I realize that feel is a subjective thing, but at what point do these 1.12 and larger T bars start to make the cars feel too tightly sprung?
I thought that I was doing well with the 1.0 bars in my car. I have a 70 Charger with an aluminum headed 440/493. Aluminum radiator, intake, TTI headers do shed weight as compared to factory stock. The battery is in the trunk. It rides nice, not too firm. I don't notice excessive brake dive. I have a custom 1.25 front sway bar with urethane bushings. The rear is MP XHD leafs with a 7/8" sway bar using rubber end links to reduce the slight oversteer the car had with the tighter urethane bushings. I've ran without the rear bar to reduce oversteer but I didn't like the extra body roll.
I understand that to reduce understeer, the rear needs more roll stiffness via bigger sway bar or stiffer leaf springs. Conversely, to reduce oversteer the front needs more spring rate or a bigger sway bar. The 1.25 is about as big as I can fit in there without touching the K member, so that leaves me with larger Torsion Bars.
The 1.12 and 1.15 ones from Bergman come at a decent price. My car went from .88 to 1.0 when I went from the 318 to the first 440 I had. It wasn't a direct comparison in terms of ride quality since I added weight to the car. As the car sits now, I'd expect the jump from 1.0 to 1.12 or 1.15 to be quite noticeable.
Mopar Mitch often chimes in to say ..." Make the switch to the big bars. You will not regret it". Thatis probably true in the case of an autocross car but what about a car like mine? I may autocross someday but I also drive on mediocre California roads. I had stiff springs in a 76 Camaro that would sometimes skip and skitter over rough roads, often understeering as the front bounced over the cobble like asphalt. I don't want to spend $300 to have a rough riding car that handles worse.
Opinions?