Moparts

Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons

Posted By: BradH

Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/11/15 11:47 PM

Yeah, it's been covered differently on other posts over time, but I'd like to hear specifically WHY people prefer the Dana 60 (or modern replacement) vs. the current Ford-type 9" differential for a stout street/strip application.

Just checked out Strange's web site and they do offer both as bolt-in assemblies for an E-body, but I didn't dig deep enough to start coming up w/ $$$ differences, or whether things like my current 8.75" drum brakes can be swapped directly to a 9" assembly, etc.

I'm not prejudiced against either, since I like the drop-out centersection design of my 8.75", and my ol' A12 Road Runner had the factory-installed Dana 60 backing up its 4-speed. I'm looking for legit stuff, not a bunch of subjective "You wouldn't put a FORD rear under your MOPAR, would ya'?" type comments, or whatever comparable would apply to a Dana.

So, please tell me the pros & cons of each. At some point I know The MoPig is going to need something better than my 8.75", so I might as well start asking now.

Attached picture 8426436-Challengerburnout75-80.png

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/11/15 11:56 PM

While we're at it, can I hear people's input on differential options to consider, too? My 8.75 has a tight clutch-type Sure-Grip unit and it's held up OK, but I also see options for Eaton/Detroit Lockers, Eaton/Detroit True-Track, the S-Track, etc.

I'm not familiar with the True-Track or S-Track stuff and don't know why you'd run one of those instead of a locker for similar money. Just don't suggest I run a spool, please.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/11/15 11:56 PM

I went through the same thing when my 8.75 grenaded. For my application, the Dana 60 was cheaper than the 9". You can build a complete Dana 60 from a junkyard truck rear that will withstand 1000+ hp for the cost of just a good aftermarket drop in 9" centersection (around $1300).

For that level of power, the only factory Ford part used from a junkyard 9" will be the bare housing (NOT the centersection)...and that will need a backbrace welded onto it.

I was not concerned w/ weight or the fact that 9" parts are available at wal-mart practically. I just wanted something strong and the best bang for my buck at the time.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 12:10 AM

IMO...

In a race car, 9". Gear selection, hard core parts availability, aluminum case (weight), ability to keep the 4 link narrow and weld brackets and braces where ever they need to go, able to have multiple/spare centers ready, easy to work on.

Street/strip. Danas are ok. Cost less, weight not so much an issue, reliable and strong, and you're more likely to install it and forget it in that application.

I would put a Dana in a street car. A race car? 9". Some people like vanilla, some like chocolate. Pick your flavor.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 12:13 AM

If you aren't in a big hurry keep your eyes up for a good deal on either one. Dr Differential had a good price on new Dana 60's. I found a used 9" with very good axles, spool, aluminum housing, 4:30 pro gear and 2 complete sets of strange brakes for 500 dollars. I may never use it but the price was to good to pass up. I have a 9" in the Daytona, a dana in my Duster, and a 9" in my new small tire car.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 12:25 AM

Dana 60 with a Power Lock. Install it and forget about it.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 12:35 AM

I like the Dana 60 for a lot of reasons (Strength, Cost) and I like the Ford for the sealed wheel bearings (packing and adjusting tapered roller bearings is not all that much fun )and the ease of changing ratios. Now I have the best of both worlds in the racer, Dana 60 case, Dr. Diff Spool, 4.10 gears, 35 spline Dutchman axles, Ford "Torino" wheel bearings, Ford 11" Drum brakes, 1350 Forged Pinion Yoke....assemble and forget it

I built a similar Dana 60-2 for the tow vehicle, narrowed 6" on left axle tube & shaft only, resplined (1) stock 35 spline axle, PowerLock carrier with 4.10 gears, stock 12" Jeep Drum brakes and new Forged 1310 Pinion Yolk. This will go under the '87 D100 daily driver that came to me with 16" aftermarket wheels (matching the Jeep Drums & wheel 5 on 5.5" bolt circle). Now I wish I had used a set of Ford 1/2 truck brakes and "Torino" wheel bearings (it came with the tapered roller bearings same as an 8.75") because I could use this under an A-body with 15" wheels (same width as the truck) A nice geared LSD like a Tru-Trac (sp) would be good , too because then I could forget about using special gear oil (no clutches).

Right now I have about $900.00 in the truck rear (bought yard fresh, rebuilt for $400.00)
and it is worth more than double that to me.

Attached picture 8426472-11-17-14Photos002.JPG
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 01:18 AM

Cost and strength were big factors for me when I built my Dana. Also the ability to reuse my current brakes helped as well.

I bought a junkyard F250 D60, 4.10's with a powerlok. I could have reused the stock parts and changed the side gears to 35 spline. Instead I went new and spent a few extra bucks, but it was worth it to me. I could resell the powerlock and gears I bet if I tried.

I have $1100 invested, Housing, billet housing ends, ring and pinion, axles, narrowing, set up kit, forged yoke etc. I sold my 8.75 for $650 making the total investment $450 for a rearend I haven't worried about for a minute since installing 4 years and 1000 drag strip passes ago.

My new ride has a 9", but it came with the purchase of the truck, and it is nice knowing if I need to change gears its going to be a quick project unlike the dana.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 01:36 AM

Here's something that no one ever mentions: The 9" pinion support. While it adds strength to the gear mesh, it takes up valuable room and forces design compromises in the limited slip. For that reason the 9" is much better suited to using either a spool or original type Detroit Locker. Those point towards strip use.

The 60, on the other hand, depends on the stiffness of the pinion shaft to keep the gears meshed. But there is plenty of room for a limited slip of about any configuration. This points towards street applications.

As far as weight goes, I don't think there's that much difference between a race 9" and a race D60. One is physically larger, for sure. That doesn't mean it's heavier when prepped for racing.

As far as limited slips go, the Truetrac has been developed over the last 30 years into a pretty decent unit. That's the direction I'd go in a hot street car, the D60 with Truetrac.

To me, nothing says "serious" like that odd-shaped differential cover. And there is something to be said for tradition, even though it doesn't win races.

R.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 02:35 AM

Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 04:48 AM

For me there is not really a wrong answer here both are good for there own applications with a limited slip a Dana is hard to beat.

My new project will have a 9" because,
A) gear changes are easier
B) lower pinion location so car can sit lower with stock floor
C) gear availabilty
D)lower weight with a alum. case
and as a bonus it will pi$$ off the purists
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 04:52 AM

If you decide on a Ford 9", opt for the 12 bolt center - 3% more efficient.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 05:22 AM

A 9" can be back brace for tube strength..if both
have equal sized tubes.. thats a major plus
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 06:14 AM

Brad, once you see the pinion support spit out on the starting line from a Ford nine inch rear end you will never think of using a Ford type nine or nine and half inch rearend again
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 06:19 AM

9 inch you can get in chromoly housing, aluminum bolt through center sections. You can back brace the housing. Easy gear gear changes, more gear selections. More used at race tracks so replacement parts are more available in a pinch.more support for your pinion so less chance of hurting gears.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 06:21 AM

I put a Strange S-60 under my street/strip Dart five years ago, no issues.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 08:00 AM

As stated above, the pinion support on a stock 9" is not to strong. I have seen many pinions spit out the front of 9" center sections at the track. Of coarse you can buy the new beefed up center with 12 bolts , bolt through bearing cap retainers, back brace the housing, weld on chrome moly housing tubes, or just put in a stock dana to achieve the same results. My Dana has been under my Barracuda for 40 years with thousands of runs , Still running the original bearings. and brakes.
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 03:49 PM

Quote:

As stated above, the pinion support on a stock 9" is not to strong. I have seen many pinions spit out the front of 9" center sections at the track. Of coarse you can buy the new beefed up center with 12 bolts , bolt through bearing cap retainers, back brace the housing, weld on chrome moly housing tubes, or just put in a stock dana to achieve the same results. My Dana has been under my Barracuda for 40 years with thousands of runs , Still running the original bearings. and brakes.

And there you have it folks
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 06:14 PM

WHO RUNS STOCK supports on a race car? answer nobody, there you have it...
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 06:17 PM

Quote:

WHO RUNS STOCK supports on a race car? answer nobody, there you have it...

The ONLY stock part on a 9" you should be using in a hi-perf car is the bare housing, and that needs a backbrace. Get a good nodular iron or aluminum centersection and it will be just as strong, or stronger (and lighter), than a Dana...it just costs a lot more. This is if you're buying everything new of course.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 06:19 PM

I guess that's why all the fast race cars run dana's.

Wait last I checked it was all nine inch rears at the track. There you have it....
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 07:44 PM

Quote:

Wait last I checked it was all nine inch rears at the track. There you have it....

...and SBC's...

But is all seriousness, I will be upgrading my 8 3/4 with a 9" for all the reasons already mentioned
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 08:50 PM

moore and moore has a new narrowed 9 in with axles and other goodies for sale now,all good stuff.jack is a good guy to deal with too....614-302-5858
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 09:07 PM

I think for a 10 or 11 second street/strip car like what you drive (someday... ), it doesn't make a damned bit of difference with respect to ET. Pick one and go with it.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/12/15 10:21 PM

Question Moparts gearheads, what is the difference in pinion centerlines between 8 3/4, Dana 60 and 9" er's?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 06:38 AM

Are we bracket racers or professional racers. Why do you want to change gear sets. If you run low 8ths or faster run the 9 and keep a wad of money ready. The dana, easy set up for 4 to 8 hundred bucks unless you need new parts.Set the gears up right and make sure its straight and it will last for years with no upkeep and one thing less to worry about.Funny, we go to the track and guys are adjusting valves,charging the battery,changing jets,resetting the bars all kind of stupid stuff,why? Don't make it complicated!
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 06:49 AM

Quote:

Brad, once you see the pinion support spit out on the starting line from a Ford nine inch rear end you will never think of using a Ford type nine or nine and half inch rearend again

$100 pinion support keeps that from happening

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 06:51 AM

Quote:

Are we bracket racers or professional racers. Why do you want to change gear sets. If you run low 8ths or faster run the 9 and keep a wad of money ready. The dana, easy set up for 4 to 8 hundred bucks unless you need new parts.Set the gears up right and make sure its straight and it will last for years with no upkeep and one thing less to worry about.Funny, we go to the track and guys are adjusting valves,charging the battery,changing jets,resetting the bars all kind of stupid stuff,why? Don't make it complicated!

I didnt call it stupid stuff.. some times I'd spend
a Saturday and a Sunday just testing the 4-link..
that got me down to a 1.19 60'..and take most of a
day just doing jet changes ... I guess you are satisfied
with anything

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 04:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

with anything

1.19 60' on a street/strip car like the OP is asking about?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

with anything

No its a race car but the person that I quoted isnt
the OP... all I was trying to state was with testing
you can make the car run better and usually more consistent
Posted By: SportF

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 04:46 PM

If all things were equal between the 9" and Dana 60, the 9" with an aluminum center looks better if nothing else.

I am putting a 9" in a 62 Dodge right now, Yukon center. I have another car with a 9" as well. Lots of good opinions here, but looks can play a part as well.

Attached picture 8427970-P7151251.JPG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 05:22 PM

Quote:

I wish!

My junk was in the mid 1.4s the last times at the track.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 05:35 PM

Quote:

Why would I need a wad of money? A properly set up 9 inch is trouble free.

How would I brace a Dana 60 for radials? You know a radial is a dead hooked tire.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 05:45 PM

Let's keep on track as I am interested in this also.
9 second car 3000 to 3400 lbs what would be cheaper to buy not build?
S Dana 60 or 9 inch?
Monty mentioned the pinion support for 100.00
Matt

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 05:57 PM

Quote:

S Dana 60 or 9 inch?
Matt

I built my 9" for the Rampage.. its street/strip..
I have a total of $1100 into it.. that was a complete
new center with a posi(I think its a tru track or
the next step up.. I forget) and new gears and bearings..
$70 for the bearing ends.. I had the 2" X 3" tubing
(back brace) laying around the shop... I also had
all the ladder bar and shock brackets... I did make
the ladder bars and I had all the rod ends.. then
it was my time to shorten it and burn it together..
I had to buy axles and brakes but would have either way
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 06:02 PM

Quote:

S Dana 60 or 9 inch?
Matt

After all of these ideas, I think Dr. diff will be sending me a nodular 8 3/4 3rd member and 35 spline axles and run w/it cos I`m not steppin in the 9`s legally anyhow and have no desire to. Back to street racin and makin $$$$....................

