Moparts

Looks like I’m done

Posted By: -Cuda

Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 02:20 AM

In October after 21 years of ownership I sold my 71 Barracuda. Sunday I listed my original 73 Satellite. Today I had a gentleman stop by and pay for it. Friday he comes with his trailer. It’s been a good run, but I believe I’m officially done with the old iron.
I enjoyed the swap meets, the car shows, and the discussions about my old cars.
I will always be a Mopar fan but I’ve come to realize how much I like the ease of hitting the button and having the confidence to drive anywhere in comfort in my widebody Scatpack.

Attached picture EA80E849-1320-49EC-BA73-CEDF9D704A6E.jpeg
Attached picture A48D865B-0D04-471A-824F-2876DD5145DB.jpeg
Attached picture 99446A6C-AADC-4B3E-8B61-2572D9609CB0.jpeg
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 02:29 AM

And in late 2015, I ordered a PCP Scat Pack Shaker - took delivery the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate the older iron & wish my AAR was all done. Then to start on my '72 Cuda..............
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 02:36 AM

SunnyRuff ...so you appreciate the older stuff more ?

What was your disappointment in the Scat ?
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 03:11 AM

That's a great looking car - enjoy! up
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 03:18 AM

Love the color, and I don't blame you one bit. Some guys can stick it out with the older cars just fine, but I've seen some that try to hold on only to get burned out from little things and lose interest completely. Everyone is different.
Posted By: polarconvert

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 03:42 AM

The writing has been on the wall for the last 3yrs, You have to be blind not seeing it. I am in my mid fifties and so are all my car friends, I have been telling them its over. The younger generation wants a car like the OP has. A car to get into and go without worries. Younger generation is a throw away generation. If it cost too much to fix , throw it away and buy a better one. Its done kids.. Only the high dollar collectibles will be around for the ultra rich that have no idea on how to pull a head on a BB mopar and have the money to pay someone else. WHy buy a rattle box when you can buy a modern A/C car with double reliable HP with safety features that you could jump in and drive comfortably across the USA for less?
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by polarconvert
The writing has been on the wall for the last 3yrs, You have to be blind not seeing it. I am in my mid fifties and so are all my car friends, I have been telling them its over. The younger generation wants a car like the OP has. A car to get into and go without worries. Younger generation is a throw away generation. If it cost too much to fix , throw it away and buy a better one. Its done kids.. Only the high dollar collectibles will be around for the ultra rich that have no idea on how to pull a head on a BB mopar and have the money to pay someone else. WHy buy a rattle box when you can buy a modern A/C car with double reliable HP with safety features that you could jump in and drive comfortably across the USA for less?

The new stuff is cool and yeah you can drive them across the country if you want to, not sure why you would though. They're still gas swilling V8's that cost a lot to maintain and run. If you're looking for a garage pet I'd still take the old stuff and that's what my next one will be. Lets see how many fire sales there are in this "dying" hobby for a 67 chevelle or 68/69 charger, I am thinking not many lol.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 04:08 AM

Several years ago my wife had a modern charger r/t. While the car was only 5.7 it was pretty quick. I was driving it for an errand and then immediately went to go drive the satellite. I totally felt like I was driving a wagon down a hill. The brakes felt spongy and inadequate, the power obviously was not as much nor crisp, and the steering felt like there was no response. Granted it was old, but it was in great shape for the age. It was at that moment that I totally appreciated what technology has done to the automobile.

Working as a principal I can tell you that today’s kids don’t view cars the way older generations did. For the most part cars are just a means to go from point a to b. Whereas my generation couldn’t wait to turn 16 to get a license many kids can graduate and still be unmotivated to get a dL. Saying that however, society is different......the old cruising drags and car hop fast food type restaurants are not there any longer. You don’t have to go meet up to talk to your friends (iPhones/social media). With the way cars are designed you can’t even do a basic oil change in some instances. The stores do not even carry the same auto supplies. Walmart used to carry tons of oil now it’s very limited. As much as we would like to say the kids are just lazy the reality is things are more prohibited. A screwdriver could tune an older car whereas now a laptop is a must.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 09:59 AM

That is a super nice looking new Challenger. I hope you enjoy it. I can admit at 50 years old I work mon thru fri like everyone else but put all hobby stuff, house repairs car repairs and projects onto the weekends so Im less motivated to work on things. Factor in a back thats had multiple surgeries and I for one see the attraction to the new stuff. One can still do wheel & tire mods- heck even bolt on aftermarket exh with a tune if one wants to tinker with the new stuff. The wrenching on old iron is an enjoyable hobby to some and a detraction to others.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4263rdGen

The new stuff is cool and yeah you can drive them across the country if you want to, not sure why you would though. They're still gas swilling V8's that cost a lot to maintain and run.

