cars lined up, by jockeying around for position. Engines would rev, the light turned green, and the 1st and 2nd gear drags began.

We aggravated each other on the street, but when the serious racing was at hand, we went out on the Okmulgee Beeline, where there was that magical 1/4 mile section we'd marked off.

A memorable Saturday night I was cruising and my buddy Rick was riding, because the trans in his Torino was out until Monday - waiting for parts.

Anyhow, we chose a 396 Chevelle and went to the Beeline, followed by quite a few other cars.

I had a '57 Chevy 150 2 door sedan. Rick - due to where he worked - had helped me put in mini-tubs [remember, 1975], the rear had been narrowed a few inches, the 10" chrome reverse wheels were shod with Marsh's racing tires. It was a seriously built 327, backed with a 4-gear and 4.11 gears...slappers on the springs.

So, we open the headers, bump the timing, flip the air cleaner and are ready to go. the Chevelle was a pretty stock L-78 car/

When we took off, we were fairly even. I grabbed second, the front raised when the torque transferred and the '68 Chrysler 300 bucket seat [bolted to 2X4s, bolted to the floor] Rick was sitting broke the bolts through the 2X4 and Rick went to what would be the back seat, if the car had one. His feet are in the air, the Chevelle is losing ground fast - Rick is yelling to keep going.

We won the race, Rick extricated himself from the back of the car and collected our money. I drove rather sedately to Rick's house so he wouldn't flop around too much, chuckling to myself a lot about the mental and actual picture.

The big thing was winning the race, in those days.

Attached is a pic of the intersection on Brookside, from the day.

6177551-41standPeoria.jpg (185 downloads)