Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Actually I doubt that an A12 aircleaner will ever fit under any factory hood with the weiand intake no matter how short the throttle bodies are. The A12 base is the tallest of all the available air cleaners. It Is not dropped like all the rest. I have my doubts about fitting any kind of factory style air cleaner under your factory hood. Might not even fit with no air cleaner. Close the hood slowly. I have one of these intakes sitting on a shelf. Only place it will fit with a factory aircleaner.

Please keep in mind that the Weiand intake was designed over 45 years ago to run NHRA SuperStock F or G in a fiberglass hood car with no aircleaner. They did not care if it fit anything else. Paul Rossi said there was no reason to rev past 6500 rpm and that was with a stock stroke 440 and a .750 lift roller cam. Now days they use sheet metal intakes and rev 2000 rpm higher.

Since you want to keep your stock airgrabber hood, I think you would be better off to just put TF 240 heads on it with a Hughes modified Edelbrock Intake. Just sell that Weiand intake for a bundle. The only Six-pack intake that would flow enough for maxwedge size ports on a stroker engine is a sheet metal tunnelram or the big Indy tub and they aren't going to fit your hood either.

I suppose I should add that your airgrabber scoop is probably the smallest fresh air scoop Chrysler ever used and will likely restrict your engine somewhat no matter what heads or intake you decide on.

All good and appreciated info. You are correct, I measured today and while the F&B setup may fit, no air cleaner will, and putting a sock over the throttle bodies, with them shoved up against the hood isn't an option either.
Regarding the A12 base, that was my understanding regarding the "drop" but I got a good deal on it, a fiberglass orange painted cover, new rubber hood seal, and even the tube of glue for the hood seal, so if that isn't needed and I can use the Airbox that goes w/the 70 N96, well it will be one or the other.
I asked about the Indy 440-25, but I don't know if that would perform any better or as well as the Weiand, and it definitely doesn't look as nice, to me.
As far as the performance of the Weiand goes, I am going to have it ported and worked over, and brought to Max Wedge port size for the Trick Flow 270s that are going on the 540. Ultimately, unless it performs better than even I can imagine, with mods and all that my Promax modded Holley carbs can offer, I do plan on going to the F&B 3x2 EFI direct port injection system, and that can flow 1,900 to 2,400 CFM.
I already spoke with someone I trust who can do all that for me and has experience with all aspects of that including the injector bungs, and that would also allow for the kind of top notch ignition system I've always wanted.
Basically the biggest problems with the Weiand are nullified by the DPI, as it becomes a dry intake at that point.
I'm open to corrections should those assumptions be flawed, please comment.
Trick Flow 240s on a 540?? and a modded dual plane?? I am going to drive it on the street far far more than the track, but it "seems" to me like the dual plane, even modded, would be a HUGE cork holding back the sheer volume of a 540 cu in motor, and then 240s vs 270s would have a similar choking off effect.
Tell me where I'm wrong, I want to know what you think!
Thanks

Last edited by BiomedTechGuy; 06/05/20 01:09 AM.