Quote:

The swap to R5 in the long run will be good.

The W8 was a really strong engine, but as W8's go CFE claimed my heads were some of the best flowing he had done and for large bores a perfect combination. The oiling system extremely simple.

I dropped 60CID and lost 70HP. The P7 does not eat valve springs and the parts are plentiful. The P7 is not aggressive at all. When the power came in it was smooth. The only negative was the displacement. Get some stroke in it to make some lower RPM torque it should prove a great combo for a powerglide transmission.

I have had a little carnage. Simple a rocker arm broke. $100 to fix. Unfortunately a Ghost came in my shop and moved some stuff around. A titanium valve lock disappeared. All the Kings horses and all the Kings men looked for this missing lock and assured me the King that it was no where to be found. I looked too. Pulled the DS head and looked some more. It was no where to be found. Put Humpty Dumpty back together and set the valves. Bumped the squirters and proceeded to start the engine. Well you hear the rumble and smell the fuel you have to tap the throttle. Tapped and heard a lot of new noise. Long story short the keeper was either in the intake manifold or on top the carburetor's butterfly. It went into #5 breaking the ring land and splitting the cylinder wall. The block and piston are now junk. The head has a minor nick in the deck. Just some really bad luck. Nothing to do with being a R5P7.

Leon

Hi Leon. Did you weigh this engine combo? I bet this would be plenty light with that EEI alum block.