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 06:18 PM

Quote:

S Dana 60 or 9 inch?
Matt

that has been explained many times, depending on how much you can do. there are many cheap parts for the 9 available
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 07:38 PM

I never have understood the Dana vs. 9" deal. It's like women driving SUV's. 40 years ago there wasn't a women in the United States driving a SUV. Then it became chic and now all women want to drive an SUV. 40 years ago there wasn't a 9" in any Mopar in the US. Now it's like a roller cam or a 400 GPH fuel pump, people feel like they won't be socially accepted if they don't have a 9". What a country. It's a Mopar. Put a Dana in it.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 07:58 PM

Quote:

I never have understood the Dana vs. 9" deal. It's like women driving SUV's. 40 years ago there wasn't a women in the United States driving a SUV. Then it became chic and now all women want to drive an SUV. 40 years ago there wasn't a 9" in any Mopar in the US. Now it's like a roller cam or a 400 GPH fuel pump, people feel like they won't be socially accepted if they don't have a 9". What a country. It's a Mopar. Put a Dana in it.

I dont understand the relationship of the mopar and
the dana... yes mopar used them.. along with MANY
other companies... dana wasnt a division of Chrysler
it was just a company that Chrysler BOUGHT rear ends
from
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 08:19 PM

Quote:

Not agreeing or disagreeing with what someone should run, but its the same deal with a 727 too. Used to be great, now its a POS apparently.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 08:29 PM

Quote:

Uh, wrong. We ran a SS/GA Challenger in the early 70s. It had a Ford, as most other fast Super Stock cars did at the time. Jim Kinnett's SS/AA Cuda had a 12 bolt of all things in it back then....Why you may ask. Because he thought the 12 bolt took less power to turn and it was LIGHTER.

RACE cars and STREET cars, are two entirely different things. Running Super Stock, we carried 4 or 5 different centers with different ratios, depending on conditions. Class racers still do the same and few want to lay on their backs swapping gears in and out of a Dana. A street car, or a set it and forget it bracket car, sure, a Dana is a VERY viable choice, as they are strong and rock solid dependable. But just as they are a very GOOD choice for some cars, they are an equally POOR choice for others. Whats poor you ask........the ease of swapping ratios, the weight and the ability to properly brace the tubes. In a hard hooking, high HP car, you WILL bend the tubes and there is basically nothing you can do to fix it, short of building some type elaborate bracing structure. You do that, you have made an inherently heavy assy, that much heavier.

There is no "one size fits all" answer. You pick what is best for YOUR application. But its a MOPAR, so it should have a Dana is about the silliest reason there is for the choice. You pick what WORKS the best.

As far as 727 trans.........the answer is the same. You pick what WORKS. Nobody says the 727 is a pos, but in certain applications, there are better choices, as far as ratios and aftermarket parts. There are NO aftermarket cases for a 727. So you must run a shield or a blanket......that's a strike. The engine to pump bellhousing depth is shallow, that means the BEST converters cores won't fit without a spacer......that's a strike. Very limited ratio options.....that's a strike. Heaviest of the 3 speeds.......that's a strike. So nobody ahs ever said the 727 is a pos, it's just in certain applications, it is FAR from the best choice, regardless of the brand of the car and engine combo. Brand loyalty is great, but not at the expense of maximizing your combo..........if that is your goal.

We have dozens of companies who make front end kits to eliminate the torsion bars. Where is the outrage of the "purists" over that. Torsion bars are about as MOPAR as you get, yet that change is accepted......why? because it is BETTER. It is a more modern suspension and steering system, gives you better parts choices and frees up room for better pans and headers. Simply put, it is BETTER

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 09:30 PM

I beg to differ on the weights of a 727 versus a TH400 or Ford C6, three drums versus two 904 parts in many, many SS race car trans Monte, I'm only trying to keep it true and honest
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 10:25 PM

I have run 8 3/4 then a 9" then a Dana and I only have a Dana in the car now because it looks cool
I prefer the ease of service with a 9" though and the better selection of gears.
Gus

Attached picture 8428208-Dana60.jpg
Posted By: Eric

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 10:46 PM

I have a Dana in the Arrow...probably the only part I have'nt broke yet.. ...now I jinxed myself.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 11:05 PM

I have a Dana under my car. Sold the center section from the 8 3/4 and used the brakes from it. If I was the op I would get my engine up and running first then select a rear.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 11:13 PM

Quote:

I beg to differ on the weights of a 727 versus a TH400 or Ford C6, three drums versus two 904 parts in many, many SS race car trans Monte, I'm only trying to keep it true and honest

All I know, is that our fully race prepped 400 in a Reid case, weighs 5lbs more than the fully prepped, Reid cased powerglide it replaced. Both are CONSIDERABLY lighter than the fully raced prepped, alum drum 727, with CSI shield, that I still have from my own car. Yep, 904 stuff can be light, but that is usually in lower power, or small block, lightweight Comp eliminator cars, that those combinations live. Put it behind big block power and see how it lasts.

Again, it is about what is BEST for the application. You can't compare apples to zebras..........LOL!!!

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/13/15 11:15 PM

I put the 9" in the Rampage because it was for DW and
at first I thought about changing rear gears for the
daily drive.. easy drop out the center and put a road
gear in.. then I changed my mine for the 518 OD.. so
glad I did... but the 9" will be under it with a 4.10
gear for now... I might make a gear change later
EDIT
For the Mopar purist.. the 8 3/4 IS a true mopar rear
end.. designed and made in a Chrysler plant.. as
was some of the smaller rears with the stamped housing

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

with anything

Mr.P, it all depends on what you have in mind. On race day you better be ready to win not sorting out your car or you're first round snacks. Ever hear of a professional athlete say on game day"i'm going to hit or catch the ball a new way today or a golfer say i'm trying a new swing"? No, they are ready with what they know works. Sorting is for test and tune day unless all you want to do is profile, "oh look at me i can do 1.10 60s or i can run 8.90s". don't matter but what's dialed on the windshield, its a a bracket race-try to win or profile. The op said street-strip car = Cheap Dana with a 4.10 and STOCK parts, only thing ya need is a spool.
Don't need a wad of money? How many "free" center sections with all those high dollar parts in them you got laying around so you can try a few today?
Now the guy with the radials, how big are they-8-9-10 inch? If you weld the tubs to the center housing you will not twist a 1/4 thick-3 inch diam. tube that's maybe 16 inches long, now for flex forward a simple cm tube brace on the FRONT that weighs maybe 5 lbs will take care of that. If and when you put the 1800 hp engine up front and get a tube chassis then by all means put the high dollar 9 inch rear in it. I have to agree with Monte for once, its all about application, application, application.
I guess that covered all three

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 02:14 AM

I go on race day to race... but I have used a race
day to strictly test because of the conditions of
the track but I was still entered to race... on the
tubes...
you dont twist them you bend them... most times you
will bend them from the leaf spring mount outward and
you bend them forward... happens a LOT

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 02:37 AM

A Dana or any rear under a small tire radial car will be fairly long. The leaf pads or even the ladder bar bracket will also be spaced out pretty far. Outside of these points is where a hard leaving radial car WILL bend the tubes. So the "brace" described above will also be pretty long, not have enough angle to be much support and will also need some type bracket welded onto the center case itself. These "forces" pushing on the center case are definitely not ideal, plus it will take a serious piece of chromoly tubing not to flex in this same application. So that leaves you with building some type of "truss", which gets heavy quick. This is not speculation on my part, but spoken from experience, as I have tried to "fix" this issue on some small tire cars with Danas. So as good as a Dana can be, this is just one of the applications where there are MUCH better choices.

Radial cars bend or break EVERYTHING. We had a very well braced sheetmetal housing under our car at one time, but it was mild steel. We bent it several times, when the car was 60 footing in the high teens. We had to upgrade to a moly housing with .250 wall moly tubes and some serious backbracing to fix it. Basically a Pro-Mod housing is what we built. You just can't properly brace a Dana axle tube to stop this without adding a LOT of weight and in my own attempts, even that doesn't work.

Some think I am always "hating" on Danas and 727s, because I suggest other options to many. That is FAR from the truth. I just happen to think there are better choices than those for certain applications. Now personally, I would NOT put a Dana in any car I owned, but that is personal preference and has no bearing on how good of a rear I think it is. For most on this board, it is a fine choice and you likely won't de disappointed with your choice.

Monte
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 02:55 AM

Sorry I did not read all this. But here is my For the original poster and question in a street strip deal the big drawback to a Dana is gear selection. There simply is not as much available. But for this intended application I cannot imagine that is an issue. They also weigh a bit more being that they are a cast housing deal.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 03:55 AM

If this was anything other than a Mopar board, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Unless it's a killer, run what ever your budget dictates.

Know why i'm going to run a 9inch? Because if you know where to look, you can score a rear from a Lincoln Versailles for cheap, and they already come with disc brakes.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 04:13 AM

You don't really want the Lincoln Versailles rear brakes. I used a Versailles housing in my car but the brakes are almost as expensive as a Strange setup after you rebuild everything. The rotors are directional and cost about $135 each and the calipers are really heavy and I doubt if you can even get them in a remanufactured form anymore.
The housing also uses weird bearings too.
Gus

Attached picture 8428544-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 04:14 AM

How many street/strip cars have you seen that will bend a Dana? Besides that There are few tracks in my area that a radial will dead hook on. Holly Springs? Yes, hell you could make a bicycle with a big block hook there. I will agree. application, application.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 04:37 AM

Quote:

You don't really want the Lincoln Versailles rear brakes. I used a Versailles housing in my car but the brakes are almost as expensive as a Strange setup after you rebuild everything. The rotors are directional and cost about $135 each and the calipers are really heavy and I doubt if you can even get them in a remanufactured form anymore.
The housing also uses weird bearings too.
Gus

Well that a kick in he pants! Good thing I haven't bought anything yet.
Damn fords I knew it was to good to be true!
Thanks for the info

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 05:02 AM

Quote:

How many street/strip cars have you seen that will bend a Dana? Besides that There are few tracks in my area that a radial will dead hook on. Holly Springs? Yes, hell you could make a bicycle with a big block hook there. I will agree. application, application.

A radial is hooked, or it's not. There is no in between regardless of the track.

As far as what street/strip car will bend a housing.........you would be surprised. MOST housings under even moderately powered cars are bent now. Don't believe it...........narrow a few with a jig and you will know. I could always tell when I bent my own........the car got harder to push than normal

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 05:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

with anything

Mr.P, it all depends on what you have in mind. On race day you better be ready to win not sorting out your car or you're first round snacks. Ever hear of a professional athlete say on game day"i'm going to hit or catch the ball a new way today or a golfer say i'm trying a new swing"? No, they are ready with what they know works. Sorting is for test and tune day unless all you want to do is profile, "oh look at me i can do 1.10 60s or i can run 8.90s". don't matter but what's dialed on the windshield, its a a bracket race-try to win or profile. The op said street-strip car = Cheap Dana with a 4.10 and STOCK parts, only thing ya need is a spool.
Don't need a wad of money? How many "free" center sections with all those high dollar parts in them you got laying around so you can try a few today?
Now the guy with the radials, how big are they-8-9-10 inch? If you weld the tubs to the center housing you will not twist a 1/4 thick-3 inch diam. tube that's maybe 16 inches long, now for flex forward a simple cm tube brace on the FRONT that weighs maybe 5 lbs will take care of that. If and when you put the 1800 hp engine up front and get a tube chassis then by all means put the high dollar 9 inch rear in it. I have to agree with Monte for once, its all about application, application, application.
I guess that covered all three

Last I checked there are no "free" a body danas around. But by all means if any Mopar purist wants to give me a a-body Dana 60 for free I will gladly take it. Lol I would need to figure out how to brace it or I would just bend it. I keep bending the axle in the car.

