Quote:

Quote:

When you tap the 2 pin pickup connector to ground, should this be without the coil to distributor wire disconnected? I am guessing you are trying to simulate the pickup signal and "trick" the ECU into firing the coil...

I will also check the reluctor gap as you suggested.

During this test you'll still have the coil wire off the distributor and 1/4" from a ground point. And yes, this tricks the ECU into firing the coil.

In my case, I had weak/no spark while cranking (gap too large), but had an avalanche of HUGE sparks when I tapped the plug to ground.

If it dies and you have good spark with this test, then it shows the ECU side is ok, and narrows the problem to the pickup side.

You might also jump battery voltage around the bulkhead/ignition switch to make sure you have good voltage to the ECU/BR.

I will try this test next time I have a block of time to crank her up again. Thanks for the information! Another thing I might try aftre the motor dies is jump (for a limited time) from the + terminal on battery to the + terminal on the coil to give it full voltage. Would this harm the coil if I had this on for a few minutes? I just don't want to cook my coil. :-(

I would assume if this worked, it points to weak spark which would indicate and ECU/wiring/coil issue. Sicne I am getting a consitant spark at the plug (after motor dies), I am guessing puckup is OK. The pickup indirectly controls when and IF the coil fires but not the magnitude of the spark itself or am I wrong?

It just seems odd I am only getting a consistant spark at 10kV or less. When I widen the tester gap to 20kV or higher the spark becomes very inconsistant. My memory could be failing me here but I seem to remember this motor (and other stock engines of various makes) having no trouble arching across the tester at 20-30kV.

Quote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with your wireing,it is the pickup coil in the dizzy. Pull the dist out and put in another one............problem solved.

I would agree with you but I installed a brand new pickup last month. No change.