i strongly disagree with this.
in my opinion modern cars are extremely fuel efficient compared to older cars. also depending on what you are looking for. they drive , handle and stop much better over a old car.
i have a built supercharged 08 mustang that makes 650rwhp on pump 93 octane, 750+ on race gas. it gets 25+ mpg on the highway, and a easy 15 in the city depending on how you drive. i can easily drive to the track, add my race tune to the car ,run low 10's all day long, change back to my stock tune and drive home without even opening the hood if i didn't want to.
as far as maintenance. in my opinion there is less on a modern car than a older car. yes it's seems more complicated on a new car. in my opinion it's mostly different tools and mindset to work on them. once you understand how they work and get the proper tools it's not that bad. some things are much easier, some things are much more complicated. the biggest drawback is things can get pretty expensive depending on what you are doing. one bonus is most of the time, parts are much easier and you have more choices where to buy them for a modern car than a older one.
with that said it's hard to believe but there are a significant amount of parts that have been discontinued from the factory for my mustang. i am thankful there is a large aftermarket
support for it.

to the OP. CONGRATULATIONS on your decision. i know it was difficult but in the long run i think you will be happy with it.
i made the same decision a few years ago and have never regretted it.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr T2U
Originally Posted by 4263rdGen

The new stuff is cool and yeah you can drive them across the country if you want to, not sure why you would though. They're still gas swilling V8's that cost a lot to maintain and run.

i strongly disagree with this.
in my opinion modern cars are extremely fuel efficient compared to older cars. also depending on what you are looking for. they drive , handle and stop much better over a old car.
i have a built supercharged 08 mustang that makes 650rwhp on pump 93 octane, 750+ on race gas. it gets 25+ mpg on the highway, and a easy 15 in the city depending on how you drive. i can easily drive to the track, add my race tune to the car ,run low 10's all day long, change back to my stock tune and drive home without even opening the hood if i didn't want to.
as far as maintenance. in my opinion there is less on a modern car than a older car. yes it's seems more complicated on a new car. in my opinion it's mostly different tools and mindset to work on them. once you understand how they work and get the proper tools it's not that bad. some things are much easier, some things are much more complicated. the biggest drawback is things can get pretty expensive depending on what you are doing. one bonus is most of the time, parts are much easier and you have more choices where to buy them for a modern car than a older one.
with that said it's hard to believe but there are a significant amount of parts that have been discontinued from the factory for my mustang. i am thankful there is a large aftermarket
support for it.

to the OP. CONGRATULATIONS on your decision. i know it was difficult but in the long run i think you will be happy with it.
i made the same decision a few years ago and have never regretted it.

There is no denying that, but if you're going on a cross country trip I am thinking the 650hp mustang isn't going to be the car you'd take from your fleet. My point was if its just going to be a weekend toy / garage art the old stuff still makes sense and more in a lot of cases.
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 12:47 PM

I still love the old hot rods but appreciate the technology of modern muscle. I'll take the modern for daily driver duties and keep the old iron for fun cruising and a backup for when the electronics go down in the new stuff. Or blend the two into a cool resto mod.

Attached picture 20191224_112341.jpg
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 01:08 PM

i drive it all of the time cross country. i daily drive it in the summer, i usually drive it 6-8000 miles a year. it's actually the nicest car i own.
with the exception of the aftermarket intake manifold that allows me to bolt on a stock GT500 TVS supercharger to a 4.6, upgraded clutch and headers. the rest of the parts on the car are stock OEM mustang parts. granted the motor internals, and the rear end have been modified to stronger internals.
my choices are a 2000 Honda accord with 150K my daily driver winter beater, 2000 dodge ram 4X4 with a 360 auto my occasional weekend parts hauler, and my mustang. actually after installing a GT500 6 speed man trans the mustang gets almost as good as gas mpg on the freeway as the Honda.
i something something comparable can be done to a new challenger or charger pretty easily. i bought a mustang because i got it really cheap after it was in to many fender benders by it's teenage driver. dad said no more after he got a new insurance quote with a teen driver and a mustang..
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 02:13 PM

I have two driveable vehicles, a 2019 2500 the company provides for me to use and I can use it for personal stuff and a 1951 Plymouth. I pretty much only drive the 2500 for work and the Plymouth for everything else. Even though the company pays for all the gas, insurance maintenance, etc for the 2500 including for my personal use I prefer the Plymouth. I actually like to be in charge of driving.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 03:35 PM

You can make old cars do amazing things, but you have to stop building engines with 9:1 compression, stock exhaust manifolds, and use better tires than BFG Radial T/A's. Cars built like that are financially safe bets so that is what dominates the old car hobby.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by -Cuda
In October after 21 years of ownership I sold my 71 Barracuda. Sunday I listed my original 73 Satellite. Today I had a gentleman stop by and pay for it. Friday he comes with his trailer. It’s been a good run, but I believe I’m officially done with the old iron.
I enjoyed the swap meets, the car shows, and the discussions about my old cars.
I will always be a Mopar fan but I’ve come to realize how much I like the ease of hitting the button and having the confidence to drive anywhere in comfort in my widebody Scatpack.