At my power level I would need all aftermarket parts in a Dana so why not go with a lighter rear and make my car faster? Isn't this what we are looking for? To maximize the performance of our cars. I run 10 inch rims with a 275/60 radial and leaf springs so my axle is 46 inches wide. I have torn off leaf spring mounts also and have them boxed in now.

My car is also street legal and is driven on the street, exactly as it is driven on the track.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 05:13 AM

Quote:

A radial is hooked, or it's not. There is no in between regardless of the track.

As far as what street/strip car will bend a housing.........you would be surprised. MOST housings under even moderately powered cars are bent now. Don't believe it...........narrow a few with a jig and you will know. I could always tell when I bent my own........the car got harder to push than normal

Monte

My Duster was a lot easier to push after having a Dana 60 truck housing narrowed down to fit it to replace the 8 3/4 that I had bent the crap out of on the street , way easier to push
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 05:39 AM

My brother just shelled out for a new S-60 housing under his Drag Week 6.0 cert 70 AMX. His reasoning was that he intends to run street gears, and none are available for the big pinion 9 inch. We will see how it works out, 572 Hemi and a Bruno/Lenco. I just run the small pinion street gears in my 9", with a relatively cheap s-case.

Attached picture 8428604-IMG_0974.PNG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 06:36 AM

Quote:

My brother just shelled out for a new S-60 housing under his Drag Week 6.0 cert 70 AMX. His reasoning was that he intends to run street gears, and none are available for the big pinion 9 inch. We will see how it works out, 572 Hemi and a Bruno/Lenco. I just run the small pinion street gears in my 9", with a relatively cheap s-case.

Bad move in my opinion, but maybe it will work out for him.............Pro gears are fine on the street by the way.........LOL!!! That's what every other big tire car on Drag Week uses. Haven't heard of anyone eating a gear yet

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 06:46 AM

I know my Dana housing is slightly bent and I don't have big horsepower but it does hook pretty well on a good pad
Monte do you know why radials don't hook very well with a stick car but they seem to do o.k. with a trans brake
Gus

Attached picture 8428645-5434258-READY2.JPG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 07:05 AM

Quote:

As far as what street/strip car will bend a housing.........you would be surprised. MOST housings under even moderately powered cars are bent now.

Yeah, it wouldn't shock me to find out my braced 8.75" isn't straight any more, even with my slow ride.

Even though the discussion veered a bit off course from my original questions, this has still been an informative thread.
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 03:03 PM

We were at EB&A last year and mike had his factory built "drag pack" challenger on the lift.
Looky, looky, a ford 9 inch under the car!

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 03:29 PM

Last I checked there are no "free" a body danas around. But by all means if any Mopar purist wants to give me a a-body Dana 60 for free I will gladly take it. Lol I would need to figure out how to brace it or I would just bend it. I keep bending the axle in the car.

At my power level I would need all aftermarket parts in a Dana so why not go with a lighter rear and make my car faster? Isn't this what we are looking for? To maximize the performance of our cars. I run 10 inch rims with a 275/60 radial and leaf springs so my axle is 46 inches wide. I have torn off leaf spring mounts also and have them boxed in now.

My car is also street legal and is driven on the street, exactly as it is driven on the track.

This is the info I'm looking for.

Can I ask what is in your rear to make things work!

I mean housing, what kind, where you got it and centre section.
Thx Matt

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 04:08 PM

Quote:

Thx Matt

I still have a 8 3/4 rear in my car. I have put it on the jig twice now to straighten it out, I am sure it needs to be done again. I have mark Williams caps on a factory 489 case. I run a light weight moser 35 spline spool and moser gun drilled and star flanged axles. I have a billet mark Williams 1350 yoke on it. It currently has us gears in it. I have broken gears, sheared all the ring gear bolts off, bent the axle, but all of that has been over the 15 yrs I have raced my car. I need to put a nine inch in my car, but I keep spending money else where, like fixing the damage from the wheelie. Someday it will have a moser chromoly nine housing with aluminum center section in it, and I won't have to say a prayer every time I hit the burnout box asking for just one more pass!
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 05:06 PM

Quote:

Bad move in my opinion, but maybe it will work out for him.............Pro gears are fine on the street by the way.........LOL!!! That's what every other big tire car on Drag Week uses. Haven't heard of anyone eating a gear yet
Monte

Actually questioned Pro gear users on Drag Week, and were told they eat them up on a regular basis, like one set every 2500 miles! If you know of guys doing better I'd love to know how they are setting them up, and what lube they are running.

Below pic is of Larry swapping gears on Drag Week 2012 in Memphis.

BTW, I would've chosen a nine for this build, but his thinking was that he was determined to use a street gear, and the 60 has the largest ring gear, so it will take more abuse, we will see how it works out.

Attached picture 8428838-IMG_2218.JPG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Actually questioned Pro gear users on Drag Week, and were told they eat them up on a regular basis, like one set every 2500 miles! If you know of guys doing better I'd love to know how they are setting them up, and what lube they are running.

I remember Larry changing out that rear.. if I recall
that was the only time he did change gears(when I
was just talking with him later during clean up)
Posted By: markz528

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 08:01 PM

Quote:

Actually questioned Pro gear users on Drag Week, and were told they eat them up on a regular basis, like one set every 2500 miles!

Actually if all that was available was a pro gear, and you really wanted to run them on the street, you could send them out to get them surface hardened. You mask the root and harden the teeth.

Years ago I went the other way. Took a set of street gears and softened them. Never broke those and they ran a long time in my drag car. A pro gear was not available in those days in the gear I wanted. The street gears would crack in the roots.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 08:12 PM

I went with the Dana 60 just cause of the cool diff covers.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

BTW, I would've chosen a nine for this build, but his thinking was that he was determined to use a street gear, and the 60 has the largest ring gear, so it will take more abuse, we will see how it works out.

I know the guys in the Vette have never hurt a gear in it or the 55. Larry told me that gear he broke had been in the car for years. Lutz says he doesn't hurt gears........so who knows.

Me personally, I would sacrifice the occasional gear set for the use of the Ford rear. I just think the Dana housing, although this one will be short, is a very poor choice for THAT type car. You just CAN'T brace the housing and though short, that car WILL bend it. I don't care what you do to it out past the brackets, your gonna bend it

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/14/15 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I know the guys in the Vette have never hurt a gear in it or the 55. Larry told me that gear he broke had been in the car for years. Lutz says he doesn't hurt gears........so who knows.

Me personally, I would sacrifice the occasional gear set for the use of the Ford rear. I just think the Dana housing, although this one will be short, is a very poor choice for THAT type car. You just CAN'T brace the housing and though short, that car WILL bend it. I don't care what you do to it out past the brackets, your gonna bend it

Monte

Thats why the brace I make goes right to the bearing..
both on my 9" and the 8 3/4
Posted By: ccarson

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 12:43 AM

Unless I had a slow read 10.99 or slower street strip car and the
Dana was something I already owned and was set up for the car laying on the floor in front of me I certainly wouldn't spend money on a Dana 60; if its some kind of resto show or street car maybe.

If its a clean slate race car there is no way I would put anything but a 9" style rear under a Race car of any sort.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 01:04 AM

I didn't realize how expensive 9" er's have gotten. Sheez..
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 03:43 AM

Dana 60 all the way for your car Brad. What gear are you going to run? Only question if it was me would be Trac Loc or TrueTrac.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 03:59 AM

Quote:

Dana 60 all the way for your car Brad. What gear are you going to run? Only question if it was me would be Trac Loc or TrueTrac.

Why not just run a spool? Lighter and 100% lockup all the time.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thx Matt

I still have a 8 3/4 rear in my car. I have put it on the jig twice now to straighten it out, I am sure it needs to be done again. I have mark Williams caps on a factory 489 case. I run a light weight moser 35 spline spool and moser gun drilled and star flanged axles. I have a billet mark Williams 1350 yoke on it. It currently has us gears in it. I have broken gears, sheared all the ring gear bolts off, bent the axle, but all of that has been over the 15 yrs I have raced my car. I need to put a nine inch in my car, but I keep spending money else where, like fixing the damage from the wheelie. Someday it will have a moser chromoly nine housing with aluminum center section in it, and I won't have to say a prayer every time I hit the burnout box asking for just one more pass!

Moser site is only showing a 9 rear with chromoly tubes with the floating ends.
Is this the one?
If so is seems a little over kill or I'm I wrong?
Not trying to
Matt

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 04:19 PM

Quote:

I still have a 8 3/4 rear in my car. I have put it on the jig twice now to straighten it out, I am sure it needs to be done again. I have mark Williams caps on a factory 489 case. I run a light weight moser 35 spline spool and moser gun drilled and star flanged axles. I have a billet mark Williams 1350 yoke on it. It currently has us gears in it. I have broken gears, sheared all the ring gear bolts off, bent the axle...

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 04:34 PM

Quote:

Actually considering a Detroit Locker more seriously than a TrueTrac. I'm finding mixed reviews of using a TrueTrac in drag applications, but I really don't know much else about them. If someone can provide more info on how well a TrueTrac does on the strip, I'm interested.

The specifics for my junk (not covered previously in this thread) are...
- 3750+ # E-body w/ driver
- 727 w/ 4500-flash 9" converter
- Stock-stroke modified 440
- 275/60R15s DOT Drag Radials

The 8.75" I have now has...
- OEM 742 case
- 4.10s (which is the ratio I'd stick with)
- Power-Lok (clutch-type) diff carrier
- MW billet caps
- Cheap back-brace on housing (too narrow to probably do much good)

Street car w/ best pass of 10.52 at 126+ (6.6_ at 102 in 1/8th) w/ a 1.45 60-ft. I know it pulls the wheels 4+" according to friends who watched the car launch, but nobody ever bothered to provide me photographic evidence.

The new engine should make another 40+ HP, so I'm expecting to be in the lower 10s w/ the rest of the combination (converter, gearing, etc.) staying the same.

Strictly from a budget perspective, the Dana 60 appears to be the more affordable.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually considering at a Detroit Locker more seriously than a TrueTrac. I'm finding mixed reviews of using a TrueTrac in drag applications, but I really don't know much else about them.

- OEM 742 case
- MW billet caps

Street car w/ best pass of 10.52 at 126+ (6.6_ at 102 in 1/8th) w/ a 1.45 60-ft. I know it pulls the wheels 4+" according to friends who watched the car launch, but nobody ever bothered to provide me photographic evidence.

The new engine should make another 40+ HP, so I'm expecting to be in the lower 10s w/ the rest of the combination (converter, gearing, etc.) staying the same.

Strictly from a budget perspective, the Dana 60 appears to be the more affordable.

Don't know if this was mentioned before but the Dana S60 will allow you to change gears without spreading the case.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 04:38 PM

No point here

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 04:50 PM

Maybe "no point", but some serious factor...

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 06:58 PM

Quote:

Don't know if this was mentioned before but the Dana S60 will allow you to change gears without spreading the case.

Yeah, I saw that while researching the options.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 07:01 PM

Quote:

Maybe "no point", but some serious factor...

Sorta like hitting a nail with a 20 ton hammer

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 07:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm starting to think that the only way a Dana is cheaper is the one you build yourself?
My time =$$$$$ so i would like to know what type of upgrades to a 9 that would survive a 3000 to 3400 car running 9 flat that is 90% street driven and 10% raced.
Would you bend the Dana with the above power?
Matt

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 07:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Brad I just re-read your original post and you mentioned you wanted to re-use your current brakes so that makes the choice very simple. I would search for an older Power-Lock and rebuild it with the later style 35 spline side gear kit unless you are lucky enough to find one with 35 spline gears.
Cass(doctordiff) will set you up with a housing and axles very reasonably priced. I would send him the Power-lock and have him set the gears up and be done with it
I went from a 9" to a Dana and I'm satisfied that it's the right rear for my high 10 second ride with a stickshift tranny.

