Quote:

I have a question or more a hypothetical.

Lets say I purchased a used engine, resize the valves and throat to match, install a drag racing specific cam, and move over to a sheet metal manifold and 2x4's up top, what type of power am I making at 10k rpm with a 358?

You are asking close to what I am going to be building or better yet my engine builder(Scotty Brown) is. In our talks he has mentioned upping the compression to 16:1, going to a reliable roller cam, using the M&M sheetmetal style cast intake and the appropriate carbs, I am thinking the new Holley HP or the new smaller dominatiors.

I was told to looks somewhere in the 950-975 range. But he has always been conservative in his estimates. This is not set on kill either. The car is being built for an index class. I want to be about 2 tenths faster than the index to account for weather and altitude changes. If it is faster so be it.

The M&M style vs sheet metal is a cost vs gain issue. Sheetmetal you are going to drop about 3000-4500 for a good intake. The M&M unit plus porting is about 2k. you will gain about 20hp maybe a little more with the sheet metal. Car set on kill, then sheetmetal all the way.

This info is what my engine guy has been telling me. He has my motor now. Work is coming slow as I have the chassis being built and the body on the other car all being done at one time.

I will be using a 7 or 8” convertor, Bruno and Liberty Extreme 4spd. The 4spd is because the class calls for 2-3 speed auto or 4spd manual.

Leon an update as you know the most of what I am doing, the struts are ordered, mock up block, headers and few other components are there. The chassis guy was super busy and I told him to move me to the end of the line.