Change is good. Nothing wrong with starting fresh. Al least you have a foot still in the hobby.
Posted By: WildHorse

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 03:47 PM

i drive it all of the time cross country. i daily drive it in the summer, i usually drive it 6-8000 miles a year. it's actually the nicest car i own.
with the exception of the aftermarket intake manifold that allows me to bolt on a stock GT500 TVS supercharger to a 4.6, upgraded clutch and headers. the rest of the parts on the car are stock OEM mustang parts. granted the motor internals, and the rear end have been modified to stronger internals.
my choices are a 2000 Honda accord with 150K my daily driver winter beater, 2000 dodge ram 4X4 with a 360 auto my occasional weekend parts hauler, and my mustang. actually after installing a GT500 6 speed man trans the mustang gets almost as good as gas mpg on the freeway as the Honda.
i something something comparable can be done to a new challenger or charger pretty easily. i bought a mustang because i got it really cheap after it was in to many fender benders by it's teenage driver. dad said no more after he got a new insurance quote with a teen driver and a mustang..

Yep. My 5.0 averaged right around 29 mpg @ 70 mph on a 1000 mile trip. About 8 mpg better than my wifes caravan @ 60 mph
Plus if I miss the rumble of a old muscle car idling, I just load in my ghost cam tune wink
Posted By: racerx20

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 07:30 PM

I sold my 69 Dart after 14 years of ownership and replaced with a 392 T/A. The only time I really miss the Dart is going to the local cruise in's, the new cars just aren't the same in that aspect. Other than that the Challenger is better at everything other than 1/4 et's and MPH's.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 07:55 PM

Im in the market for a car. I Gave some VERY serious thought to a newer challenger ,,,maybe even a Viper.
I went so far as to take a test drive in a newer SRT Challenger. Car was fun, damn quick and handled great. Actually did everything I want ,,, BUT when I got outside of it , stepped back and take a look. I just couldnt do it.

To me that itch is / can only be filled with vintage iron. IMO they have a soul the new stuff just cant duplicate. And as far as buying something modern drive train in vintage sheet metal intrigues me to a degree. But ..its just not the same , At least not to me
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 08:06 PM

My friend bought a new Hellcat Challenger Redeye widebody, and is selling off all his old school cars.
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 08:13 PM

Congrats to the OP. Nice car!

I often find myself in a debate with myself over old vs new. I actually sold off my old cars some time ago and had gone a long time without driving anything older than the late 1990s. After that, hopping into anything from the sixties seemed the equivalent of driving a horse and wagon, which isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but it's more a feeling of nostalgia for simpler times of long ago than pure driving experience. That said, I recall driving my old iron back in the 1980s and wishing that it had better handling and braking, like we do now, so maybe it was my preference all along.

Really, though, it's all in what you want out of it. I've gotten to the point that I don't really care if I'm wrenching on something constantly, so the 'get in and drive' is more and more attractive to me. I guess things change, people change, etc. It's the way it goes... the only thing constant is change. I do miss my old cars from time to time, though, so I guess you never really get it out of your system.
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 08:25 PM

Nice new car..fast, comfort, safety, but not the same to me. I'm mid 50's too but would prefer your ex-71 Barracuda. The sounds, feel and smell of the old vinyl interiors just take me back to a better time. Selling my 71 gran couple 12 yrs ago was a big mistake...318 cold air, 7 1/4 rear but swiss watch dependable!

Attached picture DSCN0612.JPG
Attached picture DSCN5161.JPG
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 09:51 PM

I'm 60 and my newest car is older than our '68 GTS was when we bought it in 1983, but just barely. I can't afford anything newer that is interesting so it doesn't really matter what I think on the matter, but if I had a pile of cash to put into anything car related it would go directly into the old stuff with my wife's complete blessing.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by NewbombTurkk
Nice new car..fast, comfort, safety, but not the same to me. I'm mid 50's too but would prefer your ex-71 Barracuda. The sounds, feel and smell of the old vinyl interiors just take me back to a better time. Selling my 71 gran couple 12 yrs ago was a big mistake...318 cold air, 7 1/4 rear but swiss watch dependable!