Gus

Attached picture 8430018-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 07:47 PM

Give Cass a call and see what he has to say on the limited slip. I have a S60 from Cass under my '72 Duster with a Detroit Locker in it but that car just get pushed around the shop so I don't know how it drives on the street. You might find out before me.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 08:02 PM

This topic is amusing. Similar to the last post on this I am waiting for someone with experience to quote a price on a 9" or 9.5" rear with the back brace, axles, yoke, etc ready to install with a carrier that will live in a high 9-low 10 door car and still be okay on the street. When I talked to Dr. Diff about this he was adamant that the Dana 60 was a better deal due to the stronger/larger power lock internals. If I could find a reputable place to quote me on a Ford 9" it would be a consideration. Instead the guy with the good reputation is telling me different. And don't just tell me to "call a competent fab shop" because I'm not playing that game. That is how I ended up with all of the other junk that doesn't work right.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 08:08 PM

Quote:

This topic is amusing. Similar to the last post on this I am waiting for someone with experience to quote a price on a 9" or 9.5" rear with the back brace, axles, yoke, etc ready to install with a carrier that will live in a high 9-low 10 door car and still be okay on the street. When I talked to Dr. Diff about this he was adamant that the Dana 60 was a better deal due to the stronger/larger power lock internals. If I could find a reputable place to quote me on a Ford 9" it would be a consideration. Instead the guy with the good reputation is telling me different. And don't just tell me to "call a competent fab shop" because I'm not playing that game. That is how I ended up with all of the other junk that doesn't work right.

I already quoted the price I paid for the center..
I did all the rest of the work to shorten the housing
and added the back brace... this was to do a 9" and
its in a 10.0 type car thats driven on the street
EDIT
and thats with a posi unit.. a spool would have been
much cheaper(and I have driven a spool on the street)
but I went with the posi

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 08:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually considering at a Detroit Locker more seriously than a TrueTrac. I'm finding mixed reviews of using a TrueTrac in drag applications, but I really don't know much else about them.

- OEM 742 case
- MW billet caps

That is significant advantage to the S60. I have a case spreader, but have never used it, I always got lucky with gear changes, though they took a lot of trial and error.

Now the Tru-Trac (worm geared LSD) is great on the street (transparent and no special lube), but the Detroit Locker would be better for your horsepower level, I think. Skip the spool as it will wear out your street tires and is best for strip only cars...when you get there (trailered, strip only) go with the spool and sell the Detroit Locker to some wanna-be that will more than cover the cost of a new spool

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 08:37 PM

Quote:

Call Currie or Moser and see what price they quote you The last comparision price I saw a long time ago in a magazine about this same debate was a Dana 60 was betwen $300.00 to $1200.00 less than the same equipted Ford nine inch type rear end, that was with no Ford parts in it, all aftermarket H.D or race parts The lastest quote I have heard of for a all out race chrome moly housing fully prep with all the mounts for a drag car was $2500.00 It ended up cracking and leaking after several races from tire shake, they had to have it welded up to repair it As far as all the race cars using nine inch type rear ends that sort of displaces the old adage about not being able to fol all the people all the time, huh I seem to remember the early Olds and Pontiac rear ends being the hot set up for drag rear ends back in the 1960 and early 1970s, before the Chrismans made up all the media hype about the Ford nine inch being so good How about we put this post to bed now I know that won't happen, will it

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 08:53 PM

Every time this discussion starts, the first thing guys start harping on, is the fact that a Ford will cost "twice" as much and that is simply NOT true. They will always conveniently compare prices of a junkyard Dana to a Mark Williams Ford or some such nonsense. The bottom line, is that done correctly, the Ford should cost you MAYBE a couple hundred bucks more.

So brakes, axles, spools, lockers, gears, bearings, etc are a wash. They all cost the same, regardless of the rear you choose. So that leaves any price difference in the housing and center section itself. If you are junkyard scrounging, a truck Dana will likely cost you a little more than a cheapo 9" housing. You will need then both narrowed, a back brace on the Ford and new ends for the Dana. Probably a wash in the end. If you DID find a pass car Dana, you would likely pay high..............So lets move to the aftermarket. If you get an S-60 or something similar, that bare housing WILL cost you more than a backbraced Ford housing from Moser, Currie, etc. Then on the center itself, guys look up a complete center from Mark Williams and see it can cost over two grand. Yep, it sure can, but that is not what you NEED. You can buy a nodular iron center for around $300 if you shop around. A decent pinion support for about a $100. So you have approx. $400 in the Ford center with no internals. We look back at the S-60 housing, that cost a couple hundred more than the Currie(or whatever) housing and there is your couple hundred bucks more to build the Ford. HARDLY double as many claim.

Brad has brakes and wants to use them.........not a problem. Mopar ends on the Ford or two new caliper brackets. Problem solved.

As already pointed out, even fairly low powered cars can bend housings, so if you go the Dana route you are going to have try and do something to brace up the housing = added cost. Everybody already knows that back bracing a Ford is a must, which is true, but they look at the Dana......it's big, it's beefy, which is all true, but mistakenly think it's bullet proof because it's big. But that is the CENTER, NOT the tubes. I don't care if it is a truck rear with .250 wall tubes. If the car in question NEEDS a backbraced Ford housing. that SAME car WILL bend a Dana.......period.

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 08:55 PM

In case you all still have not had enough of this topic and live in the Northwest, you can have this man build you a housing for your 9"

http://scribnerwelding.com/

His stuff looks like jewelry and is priced like it too. Of course this is only for the housing, gears, carrier, axles, bearings, brakes are extra

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Call Currie or Moser and see what price they quote you The last comparision price I saw a long time ago in a magazine about this same debate was a Dana 60 was betwen $300.00 to $1200.00 less than the same equipted Ford nine inch type rear end, that was with no Ford parts in it, all aftermarket H.D or race parts The lastest quote I have heard of for a all out race chrome moly housing fully prep with all the mounts for a drag car was $2500.00 It ended up cracking and leaking after several races from tire shake, they had to have it welded up to repair it As far as all the race cars using nine inch type rear ends that sort of displaces the old adage about not being able to fol all the people all the time, huh I seem to remember the early Olds and Pontiac rear ends being the hot set up for drag rear ends back in the 1960 and early 1970s, before the Chrismans made up all the media hype about the Ford nine inch being so good How about we put this post to bed now I know that won't happen, will it

Is there an actual point in the midst of that rambling and graemlins. If it was, I missed it..............Prime example of misinformation right here. Comparing a $2500 sheetmetal pro-mod housing to a junkyard Dana. Doubt the OP needs a Pro-Mod housing, so that little tidbit of information is totally irrelevant to this thread. And if his car DID need a Pro-Mod housing and you think an S-60 or Junkyard Dana would be as good...............well, I want some of what you are smoking.....LOL!!!

Now, will serious tire shake break a super high dollar sheetmetal housing.......you bet your azz it will. It will break any and Everything, so that is a useless point to make as well, when we are dealing with a thread for a rear for a 9 or 10 sec car.

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 09:14 PM

Hell, I think I'll sell my S-60 and buy one of those cheap 9" rears. Apparently they've came down in price a bunch since I bought my S-60. I have now learned that Dana's are junk unless you run Prius power . Apparently the longer these posts go the stronger the 9" gets, I'm surprised that dump trucks and semi's aren't using. Just look at all the money they could save over those monster Eaton's.

Why don't we have a sticky for this, it could be a one liner. Dana's are weak heavy junk, buy a cheap 9", it'll live forever.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 09:20 PM

Quote:

Hell, I think I'll sell my S-60 and buy one of those cheap 9" rears. Apparently they've came down in price a bunch since I bought my S-60. I have now learned that Dana's are junk unless you run Prius power . Apparently the longer these posts go the stronger the 9" gets, I'm surprised that dump trucks and semi's aren't using. Just look at all the money they could save over those monster Eaton's.

Why don't we have a sticky for this, it could be a one liner. Dana's are weak heavy junk, buy a cheap 9", it'll live forever.

Why don't you put that S-60 under a dump truck.

Never fails, the comparisons ALWAYS go to this kind of ridiculous crap, instead of keeping it relevant to the topic at hand. Lets never let facts get in the way of a good loyalty questioning..........LOL!!!

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 09:31 PM

Quote:

Unbelievable. I better scrap the Dana out of my Duster too. I'm not an expert on the subject but I don't really think you could go wrong with either in 90% of the applications we use them in. I will say the one in my Daytona is a well built 9" with a strange carrier and I shattered a set of 4.30 gears at Norwalk and it is a pretty light car (2400 pounds) and was only running 8.60's at the time.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 09:43 PM

Quote:

Never fails, the comparisons ALWAYS go to this kind of ridiculous crap, instead of keeping it relevant to the topic at hand. Lets never let facts get in the way of a good loyalty questioning..........LOL!!!

I did ask in my first post to keep it to the facts... but I can't control the weather, either.

One of the problems w/ coming up w/ an apples-to-apples comparison is there are so many options for 9" stuff that I don't know what's adequate (or comparable to an S-60) for the application to price it out.

Also, I really have to approach this as buying a new assembly from a vendor, rather than piecing something together on my own. My time constraints just to get an engine back together, etc., are tight enough as it is.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 09:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why don't you put that S-60 under a dump truck.

Loyalty my a$$! If I ran a high power RACE car it would have a 9.5" in it. A Dana is more than enough for most street/strip cars on here, period. You were the one that stated "evenly fairly low powered cars can bend Dana housings", my car is "fairly low powered". It's been a bunch of 1.38-.40 60' at 3260# and I can push it in the shop with little trouble, if they get hard to push when they're bent as you describe, I doubt mines bent. The OP asked about a rear for a street/strip car. Every car on this board does not need a built to the hilt 9".
Posted By: belvedere383

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 10:07 PM

I went through this same argument with myself when switching from an 8 3/4.

I ended up with a strange housing, Pro HD center section, 35 splines axles and the strange rear brakes. I felt the 9" is more user friendly for what I wanted to accomplish. With the aluminum center and sheetmetal housing it is probably around 25-30 lbs lighter than an S-60.

Here us what I paid.

Strange sheetmetal housing with ends welded on - $525.00
Strange Pro HD center section with a spool, 4.10 gear, and billet yoke - $1245.00
Strange axles with bearings and 5/8 studs - $515.00
Strange rear Brake kit- $580.00

Total - $2865.00

I was quoted somewhere around $2000 for an S-60 with no brakes and a spool.

So all in all I feel like the price point on both of them is right around the same if you compare apples to apples.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did ask in my first post to keep it to the facts... but I can't control the weather, either.

One of the problems w/ coming up w/ an apples-to-apples comparison is there are so many options for 9" stuff that I don't know what's adequate (or comparable to an S-60) for the application to price it out.

Also, I really have to approach this as buying a new assembly from a vendor, rather than piecing something together on my own. My time constraints just to get an engine back together, etc., are tight enough as it is.

Trying to figure out what I need with the ford 9

1 a nodular iron centre section.
2 Pinion support.
3 Back braced housing.
I'm I missing anything?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 10:16 PM

IIRC correctly when I bought my S-60 five years ago a 9" from Strange was around $2250 without brakes. My S-60 directly from Strange was $1845 without brakes.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 10:34 PM

Quote:

I ended up with a strange housing, Pro HD center section, 35 splines axles and the strange rear brakes. I felt the 9" is more user friendly for what I wanted to accomplish. With the aluminum center and sheetmetal housing it is probably around 25-30 lbs lighter than an S-60.

Here us what I paid.

Strange Pro HD center section with a spool, 4.10 gear, and billet yoke - $1245.00

Total - $2865.00

So all in all I feel like the price point on both of them is right around the same if you compare apples to apples.

