Quote:

cost aside, do you guys actually believe the new hemi is even equally as good as a LS??? my local track has a fox body with a turbo'd 4.8 running in the 4's... I can't say I've ever seen a new hemi that was even remotely fast?

Yes, eagle heads can flow we'll into the mid/upper 300's, 6.1 heads high 300's low 400's, apaches well into 400's just going off the top of my head. Hell, the original 5.7 head can get we'll into the low to mid 300's when CNC'ed. The blocks are strong, guys pushing them to over 1000 hp (but they suffer the same problems as the LS engines do with boost, they like to lift cylinder heads with lots of boost).
The major Achillies for them is the stock pistons are weak (thin ring lands) where the LS pistons seem quite abit more robust in stock form.
BES handily won a recent Engine Masters with a 5.7 based HEMI using 5.7 original heads. The 2nd place engine was an LS but was down quite abit on power compared to the BES HEMI, so yes a GenIII HEMI can run with an LS with no problem.