Hi Eric:

I'm still betting it's rich. When performance carbs such as Holleys are made, they must run on a variety of engines with varying specifications. If there is a lean spot, it will manifest itself as a stumble and make the telephone ring at the tech support center for the carb manufacturer. If it's a little too rich across the board, spark plugs don't last as long, you need to continually clean the rear of the car and your clothes stink, as you observed - but the engine still runs OK. No time wasted at the tech support center talking to some p!$$ed off guy who thinks he just paid good money for a junk carb

Despite the fact that I'm betting rich, it's still not a 100% certain thing.

But the wire thing will confirm or refute that fact really fast.

Do you have a set of numbered drills? If not, do you know anyone you could borrow them from? If not, do you have a Harbor Freight store near you? They sell a decent set. I bought a set at Big Lots recently too. They were junk as far as drill bits are concerned, but you could still use them to measure orfices and such.

Whenever you're ready, pull the metering blocks and post some pics and we'll get started.

I'm off to work.

Jim