Originally Posted by Twostick

That's the nice thing about displacement, even when built mild enough for your grandmother it will still make enough torque to scare the $hit out of you if applied indiscriminately.

My 9:1 MP509 cammed 493 wedge made over 500 ft/lbs between 2000 and 5000, 600 peak @ 4000.

Kevin

"over 500 ft/lbs between 2000 and 5000" THAT is an enviable torque band, and great for a mostly street car, like mine
9:1 seems low, especially with aluminum heads, unless you are running regular vs 91-93 octane pump gas
I will want a little more CR than 9:1 but I certainly don't want to have any problems with premium pump gas
I'm looking for my stroker to displace around 540 cu in because I'm only building one, and running at the upper limits of a factory block (600-700HP) and trying to get a good factory block to do it with (I'm storing my current short block when the stroker goes in) I figure an aftermarket block is going to be great peace of mind, and I may as well make it aluminum, and the one I want allows for a 4.50 stroke without clearancing, has a 4.50 bore (w/room for a little more bore). So I figure a 4.25 stroke and 4.50 bore will have great torque and good HP with easy to live with cam and valvetrain.