WOW, you should have kept that one. Beautiful car.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 10:02 PM

I feel like I am in a place in life where I am done with the old car hobby but I don't know how to get out. I'm 64 now and I have 3 "classics" still on hand; a running, reliable '68 Dart (360,727, 83/4) that just needs some carb re-jetting and other small stuff, a running '65 Belvedere (493, 727, 83/4) that just needs some finishing up (rear wheel spacers, headliner, window regulator), and a show winning '69 Camaro SS clone I built 20 years ago (383, Muncie, 12 bolt) that has sat so long that the gas has gone bad. All are licensed and insured but need little things. I used to love to tinker with them but I do not have the interest anymore.

I keep thinking it is time to move some or all of them along and pick up a modern driving toy but that requires effort and dealing with potential buyers. I think I once liked building the old iron more than driving them but now I think I just want to drive something fast and trouble free and not turn wrenches. This has been bothering me for some time now...
Posted By: topside

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/20/20 11:31 PM

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer; everyone has their own environment & hot-buttons.
My oldest car is a '68 Road Runner, newest is a modified '97 Mustang GT. There's also the racecar, a daily beater, an SUV, a 4x4 K10 and a Dually.
Kind of a "tool for every job". Or a toy for every mood.
The old stuff arguably has the most personality & soul, but it comes at a price: a bit raw, so to speak, and needing more maintenance.
Newer tech results in better numbers, more comfort & refinement, but a different driving experience.
52 years after my 1st car, I still build cars in my head, and am always tinkering, if not working on a total project.
I'm glad I don't have to limit myself to 1 vehicle, that would drive me nuts.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 12:05 AM

I like the get in and go of new stuff. Luckily I'm into oddball stuff and don't have wads of cash to blow so most of my old stuff I've bought for decent prices, usually as some sort of drivable or close to project, and everything I put into them is spread out over time so I wouldn't be out out much if the market on the stuff tanks other then the space I waste on it all.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 12:52 AM

To the OP- great looking ride, and they do rip!!!

I sold off my inventory a couple years back as well. Decided modern stuff was a new and exciting venture for me
Started with new chargers, then got into jeeps. Have an srt I absolutely love. I cannot believe this big girl runs the way it does, and it's not even the boosted version. Yes, to each their own. Old cars, man, I love the occasional drive I get to take when I'm lucky enough a friend tosses me the keys, but!!!!........ as far as daily stuff goes, I'm done with vintage. Newer V8's yielding 4cyl mileage, making 2xs the power and you dont have to "sit with them" on a cold day after start up.....yeah, no thanks for this guy anymore. Nothing will ever replace rowing ANY TYPE OF PISTOL GRIP shifter, EVER! But, you forget about that immediately when your stuck in traffic on a bridge in an ice storm for 2 hours with a non hydraulic or electric clutch real fast. Not hating on old iron, will always love it. But I will always defend the new stuff after having decent amounts of both them and the new regardless of what "German or italians" make them

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ramrod39
I feel like I am in a place in life where I am done with the old car hobby but I don't know how to get out. I'm 64 now and I have 3 "classics" still on hand; a running, reliable '68 Dart (360,727, 83/4) that just needs some carb re-jetting and other small stuff, a running '65 Belvedere (493, 727, 83/4) that just needs some finishing up (rear wheel spacers, headliner, window regulator), and a show winning '69 Camaro SS clone I built 20 years ago (383, Muncie, 12 bolt) that has sat so long that the gas has gone bad. All are licensed and insured but need little things. I used to love to tinker with them but I do not have the interest anymore.

I keep thinking it is time to move some or all of them along and pick up a modern driving toy but that requires effort and dealing with potential buyers. I think I once liked building the old iron more than driving them but now I think I just want to drive something fast and trouble free and not turn wrenches. This has been bothering me for some time now...

This was me. I didn’t want to deal with folks and selling, but at the same time I didn’t have the interest in the cars and could use the shop space. I just “did it” if that makes sense. I put both on Facebook market and away they went. I tried to be as honest as I could without hiding anything. The satellite sold quicker than the barracuda but I had more screwball messages about barracuda. In the end it afforded me the opportunity to get a car I’ve really wanted for a few years, but never thought I’d be able to get it.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 01:20 AM

I went from
71Cuda 340 4 Speed
to
17 SP Challenger 6 Speed
to
16 HC Challenger 6 Speed
to
70 V Code RR 4 Speed

The new cars were amazing, very fun, but I just missed the old cars.
You feel and smell them.
I am 56 and hope to always have one

Attached picture 71 Cuda 340 4 Speed.JPG
Attached picture 2017 Scat Pack.jpg
Attached picture 2016 Hellcat.jpg
Attached picture PS 2.jpg
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 01:39 AM