Here you go, right here. These are legit prices if you do NOTHING yourself, other than pick up the phone, for a rear that would likely be good to the 8 sec range. He also included the price of what the Dana was going to cost still needing brakes. And it appears, that the costs will be within a couple hundred bucks or less. But I feel certain someone will be along shortly to point out that they built one for 6 dollars and change.

But as always..........the bottom line here is choose what you WANT and what works for YOU. In the end, me nor anybody else here should care what rear you decide to use, after all it's your car. My only point is in trying to point out what some REAL WORLD pros and cons are, without all the "hype" that always appears in these type threads. So if you are a Mopar parts or die kinda guy............that's fine, follow that path, but why condemn the ones who choose NOT to follow that thinking.

Brad asked for simple pros/cons.............not a philosophical debate. Guys always feel the need to defend their choice, instead of simply answering the question

Monte
Posted By: belvedere383

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 10:55 PM

For what its worth when i ordered the rear I asked many questions about longevity and the strength in both the 9" and the s-60. I was told that while the S-60 is a very good rear, it is hindered by the factory style cast pinion support, whereas the 9" with it's removable center section is available to all types of improvements.

Also because of the pinion sitting deeper in the 9" pretty much both Strange and Moser assured me that there was no comparison of strength when comparing an aftermarket case 9" to a Dana.

really what it cam down to for me is that I don't like working on Dana's at all. The 9" is basically just like the 8 3/4 in overall design and since I was familiar with that and like the way you can set the center section up and the put it in the car it was favorable for what I wanted.

Either way unless you have a way to shorten the housing on the cheap I think you will spend in the ballpark of what a new unit costs.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/15/15 11:50 PM

When I made the swap from 8 3/4" to 9" I found a junkyard 9" from a Lincoln Versailles for $50.I scrapped the brakes,axles,and complete carrier,the only part I used was the housing.I bought the 33 spline Moser axle spool deal for $550 and got a factory "N" nodular housing from a friend for $150. I got the Summit brand 4.56 gears for somewhere around $160,Jeg's had the best deal on a setup kit with a "Daytona" pinion support for around $280.For brakes I used a "stock car" type deal with weld-on caliper brackets,GM calipers and Jeep rotors with Russell lines for about $160 in the whole brake system.Final touch was a used Moser billet yoke for $50. I did all the welding and setup myself but if I were to charge someone to do this I wouldn't do it for less than $400.
So we have an $1800 9" that will take the beating of a 3500# stick shift 11 second bracket car. I didn't backbrace the housing because the Lincoln housing is quite beefy when compared to a standard pass car housing.
So I'm pitted next to my buddy with 67 Camaro running low tens with a Dana plucked from a 66 Plymouth and he wants to trade his Dana for my 9" even up Both 4.56 gears and spools,but the Dana still had drums on it.So I said "what the hell lets do it" That was about 10 years ago and I know the housing is bent because the axles don't go in as easy as they once did
So all I had to do was bolt the Dana in and bleed the brakes but I had to pretty much build the 9" from mostly aftermarket parts
I like them both but for ease of service the 9" gets the nod

Gus

Attached picture 8430330-mysavoy.jpg
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 12:10 AM

What is considered to be enough HP to bend the Dana 60 ? Is this equally true for narrowed rears with the ladder bar brackets welded to the center section?
Hard for me to imagine bending this rear with the short and heavy wall truck tubes.

Mark

Attached picture 8430348-HPIM3375.JPG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 12:16 AM

Quote:

What is considered to be enough HP to bend the Dana 60 ? Is this equally true for narrowed rears with the ladder bar brackets welded to the center section?
Hard for me to imagine bending this rear with the short and heavy wall truck tubes.

Mark

Your heavy walls tubes are a help... but the distance
from the ladder bar or 4 link mounts to the end is the
important part.. thats the reason I back brace right
out to the outer bearings

Attached picture 8430353-DSC00042.JPG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 01:05 AM

Moser site is only showing a 9 rear with chromoly tubes with the floating ends.
Is this the one?
If so is seems a little over kill or I'm I wrong?
Not trying to
Matt

No they make one with normal ends.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 01:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2 Pinion support.
3 Back braced housing.
I'm I missing anything?

I have a strange iron nodular housing with big pinion support, Lenco Billet locker 4.10 gears brand new. probably one of the best street/strip set ups around. the Billet locker is over $800 bucks by it's self. I will make you a heck of a deal and maybe work out a trade for you rockers

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cab that's the biggest bunch of bull I have ever read on one of these debates.
Posted By: keefe

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 02:48 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it's been covered differently on other posts over time, but I'd like to hear specifically WHY people prefer the Dana 60 (or modern replacement) vs. the current Ford-type 9" differential for a stout street/strip application.

Just checked out Strange's web site and they do offer both as bolt-in assemblies for an E-body, but I didn't dig deep enough to start coming up w/ $$$ differences, or whether things like my current 8.75" drum brakes can be swapped directly to a 9" assembly, etc.

I'm not prejudiced against either, since I like the drop-out centersection design of my 8.75", and my ol' A12 Road Runner had the factory-installed Dana 60 backing up its 4-speed. I'm looking for legit stuff, not a bunch of subjective "You wouldn't put a FORD rear under your MOPAR, would ya'?" type comments, or whatever comparable would apply to a Dana.

So, please tell me the pros & cons of each. At some point I know The MoPig is going to need something better than my 8.75", so I might as well start asking now.

Brad FWIW I bought a S60 from Cass (Dr.Diff)last year great guy and great service.
It was about $600 cheaper then the 9inch at the time.
I think it will be all I need.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cab that's the biggest bunch of bull I have ever read on one of these debates.

BradH, please show or tell me where the Bull is

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 05:35 AM

That wasn't me replying, Cab.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 05:40 AM

The focus of this thread started as a comparison between a Dana 60 and 9" for a high torque STREET/STRIP application.

These are actual prices of comparable rearends that I will sell any day:

New Strange-60 Dana 60 assy, forged steel 1350 yoke, choice of ratio, Strange-Trac differential and 35 spline axles complete with leaf spring perches installed $2225

New Strange-9" nodular iron case, aluminum pinion support, forged steel 1350 yoke, choice of ratio, Strange-Trac differential, 35 spline axles, fab housing with short back brace and leaf spring perches installed $3175

The price difference is $950.

The weight difference between these 2 assemblies is negligible, with a slight edge to the 9".

The difference in efficiency between these 2 assemblies is negligible, with a slight edge to the Dana 60.

The size of the 9" differential is dictated by the presence of the third "pocket" bearing. Because of this, 9" differential internal parts are much smaller and weaker than the Dana 60 version. This is not a concern with a spool, but it gives the Dana 60 a big advantage for a heavy/torquey street/strip car with a traction differential.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 05:53 AM

here's a brand new bolt through 9" for $1,299 I bet you can get a housing and axles for close to 1K?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Racing-Cent...2ef&vxp=mtr

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 06:06 AM

That is a SPOOL equipped 9" third member built with imported parts.

Even though this thread concerns STREET/STRIP rears, for comparison purposes, I sell COMPLETE, US made, spool equipped bolt-in Strange-60 rearends for $1795

BTW, a BARE 9" Strange-Trac 9" differential runs $995

http://www.strangeengineering.net/high-p...-35-spline.html

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 06:09 AM

FWIW I just bought a '73 F350 Dana 60 rear with 3.73 locker for $80

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 06:10 AM

Quote:

Here us what I paid.

Total - $2865.00

here is another quote

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 06:38 AM

Here is the same quote, updated for a street/strip application, which applies to the OP:

Upgrade to S-Trac differential $805
TOTAL $3090

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 07:38 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I would have sworn your name was on Quicktrees post , What say you Quicktree, where the bull in my statement?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 07:59 AM

Quote:

Here is the same quote, updated for a street/strip application, which applies to the OP:

Upgrade to S-Trac differential $805
TOTAL $3090

Whats wrong with the 35 spline Detroit Locker, which can be bought for $500. Why do you need the $1000 Strange unit? It's understood you are a Strange dealer and that's fine, but they are not the only game in town. As stated, a Locker can be bought for $500 complete. A Nodular "kit" with housing, support, billet yoke, bearings and assy kit is $495. That puts a center at less than $1000 and then add you choice of gears. A street gear would seem to put a ready to rock, Locker equipped center in the $1300 range. I found those prices with about 2 minutes of search time on google. I'm sure more diligent search might find it even cheaper

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 08:51 AM

"Here you go, right here. These are legit prices"

Brad asked for an apples to apples comparison, so I gave him one based on the assembly price quoted in YOUR POST - same parts, same manufacturer.

For the reason I mentioned in my previous post, a 35 spline 9" Detroit Locker is not in the same league as a 35 spline Dana 60 Detroit Locker or S-Trac.

The only 9" traction differential that compares (strength wise) is an S-Trac ($) or Wave-Trac ($$)

For the sake of argument:

Upgrade to Detroit Locker $300
TOTAL $2585

Note, the cost of a 9" built with a sloppy Detroit Locker is still greater than an S-60 built with a tight/smooth S-Trac differential.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 10:11 AM

Now Doc there's no point bringing reason into the discussion.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I would have sworn your name was on Quicktrees post , What say you Quicktree, where the bull in my statement?

the whole dang thing, Monte pretty much explained why!

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the whole dang thing, Monte pretty much explained why!

People can and will put what ever they want under the
back of their car.. but what bugs me is the Dana being
a mopar rear... its not... its just BOUGHT by mopar
to put under the higher torque cars... I opted to
go with the 9" this time on the street rod because
I had a housing and a empty nodular center and I can
back brace it to the ends like shown.. and it has
radials so I'm looking for a dead hook... also the 9"
is lighter and I added enough weight elsewhere that
I needed the weight help... no matter what the difference
is.. it all adds up

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 05:28 PM

Quote:

Now Doc there's no point bringing reason into the discussion.

Why is that reasoning. His center is still priced at $1700 and I found the same thing, in two minutes for $1200. So a Dana Locker is great, a Ford Locker is sloppy? Aren't they the same design? One just a bit larger than the other.

The ONLY point to be considered here, is that the Ford rear does NOT cost a LOT more money if you shop around...........which is always the narrative when this discussion appears. Think it has been pointed out with some real world pricing this time

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 05:52 PM

What 9" center did I price at $1700?

Please post a link to this $1200 9" third-member equipped with a 35 spline traction differential.

All Detroit Lockers are sloppy because they have 1/8" internal lash before the ratchet mechanism engages.

I said you can get a S-60 equipped with a high-end, smooth, quiet S-Trac differential for LESS money than a comparable 9" rear built with a sloppy Detroit Locker. As a bonus, the Dana 60 S-Trac is stronger.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2 Pinion support.
3 Back braced housing.
I'm I missing anything?

I have a strange iron nodular housing with big pinion support, Lenco Billet locker 4.10 gears brand new. probably one of the best street/strip set ups around. the Billet locker is over $800 bucks by it's self. I will make you a heck of a deal and maybe work out a trade for you rockers

You have a PM
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 06:03 PM

To clarify, the Strange S-trac is stronger than the Lenco billet locker in a 9"? Thanks. S/F....Ken M

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 07:01 PM

Hard to say which is stronger, as the S-Trac hasn't been available as long as the Lenco Locker. According to Strange, they have been tested in some pretty serious street/strip cars, however.

I recommend the S-Trac for that application.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 08:29 PM

Quote:

What 9" center did I price at $1700?

Please post a link to this $1200 9" third-member equipped with a 35 spline traction differential.

All Detroit Lockers are sloppy because they have 1/8" internal lash before the ratchet mechanism engages.

I said you can get a S-60 equipped with a high-end, smooth, quiet S-Trac differential for LESS money than a comparable 9" rear built with a sloppy Detroit Locker. As a bonus, the Dana 60 S-Trac is stronger.

