Great thread I grew up in the Boro Park/Fort Hamilton Parkway area of Brooklyn before moving way down south to Montgomery in late 1973. I was too young to have been there in person but my folks used to take me to a small amusement park just down from the Big Bow Wow on Cross Bay Boulevard (iirc) summer weekends. My 'racing' was done H/O scale at Buzz-A-Rama on Church Avenue which is still in operation on weekends

In 1975 the cruising went on nightly up and down Atlanta Highway. The leos knew most of the racers and as long as the actual races took place in low traffic areas, there wasn't much hassle. The big hangout was the Krystal. The impressive rides included a sweet black Anglia and later a just as beautifully done black 65 Falcon Sprint owned by Lonnie F. and a string of cars owned by Mike C. Mike had a red, white, and blue Javelin with zoomies (anyone remember those?) followed by a white 69 Camaro running a 355 chevy with 6.13 gears For a time there were several v-8 Vegas and Pintos and even a 401 Gremlin. There were also plenty of GTOs including one Judge, Mustangs including a High Country Special and many Camaros. I don't recall too many Mopars and although i drove a 73 Rallye Challenger, I was mostly a spectator - hey, a 318-4bbl can only speak so loud My only race was against a 71 350 4-bbl Cutlass Supreme. I lost by half a car length, we were caught, and i wound up going to court for a drag-racing ticket. On sundays some of us would head to a home made dragstrip 6th street which was a dead end street with only one house on it, or to Montgomery International Raceway. MIR has been recently renovated and still holds round track races; for drag racing Montgomery Motorsports Park is the place. I've been told by that across from Gunter AFS the remains of Capitol City Dragway still remain as it was THE place to race during the sixties and early seventies but i've yet to hike over to check it out. I have some pictures from 6th street that i'll post when i find them.

During 1978 i moved away from home for the first time and lived in Birmingham where Roebuck Parkway became my cruising location, again hanging out at the Krystal in Center Point. I worked at Roebuck Chrysler-Plymouth and saw many cool Mopars come by in between the usual warranty work. There was a larger variety of vehicles including a blown hemi powered T-bucket, a sweet yellow 70 Boss 302, and a fellow i worked with who had a Black 69 Z-28 with a cross-ram. Racing would take place on I-59 heading southbound towards exit 134 (Roebuck Parkway). There were plenty of Mopars - and local dragstrips - in the Birmingham area but by 1979 i was back in Montgomery.

Russ