Sold a 72 Cutlass Supreme Convert that we rarely drove last summer. Bought a '18 Mustang GT vert to replace it. Love them or not that Stang is an absolute blast to drive....way more grunt than a guy can really use(that Coyote rpms like a chainsaw!) and all the creature comforts including radar cruise, blind spot warning,etc. Really comfortable too,just don't think about using the back seat for people...lol. We're going to road trip it to Yellowstone in Jun,probably put 3000+ miles on it. Wouldn't have done that with the Cutlass(although that car was dead reliable) If I want to drive brutal old iron I hop in the 69 B'cuda, 470" low deck,4 spd,373 gear, manual steering and brakes. I still really enjoy that and will likely never part with that car(my youngest daughter would kill me) but hard to beat the new muscle. We're living in a great time...enjoy it!!
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Im in the market for a car. I Gave some VERY serious thought to a newer challenger ,,,maybe even a Viper.
I went so far as to take a test drive in a newer SRT Challenger. Car was fun, damn quick and handled great. Actually did everything I want ,,, BUT when I got outside of it , stepped back and take a look. I just couldnt do it.

To me that itch is / can only be filled with vintage iron. IMO they have a soul the new stuff just cant duplicate. And as far as buying something modern drive train in vintage sheet metal intrigues me to a degree. But ..its just not the same , At least not to me

You are an inspiration and THIS is what should be the theme of the responses here instead of all the congratulations.
It is sad to see guys happy about a car guy selling out. Build a car right and it won't be a disappointment when you drive it.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 01:50 AM

Good for you, sir! Do what makes you happy. Better to find a new way to enjoy the hobby than to let the enjoyment fade away.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Matt M
I went from
71Cuda 340 4 Speed
to
17 SP Challenger 6 Speed
to
16 HC Challenger 6 Speed
to
70 V Code RR 4 Speed

You feel and smell them.

That Road Runner is incredible, pretty much the perfect setup.
Posted By: David1971

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 02:19 AM

I agree completely with Topside's statement: "I don't think there's a right or wrong answer; everyone has their own environment & hot-buttons". For me, its the cars from my youth. And for that reason, I'll choose the one on the left.

Attached picture Challenger Old and New.jpg
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matt M
I went from
71Cuda 340 4 Speed
to
17 SP Challenger 6 Speed
to
16 HC Challenger 6 Speed
to
70 V Code RR 4 Speed

You feel and smell them.

That is very interesting! You may be the first guy I’ve encountered that has returned to old scool.
KID

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 04:25 AM

But MM better watch out for a mildly tweaked 5.7 ....

It might very well put the hurt on that V code 70 RR eek
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 05:46 AM

Well the 70's iron has now turned 50.
And here is the topic between old musclecars & New performance cars.
When this new generation turns 50, what will the topic here be?

Fast Forward: The present generation wants nothing to do with gasoline/performance cars.
It's all about Green, Hybrids, Hydrogen, Electric, Save-The-Earth.
Oh-No my Challenger SRT, was a Sure-Bet when first bought.
Now it's a dinosaur, should I sell it before the whole gasoline thing dies?

One era just fades into another, and Another.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 09:28 AM

To each their own. I personally get a sense of accomplishment from keeping my old trucks on the road. Our new one is a really nice truck but it's just something we bought, not something I've invested my time and talent in.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 02:36 PM

I'm mid-50 also and my problem isn't necessarily the old vs new. It is more of a time and money issue. 4 old cars to get on the road after all these years and 5-6 years to make it happen, plus 2 boys to put through college. For a fact I know I can get 2 of the cars done and on the road and that is great. But retiring and knowing we are moving and having to haul 2 non-runners and all the parts just seems a bit daunting. In the meantime I have an 06 Mustang GT to have fun with and to me that is fine. It basically runs like a little 289 car and is fun to drive. Might consider selling the Bee and Barracuda for a newer Challenger or even the right 2nd gen GT coupe Viper. One way or another I have my hands more than full.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 02:53 PM

And back in the day it was 'just something you bought' as well. When you bought a new ' 70 Camaro SS 396 / 70 hemi cuda / 70 boss 302 mustang ' it put a smile on your face.
Whereas today if you bought a camaro ss 1le / challenger srt / Mustang GT it puts the same smile on your face, with the added bonus of destroying those old cars in EVERY
aspect. My GT get just as many compliments as the old iron. times have change, but he goal remains the same.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Hey Doc,
If that was my concern and goal I would have just kept the Hell Cat...…...
Posted By: kab69440

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 07:53 PM

I can undestand. I finally bought a Challenger last year. For the first time in more than 30 years, I am seriously considering interviewing for a potential new owner for my Charger. I can't quite bring myself to list it, yet. I'm not sure if I could actually do it or not. The Challenger is an absolute blast, though.
Posted By: moparply

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 09:02 PM

Enjoy your new car!
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/21/20 09:27 PM

I have a couple of old cars. They are fun to drive. Daily drive them, never anymore. I don't want the idiots in traffic to hit me. I have an 06 Charger I daily drive. It is a blast, but given the option I would rather drive my road runner.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 12:13 AM

I've had old and new but the main difference for me is the cost. All the new SRT cars have a $1700 gas guzzler tax, sales tax 6% for the last car, and high insurance rates and tag fees. Between payment, insurance, tag, my SRT Charger was around $1100 a month.

