Quote:

I went through this same argument with myself when switching from an 8 3/4.

I ended up with a strange housing, Pro HD center section, 35 splines axles and the strange rear brakes. I felt the 9" is more user friendly for what I wanted to accomplish. With the aluminum center and sheetmetal housing it is probably around 25-30 lbs lighter than an S-60.

Here us what I paid.

Strange sheetmetal housing with ends welded on - $525.00
Strange Pro HD center section with a spool, 4.10 gear, and billet yoke - $1245.00
Strange axles with bearings and 5/8 studs - $515.00
Strange rear Brake kit- $580.00

Total - $2865.00

I was quoted somewhere around $2000 for an S-60 with no brakes and a spool.

So all in all I feel like the price point on both of them is right around the same if you compare apples to apples.

Here you go, right here. These are legit prices if you do NOTHING yourself, other than pick up the phone, for a rear that would likely be good to the 8 sec range. He also included the price of what the Dana was going to cost still needing brakes. And it appears, that the costs will be within a couple hundred bucks or less. But I feel certain someone will be along shortly to point out that they built one for 6 dollars and change.

But as always..........the bottom line here is choose what you WANT and what works for YOU. In the end, me nor anybody else here should care what rear you decide to use, after all it's your car. My only point is in trying to point out what some REAL WORLD pros and cons are, without all the "hype" that always appears in these type threads. So if you are a Mopar parts or die kinda guy............that's fine, follow that path, but why condemn the ones who choose NOT to follow that thinking.

Brad asked for simple pros/cons.............not a philosophical debate. Guys always feel the need to defend their choice, instead of simply answering the question

Monte