With about a 2 minute Google search, I found a "kit" that includes a Nodular center, Daytona pinion support, bearing kit, billet yoke, pinion nut. Basically everything other than gear and Locker for $495. Then I found a complete 35 spline "locker" assy for $500. That puts the total at $995. "Street" gear can be had for what......$200-$250. That puts a complete, ready to go Nodular center, good support, 35 spline locker and street gear for less than $1300 unless my math is wrong..........which it isn't. Is it an "out of the box" ready to bolt in center, No, you would have to put it together. Ok, you don't want to put it together. Buy the parts and have somebody assemble it. That's gonna cost what......another $100.............it's still a good deal.

When the other guy posted what he paid for his center, which without going back, I think he said $1250ish...........then you said "add $805" for the Strange locker. So really that was closer to $2000 and I said $1700.......my bad.

As I have already said, I could care less which rear anybody puts under their car. Makes NO difference to me..........but when it is REPEATEDLY claimed that a Ford of comparable assy costs WAY more money than a Dana, I am repeatedly going to point out that is NOT true. As with anything else, you shop around, you can find deals.

We always see threads, who has the best price on this, who has the best price on that, why would diff parts be any different. All the Dana guys always point at the highest price Ford parts and say "see, it's way higher".........when that is not the case with some shopping around. Just because a complete Pro-Mod center from Mark Williams is around $3000, does not mean every center section costs that much.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/16/15 11:18 PM

Quote:

To clarify, the Strange S-trac is stronger than the Lenco billet locker in a 9"? Thanks. S/F....Ken M

not real sure about, thats opinion like everything else.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 02:54 AM

Wow 4 pages in and Monte thinks he knows more about rear axles than Cass does

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 02:59 AM

Quote:

I like Cass but I know Monte is one of the most knowledgeable racers on the board. Monte gets my vote any day. no offense to Cass it's just the way you brought it up. remember Monte is out in the field everyday dealing with these things he knows what works and what doesn't. he also knows the real world cost. you can build a 9 dirt cheap if you try and know how.plenty of used good parts like carriers etc.
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 03:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All I know, is that our fully race prepped 400 in a Reid case, weighs 5lbs more than the fully prepped, Reid cased powerglide it replaced. Both are CONSIDERABLY lighter than the fully raced prepped, alum drum 727, with CSI shield, that I still have from my own car. Yep, 904 stuff can be light, but that is usually in lower power, or small block, lightweight Comp eliminator cars, that those combinations live. Put it behind big block power and see how it lasts.

Again, it is about what is BEST for the application. You can't compare apples to zebras..........LOL!!!

Monte

Interesting weight difference. My proflite is lighter than my full JW case PG trans by a few pounds. As far as the big blocks go, many of the SS Hemi cars use them as well as some big block comp cars using Pro stock power. Lonny Johnson comes to mind and last I spoke with him, his had over 150 runs without touching it. I know they will not hold up to the power of a pro mod but as you said,what is best for the application.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 06:04 AM

Quote:

Point out where I said THAT. All I said was I could find the parts cheaper than he quoted. What, you think Strange is the only people who make this crap. But as far as the prices of stuff I quoted........Google is your friend, look it up, see for yourself. I KNOW what the stuff can be built for, because I used to do it everyday and still sell a lot of parts.

As far as knowing about rear ends. I used to run a chassis shop. We built stockers to Pro-Mods. So I have built a rear or two. Be it Dana, Ford, Olds, 12 bolt.............whatever. Do I know more than Cass about various rears........probably not, as that is his business.

Cass doesn't like the Ford Locker............that's fine. It's his opinion and he is entitled to it. Personally, I have never broken one, never broke a Track Loc in a Dana either.

For clarification, NEVER had a problem with a DANA, other than bending tubes...........and ALL this bullsh%t goes back to what I said 3 or 4 pages ago. Dana is a fine rear, just not the best for every application on the planet

Monte

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 06:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Interesting weight difference. My proflite is lighter than my full JW case PG trans by a few pounds. As far as the big blocks go, many of the SS Hemi cars use them as well as some big block comp cars using Pro stock power. Lonny Johnson comes to mind and last I spoke with him, his had over 150 runs without touching it. I know they will not hold up to the power of a pro mod but as you said,what is best for the application.

Don't doubt that..........the JW case and bell is quite a bit heavier than the Reid stuff.

Monte
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 05:58 PM

I would always go to Cass for stuff if his price was even close to the ball park. I can drive down there and ask for stuff and he makes sure I have every nut, bolt, shim... you name it, whatever I need he hands it to me tells me how to set it up to last and that extra few bucks is worth it in knowledge and time saved. If he told me I need an 8.75 Dana or 9inch for a customers car I would just do what he tells me, he knows what parts he has sold and what breaks and what don't.

If I ever need nitrous stuff I will call Monte, I would expect to pay a little more than if I pieced it all together off flea-bay but I bet he would know all the little stuff I would need and give me some good feedback on setting it up. It would probably save me more in time than it would cost in extra because I was dealing with a pro.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 06:15 PM

I guess I need to refresh your memory about what I actually posted in response to YOUR original post, quoting race 9" pricing from Strange Engineeering. I didn't pick Strange, YOU DID!

Because the OP specifically said NO spool, I priced a bolt-in S-9 and S-60 street/strip assembly for comparison purposes:

New Strange-60 Dana 60 assy, forged steel 1350 yoke, choice of ratio, Strange-Trac differential and 35 spline axles complete with leaf spring perches installed $2225

New Strange-9" nodular iron case, aluminum pinion support, forged steel 1350 yoke, choice of ratio, Strange-Trac differential, 35 spline axles, fab housing with short back brace and leaf spring perches installed $3175

The price difference is $950. Both assemblies are built by Strange, with the SAME parts. Both are bolt-in units, both have the same axles, both have iron centers and forged yokes. BOTH HAVE THE SAME HIGH-END S-TRAC DIFFERENTIAL installed.

Because you have a problem comparing apples to apples, I updated the price quoted in YOUR POST with the LEAST EXPENSIVE 9" 35 spline traction differential available (Detroit Locker). This is the exact quote from your post, only substituting the spool for a Detroit Locker from Strange:

Upgrade to Detroit Locker $300 ($1545 third-member cost)
TOTAL $2585

Of course, you can pick the cheapest imported 9" components, coupled with the cheapest 35 spline traction differential, assembled by a buddy for $100 to get the price closer to a US MADE S-60 assembly built with a high end street/strip differential.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 06:37 PM

A Detroit Locker is a strong differential and was the hot ticket for a street/strip application 10 years ago, but smoother/stronger units are available now.

BTW, I repeatedly post "application is everything" on these threads. Conversely, because a 9" based rear is popular at the drag strip, it is not the best choice for every application, especially high-torque leaf spring equipped street/strip cars.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 07:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

A DANA CAN BE BACK BRACED TOO, all the way to the bearing. Why is this so hard to get into someones mind. Build the ramps to the center, or to the ladder-4-link braces,which is better because you can get more of an angle, or distance from back of housing,then a link(like a 4-link bar with adjusters) then you can put preload into your BACK BRACE. Lets see you bend that. It's called triangulation, same as with your cage. Just use the same engineering with the dana and all the weakness junk goes out the window. On another note when that pinion tries to climb the ring gear in a 9, how much does that center section, which is just bolted to the flat side of the housing, bend and flex that said housing? Won't see this on a dana. This not a mopar thing but the ford rear is not the answer to all rears just the fad at the moment till something else comes along.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 07:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

A DANA CAN BE BACK BRACED TOO, all the way to the bearing. Why is this so hard to get into someones mind. Build the ramps to the center, or to the ladder-4-link braces,which is better because you can get more of an angle, or distance from back of housing,then a link(like a 4-link bar with adjusters) then you can put preload into your BACK BRACE. Lets see you bend that. It's called triangulation, same as with your cage. Just use the same engineering with the dana and all the weakness junk goes out the window. On another note when that pinion tries to climb the ring gear in a 9, how much does that center section, which is just bolted to the flat side of the housing, bend and flex that said housing? Won't see this on a dana. This not a mopar thing but the ford rear is not the answer to all rears just the fad at the moment till something else comes along.

Sure it can be braced... sure dont see it though
and I dont tell anyone what to run... if you want
a dana.. go for it... I went with a 9" for my app
and I also run a 8 3/4 which works fine for me but
everyone on here will say otherwize... as many have
said... they all have there place

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 08:14 PM

Pics of braced Dana please.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 08:17 PM

Quote:

Pics of braced Dana please.

Dont ask me.. I havent seen them

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 09:11 PM

Quote:

I guess I need to refresh your memory about what I actually posted in response to YOUR original post, quoting race 9" pricing from Strange Engineeering. I didn't pick Strange, YOU DID!

Because the OP specifically said NO spool, I priced a bolt-in S-9 and S-60 street/strip assembly for comparison purposes:

The price difference is $950. Both assemblies are built by Strange, with the SAME parts. Both are bolt-in units, both have the same axles, both have iron centers and forged yokes. BOTH HAVE THE SAME HIGH-END S-TRAC DIFFERENTIAL installed.

Because you have a problem comparing apples to apples, I updated the price quoted in YOUR POST with the LEAST EXPENSIVE 9" 35 spline traction differential available (Detroit Locker). This is the exact quote from your post, only substituting the spool for a Detroit Locker from Strange:

Upgrade to Detroit Locker $300 ($1545 third-member cost)
TOTAL $2585

Of course, you can pick the cheapest imported 9" components, coupled with the cheapest 35 spline traction differential, assembled by a buddy for $100 to get the price closer to a US MADE S-60 assembly built with a high end street/strip differential.

I personally didn't pick a damn thing. Brad wanted real world prices, some guy posted what HE paid for his Ford parts and I quoted his post and said "here you go, real world prices", which they were. YOU posted your Dana prices, added the cost of the locker assy that YOU liked and added it to the other guys prices. All I pointed out, was that the Ford parts could be had for less money than quoted, which would bring the price of the Ford closer to what you quoted for the Dana.............I guess heaven forbid somebody do a little price shopping, instead of accepting ONE price as the ONLY price something can be done for..............So I stand corrected, as I didn't understand the rules of the comparison..........carry on.

So in conclusion, an ALL Strange Dana is cheaper than an ALL Strange Ford and that I won't argue with

MrP. I have seen and built some cradles on the back of Danas to attempt to keep them from bending tubes. The nice covers with the "load bolts"......you fab up a bracket that attaches to those. Then you run some pieces of tubing with heims from this fabbed bracket out to more brackets toward the end of the housing. Preferably you have left and right heims in the links, so that you can actually preload the housing a little, in an attempt to keep it from bending forward. Does it help.....YES.........Is it heavy...YES.....Make the rear hard to work on......YES.....Does it totally solve the problem.....NO

You guys can hash it out from here

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 09:24 PM

MrP. I have seen and built some cradles on the back of Danas to attempt to keep them from bending tubes. The nice covers with the "load bolts"......you fab up a bracket that attaches to those. Then you run some pieces of tubing with heims from this fabbed bracket out to more brackets toward the end of the housing. Preferably you have left and right heims in the links, so that you can actually preload the housing a little, in an attempt to keep it from bending forward. Does it help.....YES.........Is it heavy...YES.....Make the rear hard to work on......YES.....Does it totally solve the problem.....NO

You guys can hash it out from here

I figured they would use that cast cover with the bolt
holes in it and add on to that... I would have guessed
that cover to be a bit pricey... but I never seen
one made.. but like I said.. I'm sure its done

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 10:14 PM

My junk Dana I wanna make stronger .