My current favorite car 70 Roadrunner doesn't handle at all, brakes horribly but going through the gears always puts a smile on my face for much less than the new car.

Lastly having to drive a fast car slow is a punishment. 80 mph at 2000 rpm is like driving any other generic new car.

Enjoy the new car, you always can come back to the old stuff.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by WildHorse
And back in the day it was 'just something you bought' as well. When you bought a new ' 70 Camaro SS 396 / 70 hemi cuda / 70 boss 302 mustang ' it put a smile on your face.
Whereas today if you bought a camaro ss 1le / challenger srt / Mustang GT it puts the same smile on your face, with the added bonus of destroying those old cars in EVERY
aspect. My GT get just as many compliments as the old iron. times have change, but he goal remains the same.

They were never just something I bought, lol. They never stayed stock for even a month. I have been driving and working on new model year vehicles every year for the last 45 years so they aren't really special to me. Our new truck is still under warranty and then has the Mopar lifetime warranty on it so I'm not modifying it.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

They were never just something I bought, lol.

Really? Guess a 1977 chevette that was bought new in 77 was something that was gonna be cherished by the owner forever? I don't think so.
3 type of buyers since the beginning of time:

1. It's just a car buyer.
2. That's the coolest car I can afford buyer.
3. That brings me back to my youth buyer.

Unless your Leno that can afford anything. Nobody bought a 1970 Hemi Cuda just to think, man in 50 years this thing is gonna be boss. After
a few years, 8 times outta 9 they sold it, or traded it in for something newer. Cheers.
Posted By: yorker

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 04:02 AM

When I bought a red in and out 70 Challenger RT in 74, I knew it was something special. Had It a year and totaled it.
Last time I drove a 70 Challenger in 1991, it was cool untill it broke down.
Mostly for me the old stuff is way more cool. Heck, I loved my garage queen 77 New Yorker with only 8,500 miles on it. Just to uncover it and look at it twice a year was fine. Five years after I sold it, I still grieve. Needed the money.
I was really uptight about driving it in inner city Houston though. I would hate to get windshield chips or wrecked.
Anyone else with garage queens, I feel your pain about driving.
I don't see why anyone would sell old stuff, just because of new unless you needed the money or space.
Look at the Chrysler Corporation history, and all. American History. Wish I had a Mopar engine to look at and take care of

But heck, I also am a Shonen Knife freak. Hey, did you know they are always on tour???Hope to see them this year.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 04:11 AM

And who cares what the younger generation likes. You ever try listen to that stuff they call music smile Heck at least we could understand the lyrics to most 60's and 70's songs. I have 2 boys, 20 and 28. Both "like" cars but aren't "car guys" like most of us on here. Youngest is into Fortnite (dont get me started) and the older one spends all his money on latest (expensive) iphone, nice clothes (salesman at a Corvette/Cadillac dealership), eating out and more expensive Cheby truck than I've ever owned. Way wacky priorities now-a-days.

OBVIOUSLY we all like a newer vehicle as a daily driver but when I drive my 71 Challenger people don't even SEE the other cars around me. They either think that is one BAD ride or look at that old fool. Either way I really don't care. I know I built it, I can repair it, and it feels like an angry dump truck when I'm driving it. Wouldnt have it any other way. Dont get me wrong. I wouldn't mind a Hellcat or Demon but I'd still keep my dinosaur.

Attached picture Jakob and Challenger_sml.JPG

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by WildHorse

They were never just something I bought, lol.

Really? Guess a 1977 chevette that was bought new in 77 was something that was gonna be cherished by the owner forever? I don't think so.

Really. I wasn't talking about anyone else, just me. I have never bought a Chevette of any year. Lol I thought we were talking about performance cars or hobby vehicles.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 07:38 AM

To each their own. I personally get a sense of accomplishment from keeping my old trucks on the road. Our new one is a really nice truck but it's just something we bought, not something I've invested my time and talent in.

That surely equates to the "Pride" that "True" old car owners have towards old iron. Sets them apart from the ones who have invested $$ only when buying "New".

