Evidently you have not been keeping up.

I originally intended to build a 440 or larger engine. A 358 with a 2.25" main is not going to handle my intentions.

I heard about these blocks a couple years ago when the XR2 talk was just getting started. I then found an engine with the EEi block for sale. I called and found that it too had the 2.25" mains. The guy told me about an engine his friend who had just built with the later 340 main block and was very happy.

I sold my W8 stuff piece by piece to keep things going while waiting on my previous house to sell.

After the sale I was preparing to buy everything to build an EEI block. Yes $7,500, and that is a deal it is done and ready with Jesel keyway bushings. All other aluminum blocks I checked on at this level for other makes once machined were around that price or more. The crank is $3,200 as a off the shelf 340 based crank does not work with the rear seal or front belt drive. I did not have that much money to sink into the deal and the heads I had were a little smaller than what I needed. The intake manifolds were $600 also.

Bob Leeth wanted to sell out. He had everything needed to bolt it in the car. That makes a huge difference. Based on his information and his troubles he had made changes that made sense. I bought his stuff. I bought this combination with plans to later build a 440+ shortblock for it. After breaking a rocker arm and a mishap in the shop #5 cylinder got hurt bad. Just bad luck.

That 358 Trwaters ran 5.82 at 118. So yes it is a great bargain for drag racing. Bad luck can come with any engine. Things happen.

I want to someday run a lot of nitrous with this combo. A 2.25" main is not going to be happy with 500HP nitrous. While looking for a replacement block I was not having much luck for a machined block like the one I had. I was trying to purchase a used block and crank and the guy who had some would not sell. I was prepared to call EEI and it was too late in the day. I then found the current 440 R5P7 that came with a disassembled Bush 358. So I bought them.

Argue what you want. However I did not have to buy the $7500 block and $3,200 crank to go 440 on my own as planned. It is not a bad deal if you do. The world is full of these P7 heads people have bought up. When builders are getting $10K for a 408 that are over estimated to make 600HP. Yes the 358 stuff covering Ebay for $10K is a great bargain. They make 800 HP in cup form.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.