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 10:36 PM

I had one issue with my brothers Olds rear end.. much
like a dana.. the axle tubes were welded to the case
but at Norwalk the one tube broke the weld free and
that tube would rotate in the housing.. at first I
didnt figure out that the tube was rotating but 1
wheelie bar was way lower than the other.. the welds
were a previous owner and didnt hold... I pulled the
diff and zeroed it up again and re-welded with nickle
rod and its been fine since.... this was in his 8
sec nostalgia altered

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Is if the pinion climbs the ring gear and flexs the housing face like you state, the ring gear will move with the pinion as it is in the third member. Just the housing would flex not the pinion. Now in a Dana 60 when this happens you move the pinion further away from ring gear. Not a good thing.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 11:10 PM

Like to make one more point, the closer the ladder bar-4-link-spring to the tire in conjunction with the smallest offset rim, the less chance of bending. Think of a pry bar trying to lift a heavy object, the closer the fulcrum is to the object the more the bar will bend, closer to you hand the more effort you will need to bend that same bar.The tire is moving forward and pulling 3000 lbs or more with it and once it gets past the strength of that tube it will bend something hence it will have to be braced. That's why we're seeing the 4-links-ladders in the wheel well outside the frame next to the tire, more stable too. Don't hook the brace to that cover use a tube with solid heims(just like a 4-like bar with flats) between the braces for suspension, just drop the bar and everything's in the clear. No more complicated or "heavy" 10 lbs at the most, than anything else on the RACE CAR. I'll try to make a drawing to simplify.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 11:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Is if the pinion climbs the ring gear and flexs the housing face like you state, the ring gear will move with the pinion as it is in the third member. Just the housing would flex not the pinion. Now in a Dana 60 when this happens you move the pinion further away from ring gear. Not a good thing.

Read what i said again, the housing will flex, didn't say anything about the pinion flexing. In our Race car applications do you think a pinion will flex in that 9 inch carrier or dana housing?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 11:31 PM

Wow... wasn't trying to cause a major over upgrading a silly-a$$ 10-sec. .

Good info, but some of you have taken the original intent of the post and escalated it to the point where I'm wating for a Web SWAT Team to come in here and start picking off posters one at a time.

Thanks, everyone, for a truly enlightening thread!

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 11:38 PM

You BRAD are a trouble-maker

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/17/15 11:44 PM

Seems like a good thread to me. I believe the answer is fairly clear for your car. Dana 60 with the S-Trac. Looks like you need to send Cass about $2000 and in a few weeks your new Dana will arrive on your doorstep.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 12:09 AM

Been following this thread since the beginning

I to was on the fence on what to replace the 8.75 in my car with..... Dana 60 or Ferd 9"

Thanks for helping me decide on the S-60 and of course Dr. Diff will get my business

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 12:52 AM

Quote:

Been following this thread since the beginning

I to was on the fence on what to replace the 8.75 in my car with..... Dana 60 or Ferd 9"

Thanks for helping me decide on the S-60 and of course Dr. Diff will get my business

The Dana would fit my application well,l buuuuuuuuuut what if I want to upgrade because of bigger power and harder launch?
If I start with the moly housing, back braced and add good axles and a SUITABLE Nod case, I can Always upgrade to a Better case.The Dana your done.
I read on YB that the lenco billet locker was broken by a guy in a LX mustange with a 1.30 60.
So decisions desisions
Matt
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 12:59 AM

Get the back braced 9". The one in my car is roughly 14 yrs old. It has street gears, 35 spline axels with a spool. 1.25 60's & 9.50 et's. Street driven most of the time. Works perfectly.
Posted By: KOS

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 01:02 AM

Dana 60 hands down for your app.....ive owned 5 in my life 2 currently from dr.diff awsome piece at an excellent price.ive built 2 9" had alot of $$$ spent even on the one with low end parts.at end of the day have broken lots of 8 3/4s....and gears in the 9" never anything in the danas.my buddy has a dana60 in his 67camaro super stocker for over 25yrs bone stock mopar pass car rear running mid 10s with a BB on a t-brake.he finally broke the stock posi and bent an axle when he started runnin 9.20s.put a spool in it and axles and still goin strong today.their was also a gentlman on pinks in one episode i remember made a note of telling Ken Herring about his bone stock pass car dana60 in his 65mustang sbf stroker with a fogger 4spd jerrico running 8.90s.Ken said "bone stock"guy says YES axles posi and all the response was wow.
Posted By: draginmopars

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 01:05 AM

a factory Dana such as in a "B" body

How thick are the tubes?

I keep hearing of the tube bending.

The only Dana I have narrowed are truck dana
They are .480" thick

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 01:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Read what i said again, the housing will flex, didn't say anything about the pinion flexing. In our Race car applications do you think a pinion will flex in that 9 inch carrier or dana housing?

Well since a nine inch pinion is supported in two locations and the Dana only one which leaves a longer unsupported pinion you tell me.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 01:11 AM

Good one. Very good point.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 02:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Well since a nine inch pinion is supported in two locations and the Dana only one which leaves a longer unsupported pinion you tell me.

Lets push a little farther, is it the pinion or the bearing letting it deflect. The reason precision milling machines and lathes use a tapered bronze bushing, can't have that movement. Back in the late 60s early 70S Chrysler did some testing on the dana(slow motion photography) and found the pinion actually moved into the pinion not away on the stick cars so they recommended more back lash.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 02:35 AM

Anybody know if Strange offers a chromoly tube option on the S-60?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 03:18 AM

Quote:

I run a 1.19 60' on a 8 3/4... LOTS of 1.19s so what
does that say... and dont say lucky.. it has its place
as do all the others

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 03:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Lets push a little farther, is it the pinion or the bearing letting it deflect. The reason precision milling machines and lathes use a tapered bronze bushing, can't have that movement. Back in the late 60s early 70S Chrysler did some testing on the dana(slow motion photography) and found the pinion actually moved into the pinion not away on the stick cars so they recommended more back lash.

Ok so it's the bearing on the 60. It still does matter as the nine inch has two bearings to spread the loads and handle this deflection. Now you can run the proper back lash and not worry.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 03:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

as do all the others

This is my thoughts... it is all about who sets them up, some guys set up and run 8.75s Dana60s, 9" and they all can last very long times, then you have other guys who at equal or lower power levels bust teeth off, caps off, break pinions... on all of them rear diffs are a black art that a few think they understand and in reality very few out of those even have a good grasp on doing it right and that is the ones that outlast the energizer bunny. Very few people know how backlash affects the life of the rear much less throw in preloads, parts selection, gear mesh patterns... I am not one of those guys, I let someone else do it for me. If I want one to put one behind a serious motor/chassis and last I will call Cass. If you have someone build a bunch of diffs for you and they break all the time it is time to swap builders not nessacarily diffs
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:03 AM

Great thread albeit a little heated...

To the OP - a Dana would be more than enough for your application and save you a little coin.

Both rear ends have their pros n cons - guess it all depends on the application, budget etc.

I did a heap of research on both the Dana and the 9" - I went with a Dana, for a number of reasons that worked for ME.

Interestingly enough, on many forums, there are members (if you believe what they say) who have run Danas reliably with factory gears, housings, axles and carriers and have been reliably going 9s and some in the high 8s in street/strip type cars - FOR YEARS.

Somehow I don't see a factory 28-31 spine 9" doing the same - for long. Ive twisted both 28 and 31 spline 9" factory axles in a 3300b A body with a 400HP SBM

Just my experience
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:23 AM

.....and to think I can remember when a "performance upgrade" was grabbing a 4.10 8.75 pig out of the junkyard!

we have run D60 in both our cars.... the latest one the S60 from Cass ....it's ok though, we're not fast!

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 05:35 AM

Quote:

as do all the others

It says your cars are fly weights. Put your rear in a heavy car going 1.20s and see how long it lasts. A 8 3/4 would probably be fine in your Rampage too.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 05:37 AM

Quote:

.....and to think I can remember when a "performance upgrade" was grabbing a 4.10 8.75 pig out of the junkyard!

Too Funny .......But true.
This is a good thread but my vote for the Dana

Attached picture 8433019-DSCN0333.JPG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 05:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

as do all the others

It says your cars are fly weights. Put your rear in a heavy car going 1.20s and see how long it lasts. A 8 3/4 would probably be fine in your Rampage too.

I know my car is lite,, that why it works... but
look at Dom.. he hasnt broke yet either... like I
said... they all have their place

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 07:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

Ok so it's the bearing on the 60. It still does matter as the nine inch has two bearings to spread the loads and handle this deflection. Now you can run the proper back lash and not worry.

It's the bearing on both rears, that pinion will not bend, it will brake first. I personally have never broke a dana, my buddy's car spit a tooth out the cover,then latter shattered a Strange axle and took out the sprag, after 6 years of racing that car two times a week, never bent the housing either. When i bought my 64 plm it had a 8 3/4,lasted 4 sundays, took all the teeth off the ring gear. I had a truck housing,reused the axles and 8 3/4 ends. spool and gears cost $200, used same bearings and 1350 yoke that came in the dana,did buy a new seal,tig welded the ends and ladder brackets. That was in 93 parked the car in 99 for a total rebuild and drive my other car. Might check it before it goes back together.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 09:26 AM

A 9" housing must be back-braced for strength, as the tubes are welded to a sheet-metal housing. I bend/straighten NON back braced (circle track) fab 9" housings in my hydraulic fixture very easily.

Because the tubes are press fit several inches deep, then welded around the circumference to a rigid center casting, a Dana 60 housing takes much more pressure to bend/straighten.

The Dana 60 pictured in this thread with Cal-Tracs and blue shocks is a perfect example of an application where a back-braced 9" will not fit and a Dana 60 is probably the best choice.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:19 PM

Quote:

A 9" housing must be back-braced for strength, as the tubes are welded to a sheet-metal housing. I bend/straighten NON back braced (circle track) fab 9" housings in my hydraulic fixture very easily.

Because the tubes are press fit several inches deep, then welded around the circumference to a rigid center casting, a Dana 60 housing takes much more pressure to bend/straighten.

The Dana 60 pictured in this thread with Cal-Tracs and blue shocks is a perfect example of an application where a back-braced 9" will not fit and a Dana 60 is probably the best choice.

Why would a back braced nine inch not work there? I run a 8 3/4 back braced with the same 3 inch axle tubes as a nine inch and "blue" shocks with out a problem in my car.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:29 PM

Quote:

Great thread albeit a little heated...

To the OP - a Dana would be more than enough for your application and save you a little coin.

Both rear ends have their pros n cons - guess it all depends on the application, budget etc.

I did a heap of research on both the Dana and the 9" - I went with a Dana, for a number of reasons that worked for ME.

Interestingly enough, on many forums, there are members (if you believe what they say) who have run Danas reliably with factory gears, housings, axles and carriers and have been reliably going 9s and some in the high 8s in street/strip type cars - FOR YEARS.

Somehow I don't see a factory 28-31 spine 9" doing the same - for long. Ive twisted both 28 and 31 spline 9" factory axles in a 3300b A body with a 400HP SBM

Just my experience

Love these posts, because my buddies buddy has one that works all stock it should be fine.

I have a 8 3/4 in my car ,8.50s, Brett has one in his car ,8.90s, and Tory has one in his car ,8.90s. All car are a bodies and weight from 2750 to 3195 lbs. So does this mean a 8 3/4 is the answer for cars running in the eights.
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:32 PM

I went with the S60 for my new build for the folowing reasons, I had one in my roadrunner 9 second car 3300# T-break bigblock launches for years on end and never a problem. Second was price.

Attached picture 8433266-IMAG2737.jpg

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

as do all the others

So why does mine live 3195 lbs. Bretts car 2750 lbs 8.90s 1.24 60 fts. Tory's car 2870 lbs 8.90s and 1.25 60 ft. All have 8 3/4 rears.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:49 PM

Quote:

I went with the S60 for my new build for the folowing reasons, I had one in my roadrunner 9 second car 3300# T-break bigblock launches for years on end and never a problem. Second was price.

Nice

Also heard that the Dana WITH an Aluminum cover will NOT fit due to STOCK gas tank interference. A Body.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice

Also heard that the Dana WITH an Aluminum cover will NOT fit due to STOCK gas tank interference. A Body.