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 71TA
And who cares what the younger generation likes. You ever try listen to that stuff they call music smile Heck at least we could understand the lyrics to most 60's and 70's songs. I have 2 boys, 20 and 28. Both "like" cars but aren't "car guys" like most of us on here. Youngest is into Fortnite (dont get me started) and the older one spends all his money on latest (expensive) iphone, nice clothes (salesman at a Corvette/Cadillac dealership), eating out and more expensive Cheby truck than I've ever owned. Way wacky priorities now-a-days.

OBVIOUSLY we all like a newer vehicle as a daily driver but when I drive my 71 Challenger people don't even SEE the other cars around me. They either think that is one BAD ride or look at that old fool. Either way I really don't care. I know I built it, I can repair it, and it feels like an angry dump truck when I'm driving it. Wouldnt have it any other way. Dont get me wrong. I wouldn't mind a Hellcat or Demon but I'd still keep my dinosaur.

Now THAT'S the "proper" attitude to have when driving an E-Body!!!!!!!! "To He11 with the rest"
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 71TA

We think alike brother. I came oh so close to signing the papers on a newer SRT Challenger. , Thought hard about going to look at a 98 Viper GTS coupe. The Old car Im after , the Challenger is actually considerably cheaper and about same money as the Viper so its not about costs to me, its the smile I get when i open the garage door
But to me and my family .Only old iron will fill the void . My daughters ( ages 19 and 22 ) love the old stuff and in all honesty when they can afford one ,,,,WILL own there own someday I'm certain of it

A very good friend of mine owns a 1970 Hemi powered Cuda, A VERY stout running car AND he owns a new Challenger Demon redeye widebody. He sold his 1969 Daytona and the 1958 Chrysler 300 convertible to make garage space for the new Challenger. he didn't need the money to do ,,,just the room
He loves them both and will NEVER sell either of them . for HIM,,,,,,Its two very different feelings

Thats the nice thing about the world we live in, We can all like and enjoy different things . Drive our dream car that gets us all giggly when we kit that key. ,,,,,be them old , new or somewhere in between . I love it and think we live in some killer times for a gear head ,,,,,
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 12:41 PM

Outstanding topic...I am on my second late model RT Challenger and I have enjoyed both, they are comfortable, reasonably fast and will get you in trouble in sport mode whistling However...I would never get out of the old car and truck world, can't imagine what life would be like without an ongoing project out in the shop. Like someone said I drive each of my old vehicles as the mood strikes me, I ALWAYS get looks and thumbs up when in the GTX, the CJ7 or the old blue stepside...in parking lots people want to gawk or stop and talk or just bs at a red light... New Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros are like belly buttons everyone's got one...don't get me wrong, fun cars...but boring...if that makes sense... twocents drive
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 01:26 PM

Outstanding topic...I am on my second late model RT Challenger and I have enjoyed both, they are comfortable, reasonably fast and will get you in trouble in sport mode whistling However...I would never get out of the old car and truck world, can't imagine what life would be like without an ongoing project out in the shop. Like someone said I drive each of my old vehicles as the mood strikes me, I ALWAYS get looks and thumbs up when in the GTX, the CJ7 or the old blue stepside...in parking lots people want to gawk or stop and talk or just bs at a red light... New Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros are like belly buttons everyone's got one...don't get me wrong, fun cars...but boring...if that makes sense...

iagree

drive I enjoy driving my cars and my time working in the garage

Attached picture 82368445_10157830183241171_5222449287249526784_n.jpg
Attached picture Driving.jpg

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 03:34 PM

I would love to have a new SRT anything, but family and finances will not allow it. Priorities. But the same can be said for old iron too. Would love to have a running old Mopar but those prices are up there with SRT models as well. So just like the old days, I buy what I can afford, scrounge parts here and there and try to build one dollar at a time. I'm happy for all of you on both sides of this topic, but the car bug started for most of us in a garage, with family building our hopes and dreams and I'm happy with that. I have wanted a panel truck for no particular reason other than I think it would be a cool parts chaser, so I traded for this a few weeks ago. It's a 48 Ford but will serve it's purpose of finding Mopar related items.

Attached picture 20191027_140538.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 03:39 PM

put that on a crashed hemi late model 2wd ram chassis ! up
beer

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
put that on a crashed hemi late model 2wd ram chassis ! up
beer

I like the way you think
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 05:52 PM

Ideally, one of each. I can't live without at least one of each.
Posted By: MI Mopar Works

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 06:44 PM

and?

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 08:58 PM

Either way, that Road Runner looks and probably sounds better than any new car built. Put it and a Hellcat and Demon next to each other and the RR looks better by a mile.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 65pacecar

Either way, that Road Runner looks and probably sounds better than any new car built. Put it and a Hellcat and Demon next to each other and the RR looks better by a mile.

