Here's something that kinda runs along this thread...
One night I'm with a friend who had a pretty nice but ordinary '65 GTO. We're over at Connecting Hwy, watching the races & true to form the cops show up. They're busy making everyone leave & shouting at us, opening fire hydrants along the service road so the water will run down & stop everyone from racing.
We start to pile back into his car when one of the cops stops us & begins asking for ID, etc. etc. He starts looking over the car then gets real concerned after looking at the VIN tag. He then pulls my friend aside & starts asking where he got the car, who sold it to him, etc., etc. My friend doesn't know any better so he answers all the questions, being real cooperative & all that.
Next thing we know he starts being accused of having a stolen car . So now we start asking about how the cop knows this, what'll happen to the car & all that. The cop explains it all, even saying we (my friend) should be planning to sue whomever sold him the car, he'll never get the parts back he added onto the car & all that. So he goes back to his patrol car & we wait. After about 30 mins. he tells us we can go.
It seems, according to him, that GM used regular round rivets on VIN tags for about the first half of the model year & then went to the octagonal ones after that. The officer saw the round rivets on my friends VIN tag & thought the tag had been switched causing him to suspect the car was stolen. All this took about an hour & a half and sitting on the service road of Connecting being held by the cops made us all feel like we were going to jail! Fortunately he let us go without so much as a loud muffler ticket.....