Several years ago my wife had a modern charger r/t. While the car was only 5.7 it was pretty quick. I was driving it for an errand and then immediately went to go drive the satellite. I totally felt like I was driving a wagon down a hill. The brakes felt spongy and inadequate, the power obviously was not as much nor crisp, and the steering felt like there was no response. Granted it was old, but it was in great shape for the age. It was at that moment that I totally appreciated what technology has done to the automobile.

Working as a principal I can tell you that today’s kids don’t view cars the way older generations did. For the most part cars are just a means to go from point a to b. Whereas my generation couldn’t wait to turn 16 to get a license many kids can graduate and still be unmotivated to get a dL. Saying that however, society is different......the old cruising drags and car hop fast food type restaurants are not there any longer. You don’t have to go meet up to talk to your friends (iPhones/social media). With the way cars are designed you can’t even do a basic oil change in some instances. The stores do not even carry the same auto supplies. Walmart used to carry tons of oil now it’s very limited. As much as we would like to say the kids are just lazy the reality is things are more prohibited. A screwdriver could tune an older car whereas now a laptop is a must.