I have to agree, that RR is a beautiful car and with a six pack 440... I think I just came a little.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
I'm 60 and my newest car is older than our '68 GTS was when we bought it in 1983, but just barely. I can't afford anything newer that is interesting so it doesn't really matter what I think on the matter, but if I had a pile of cash to put into anything car related it would go directly into the old stuff with my wife's complete blessing.

I thought you had a newer "BM Trouble You" convertible?
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/22/20 11:18 PM

BTW - to the OP. I would suggest a different Subject. I thought you were terminally ill when I read the Subject line.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/23/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by lilcuda
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk

I thought you had a newer "BM Trouble You" convertible?

Yup, but it's now older than the GTS was in 1983...and has more miles on it, but is in considerably better condition...
Posted By: geo.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/23/20 04:53 AM

Gee, glad you've got one Dodge, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/23/20 06:01 PM

SunnyRuff ...so you appreciate the older stuff more ?

What was your disappointment in the Scat ?

Mr tHImKs it's tIMe for you to open your padlocked purse and buy a late model BooSTed chariot. The wittle rAGtoP and Voyer VaNS are DONE!!

JUST DO IT!! The orchid will reproduce whistling spank pity popcorn
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/24/20 03:22 AM

I'm not done yet but I'm getting close. I'm not interested in driving around in some crappy project car anymore that is for sure. I like having a hot rod project but these days I insist on big brakes, good tires, fuel injection, etc. I'm not interested in walking home or sitting by the side of the road waiting for a tow rig. My hot rod projects are just toys, I'd never depend on one as a daily driver like I used to when I was in my 20's.

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/24/20 01:09 PM

20's ? what are those 20's you speak of ? i KNOW you are NOT talking about big gay wheels. laugh2
beer
Posted By: Neil

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/24/20 07:13 PM

Never did understand why so many people keep saying the old stuff falls apart all the time. Perhaps it's that guys are building their cars with lower quality parts, and in some cases that is all that is available now???

It's not hard to get a carburetor to function right if you put some effort into it. I see guys at shows who have converted their old cars to EFI because they could not get it to run right with a carburetor. I'd spend a couple hundred to have a dyno guy tune my carb for me before dumping thousands on an EFI kit. I'd bet many of the guys with carb problems either bought a new one and bolted it on expecting to work great for the car right out of the box (ain't gonna happen), or they bought a $100 swap meet carb that has had 5 prior owners who have made a mess out of it.
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/25/20 03:19 PM

I've been throwing around the idea of moving to a Hellcat Challenger from my old muscle. But just love the old school styling of my 70 Challenger over the oversized new ones. If the new ones were about the size of a new mustang. I would of been in already. Don't get me wrong. I think the new muscle is still cool looking. But old school styling is just so cool. Plus when will I ever go 200 mph on the street lol

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/25/20 04:28 PM

would it be safe to ASSume going 200 on the street MAY end up with wrinkly paint ? laugh2
beer
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/25/20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
Never did understand why so many people keep saying the old stuff falls apart all the time. Perhaps it's that guys are building their cars with lower quality parts, and in some cases that is all that is available now???

Pretty much hit it on the head, it seems most of the guys that want "old" daily drivers or nice drive-able/reliable "show cars", don't have the skill sets to build/maintain them, plus add in junk/used parts, no serious upgrades in the ignition and braking/suspension/drive line dept often ends in disappointment for a reliable older vehicle.... easier to head off to the dealer for a new ride and repairs when needed, then dispose/trade it in when it becomes problematic

I'll stick with the old iron thank you, all it takes is a good going thru and some smart upgrades on a new "older" toy to make it reliable, I've actually spent more time waiting for tow rigs driving some of the newer stuff because of computer/electronic failures than with older iron which you could manage to roadside repair and limp home

Mike

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/26/20 01:25 AM

I know I only have a coupla years left and I won't be able to keep up with my old brick. I should be able to achieve my goal of an 8.50 ET with my 3500 lb street driven toy this year boogie.
Can't do the track by myself anymore as well as the heavy work sometimes required.I would trade my heap for a Redeye! eek drive whistling

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/26/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis
I know I only have a coupla years left and I won't be able to keep up with my old brick. I should be able to achieve my goal of an 8.50 ET with my 3500 lb street driven toy this year boogie.
Can't do the track by myself anymore as well as the heavy work sometimes required.I would trade my heap for a Redeye! eek drive whistling

.... I’m SURE we could put some red headlights ON THIS !

Attached picture 4DE60C2C-FCBD-4C7C-995C-581B89E541DA.png

Re: Looks like I’m done - 02/27/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis

.... I’m SURE we could put some red headlights ON THIS !

Put a tesla motor in there with some redeyes and retractable sissysticks and we can talk apples and more apples! violin violin work
© 2024 Moparts Forums