Guys,

I have been grappeling with a strange, elusive issue now for the past 6 weeks and it's got me about to torch my Charger to the ground!

Car is a 1973 Charger. Everything on the electrical system is stock except for a 100 amp alternator (3 wire) and dual electric fans. Ignition is factory electronic ignition and MP distributor. Engine bay wire harnesses are all NEW repro.

I had this car dyno'ed back in August and tuned and it had run fine for about 25-50 miles worth of driving. Started great, good power, never died...

Problem "began" when I was driving the car and it simply cutoff while I was crusing. Just lost power and died. This was the first time I had run with hadlights so I figured this must be a low voltage situation. I went ahead and upgraded the alt to a 100 amp unit. Problem still existed.

I then replaced or swapped the following to see what the issue was:

- ECU box (tried two new ones)
- VR
- coil
- ballast resistor
- cap/rotor
- dist pickup

Replacing all these parts has done NOTHING to fix this issue. Double checked and all grounds are great. I can crank the car (bit of a harder start now) but it runs fine for about 10-15 minutes and then just idles down and dies. Doesn't misfire or pop...just dies. It cannot be restarted until it is cooled off.

I have monitored battery voltage and even disconnected the cooling fans and the charging circuit is not the cuplrit here. After the car dies, it still has plenty o' juice to crank (or try). Heck it will even die when the battery is charging at 13+ V.

After getting the engine to die, I pulled the #7 plug wire and hooked to spark plug tester. Seems to be erratic/no spark when this problem arises which would make sense. We have a running motor that just dies....no spark, right?

So afer replacing/swapping all these parts, problem is still there! What gives?

What else could cause this? Just about the entire ignition system has been replaced. Is there a underdash wire that could be shorting or something? I am assuming this must be heat-related as we run OK until it dies....

The funny thing is, this problem just came out of the blue. I had not changed ANYTHING ANYWHERE to begin this cycle...

I am running out of ideas here and wasting a lot of time in the garage.

Much more time on working this issue in the garage and my wife is going to serve me divorce papers!

Any help or ideas here are appreciated. What else could stop a running motor and kill its spark? Please !