Cant answer that one, I cut the tire sump out of the trunk floor will have flat floor with cell mounted in the trunk. I can see where it would be snug on a stock A body tank though.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 05:19 PM

It won't ! Will not fit ! You need a BFH to make some room
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 05:32 PM

Quote:

Wow... wasn't trying to cause a major over upgrading a silly-a$$ 10-sec. .

Good info, but some of you have taken the original intent of the post and escalated it to the point where I'm wating for a Web SWAT Team to come in here and start picking off posters one at a time.

Thanks, everyone, for a truly enlightening thread!

Na, it takes WAY more than that to invite S.W.A.T. over for dinner................LOTS! Then to survive that............. I do thank them for the blurred vision, stuttering and memory loss BUT then I think they knocked some sense into me at the same time although now I think that I`m some carb builder but that will pass.....................

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice

If you're still running a stock tank A body you probably don't need the support cover especially with the new S60 because the caps are much beefier than the stock Dana caps
Gus

Attached picture 8433348-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

as do all the others

So why does mine live 3195 lbs. Bretts car 2750 lbs 8.90s 1.24 60 fts. Tory's car 2870 lbs 8.90s and 1.25 60 ft. All have 8 3/4 rears.

You tell me .

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 08:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Point out where I said THAT. All I said was I could find the parts cheaper than he quoted. What, you think Strange is the only people who make this crap. But as far as the prices of stuff I quoted........Google is your friend, look it up, see for yourself. I KNOW what the stuff can be built for, because I used to do it everyday and still sell a lot of parts.

As far as knowing about rear ends. I used to run a chassis shop. We built stockers to Pro-Mods. So I have built a rear or two. Be it Dana, Ford, Olds, 12 bolt.............whatever. Do I know more than Cass about various rears........probably not, as that is his business.

Cass doesn't like the Ford Locker............that's fine. It's his opinion and he is entitled to it. Personally, I have never broken one, never broke a Track Loc in a Dana either.

For clarification, NEVER had a problem with a DANA, other than bending tubes...........and ALL this bullsh%t goes back to what I said 3 or 4 pages ago. Dana is a fine rear, just not the best for every application on the planet

Monte

Monte the OP stated he wanted to "upgrade" his current setup and to me that doesn't mean find the cheapest components he can find on the net.Cass puts his reputation on the line when he recommends what components are needed to fulfill the OP's requirements.If he thinks I need to use a certain item I trust his opinion over yours because he is an expert in the field.At the same time I wouldn't go ask Cass how to setup an 8 second nitrous injected door slammer I would contact an expert in the field like you.
If someone wanted to "upgrade" their current nitrous system would you advise them to Google the cheapest solenoids they could find on the net?Or maybe find the cheapest fuel pump on the internet? Of course you wouldn't Do you put the cheap offshore junk in the racecars you build? From your reputation I don't think so

Gus

Attached picture 8433530-rearviewsavoy.jpg

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 08:56 PM

Still waiting for braced Dana pic

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 09:19 PM

I've seen a lot of Dana rearends with braces. Typically in the off-road environment. They run a bar across the cover and tie it all together. Don't usually see it on drag cars though.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 09:23 PM

Quote:

I have this cover on my DANA and wondered if this was a worthwhile addition
Gus

Attached picture 8433565-dana.JPG

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/18/15 11:07 PM

Quote:

Looks like you have to take ONE OF THESE and add THIS to it.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/19/15 03:53 AM

Interesting read here Brad
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/ccrp-0806-chevy-chevelle-rear-axle-swap/

Gus

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/19/15 05:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Wonder if there is shock interference with that setup.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/19/15 07:45 PM

Yeah I was wondering the same thing because my new shocks are pretty fat. That is one of those deals as was posted earlier you would want solid clevis type rodends for it to be efective at all. And you would have to mock it up on the car race ready for shock clearance.
Gus

Attached picture 8434559-7462461-5434258-READY2.jpg

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/19/15 07:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice

If you're still running a stock tank A body you probably don't need the support cover especially with the new S60 because the caps are much beefier than the stock Dana caps
Gus

I thought that the Dana S60 had thinner caps on it do to the adjusters?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/19/15 08:29 PM

I bought a Dana 60 from one of the old time Mopar backed Comp Eliminator racers that had a brace mounted on the pinion snubber bolt holes with welded slots for the 1.0 inch tubing (I think it was, I never measured it) hiem joints bolted into the mount, the tubing was welded onto the axle ends with Hiem joints on the other end of the tube ends. I wish I had taken pictures of that rear end now I beleive I was told that it had 1/8 inch toe in on the front side measured 16 inches out from the center of the axles Now if we could only still buy the Olds and Pontiac rear end parts we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/19/15 09:39 PM

I have a 66 Plymouth Dana under my Savoy and the caps look really thin to me.I put ARP studs on them and have a support cover because my car is a stick and it's heavy at 3570#
From some of the close-up pics of the new S-60 the caps look twice as thick as the caps in my stocker Dana.
Gus

Attached picture 8434685-8050261-rearviewsavoy.jpg
Posted By: Randy..

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/20/15 01:32 AM

I built the Dana in my dart myself Moser 35 spline stuff girdle cover and 5/8 studs, have around 800 bucks in it including the truck housing, that I bought with about 5 others, so I already had the housing, if I was starting from scratch I would build a aftermarket 9, even if its several hundred more mainly for the gear options and less weight even if only 10 lbs difference. A 9 will replace the Dana after the car is sorted out and going again. Good luck with it.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/20/15 03:00 AM

The braces shown havent addressed the problem point..
thats AFTER the spring to the end.. the spring acts
as a brace point
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/20/15 07:12 PM

i run a dana for a number of reasons. the dana may weigh slightly more, but has less rotating drag due to the fact that the pinion centerline is closer to the ring gear centerline (vertically). granted there is tons of aftermarket support for the 9", but i just didn't want a ford based rear in my car. that and i've broken a 9". and an 8 3/4. and an 8 1/4. i also agonized over which posi to use. i have a full spool. it was the right decision for me.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/20/15 07:14 PM

Quote:

as a brace point

the closer together the brackets/ spring mounts are to each other, the greater the leverage the tires have to bend the housing.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/20/15 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

as a brace point

the closer together the brackets/ spring mounts are to each other, the greater the leverage the tires have to bend the housing.

I know all about that

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/20/15 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

You put a little preload on those bars? And which way, push or pull?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/20/15 07:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

as a brace point

I know all about that

i know you do...

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 12:57 AM

Quote:

i run a dana for a number of reasons. the dana may weigh slightly more, but has less rotating drag due to the fact that the pinion centerline is closer to the ring gear centerline (vertically). granted there is tons of aftermarket support for the 9", but i just didn't want a ford based rear in my car. that and i've broken a 9". and an 8 3/4. and an 8 1/4. i also agonized over which posi to use. i have a full spool. it was the right decision for me.

This rotating effort/efficiency of rear ends I find exceptionally interesting. I have NEVER seen an actual test, figures, or calculations. As such, I believe that it really doesn't make a difference, a measurable difference. NASCAR guys do everything to extract every bit of power, yet they run a 9". Show me facts, otherwise, I say this is 50 years of bull.....
Posted By: KOS

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 01:30 AM

Quote:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/ccrp-0806-chevy-chevelle-rear-axle-swap/

Gus

read this heres your proof

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 01:38 AM

1600 HP with a Dana

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...100001711102208

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 01:47 AM

Quote:

1600 HP with a Dana

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...100001711102208

Link does not work. It says its BROKEN.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 01:54 AM

Works for me... 550" HEMI with f2 procharger

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 02:04 AM

Quote:

Works for me... 550" HEMI with f2 procharger

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Back to home

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Well, I stand corrected. What a great test! Man, that took some time and effort.

It stated at the end that the ET would be measured in hundred's of a second. Um, the Ford was 17 pounds lighter (balancing the brake weights). With an aluminum center you could drop enough weight to make the ET's the same????

This thread really hashed out some opinions and ideas here, so I will put mine here as well. I think the ford rear (with aluminum center) looks better than the Dana. Thanks to all for the inputs!

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 04:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Well, I stand corrected. What a great test! Man, that took some time and effort.

It stated at the end that the ET would be measured in hundred's of a second. Um, the Ford was 17 pounds lighter (balancing the brake weights). With an aluminum center you could drop enough weight to make the ET's the same????

This thread really hashed out some opinions and ideas here, so I will put mine here as well. I think the ford rear (with aluminum center) looks better than the Dana. Thanks to all for the inputs!

And get the aluminum 9 inch center that runs 12 bolt gears, there's the winner
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

BradH, your search for the answer is over. There it is.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Yep... time to start pricing out a bolt-in 12-bolt assembly.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/21/15 06:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Yep... time to start pricing out a bolt-in 12-bolt assembly.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/dragra...-gear-yoke.html

Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/23/15 05:57 PM

i went with a narrowed Strange S60, 3.70 gears detroit locker in my A-body 70 Dart.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/23/15 07:58 PM

I like what you have done...strength balanced with light weight (disc brakes) and a 4-link that does not require a Panhard rod. That should be a smooth ride besides...a great street/strip mod.

I am going the budget route with leaf springs and drum brakes...I am not going to impress anyone but me and since it is a Dana 60, now that it is in place I won't have to fuss with it at all.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/23/15 09:43 PM

Do the 12 bolt drop out centers for the 9" keep the the pinion support bearing that makes a 9" so fabulous?

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/23/15 10:48 PM

Well, they are saying 12 bolt gears, and with the pinion higher, I doubt the support bearing is possible.

I don't exactly agree with someone calling the 9" a power robber, there was a 1.5% difference in power output, which could be caused by a simple temperature or barometric change. Maybe they accounted for that, don't remember reading that though. Did anybody see if they accounted for "weather/altitude" change?

Overall it was a really interesting test of rears, but what if bearing pre-load is on the high side of one rear, and low on the other.

I no doubt learned something there, but it wouldn't change my mind as to which rear I would choose.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/23/15 11:17 PM

Don McCallum (SP) ran a 68 Cuda in SS/AA and they tried everything. No difference in ET's from any of them.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/23/15 11:38 PM

As somebody already stated, if there was shred of evidence that a Ford COST you ANY power or performance over the entire range, they would NOT be under CUP cars.....period. Instead of center sections for every track, they would just have complete assys. Could change them just as fast, probably faster.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/23/15 11:40 PM

Quote:

Well, they are saying 12 bolt gears, and with the pinion higher, I doubt the support bearing is possible.

I don't exactly agree with someone calling the 9" a power robber, there was a 1.5% difference in power output, which could be caused by a simple temperature or barometric change. Maybe they accounted for that, don't remember reading that though. Did anybody see if they accounted for "weather/altitude" change?

Overall it was a really interesting test of rears, but what if bearing pre-load is on the high side of one rear, and low on the other.

I no doubt learned something there, but it wouldn't change my mind as to which rear I would choose.

The heavy brakes would account for most of the difference
they showed.. and they made note of the brakes being
heavy

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/24/15 12:04 AM

Quote:

As somebody already stated, if there was shred of evidence that a Ford COST you ANY power or performance over the entire range, they would NOT be under CUP cars.....period. Instead of center sections for every track, they would just have complete assys. Could change them just as fast, probably faster.

I'd be curious to see if the rear end was like everything else in nascar. It's probably the only one approved to run in their major series.

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/24/15 02:58 AM

Justin, you may well have hit the nail on the head with the NASCAR approval only of the "Ford type" rear.

I couldn't find it directly, but I believe you are correct in that they HAVE to run it. As I said, I couldn't find it directly, but there definitely is "approved" rear end parts.
This goes against my "if its good enough for NASCAR, its good enough for me" argument......so be it.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Street/strip diff upgrade: D60 vs 9" pros & cons - 02/25/15 07:38 PM

Quote:

If they loose the pinion bearing support with a 12 bolt drop out in a 9" housing what's the strength advantage? You basically have an 8 3/4 then (12 bolt has a 8 7/8 ring gear).......
© 2024 Moparts Forums